Post-Game Talk: #76: Capitals at Flyers, Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I fell asleep right after they tied it up and woke up as OT was ending. Tough game. A series against the Caps would be interesting. While I think everyone and their mother would agree that Washington is the superior team, I kind of got the Philly-Pittsburgh vibe from a couple seasons ago where we might be able to just get under their skin enough to get over on them. This could be a series where a guy like Zac Rinaldo or Dan Carcillo could come in handy (cue flame war). A guy that can get under the skin and draw some penalties/stoke the crowd. Maybe Nick Cousins can be that guy but better.

Nicky Cuz can definitely do the job in agitator. He was built for that. Him and Laughton were definitely good for that.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I fell asleep right after they tied it up and woke up as OT was ending. Tough game. A series against the Caps would be interesting. While I think everyone and their mother would agree that Washington is the superior team, I kind of got the Philly-Pittsburgh vibe from a couple seasons ago where we might be able to just get under their skin enough to get over on them. This could be a series where a guy like Zac Rinaldo or Dan Carcillo could come in handy (cue flame war). A guy that can get under the skin and draw some penalties/stoke the crowd. Maybe Nick Cousins can be that guy but better.

I swear, some of the stuff you say..

:laugh:

Getting under their skin is probably essential for us to win the series, but in no way shape or form do we need useless plugs like Rinaldo and Carcillo around to get that job done.

Cousins, Gudas, White, hell even Giroux is good at getting under the skin.

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Flyers can beat Caps in a best of 7, but they need to stay out of the penalty box and get Holtby out of his comfort zone. In other words, traffic and no dumb penalties.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Last time I checked, that was the whole art of being good at faceoffs. I always loved (and mentioned this before on another thread awhile ago) when Lindros was in his mean mood and he would just say "frick the puck, I am going to bullrush this guy into through the end boards". Always cracked me up.

That is now a faceoff interference penalty, aka, the Lindros Rule.

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA

Cousins, White and Gudas should suffice. There's always Goulbourne waiting for his chance as well :naughty:

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
I loooooved when the microphone picked up on Simmonds yelling, "YOU ****ING SUCK" multiple times to Tom Wilson as they were barking at each other from the benches.

This was hilarious. Then Pierre commented on them beaking each other and I am pretty sure he just made something up.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This was hilarious. Then Pierre commented on them beaking each other and I am pretty sure he just made something up.

Best part is, Simmonds is not wrong! Wilson does "****ing suck"

If he didn't throw his weight around, he would be in the AHL.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

Getting under their skin is probably essential for us to win the series, but in no way shape or form do we need useless plugs like Rinaldo and Carcillo around to get that job done.

Meh. Rinaldo or Carcillo are infinitely better at the agitator aspect than these guys. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that if we lose it will be because we didn't have Rinaldo or that I wish Rinaldo was on this team or anything like that, I'm just saying in this type of series, that type of player could be useful. While Guas, Cousins, White, and Giroux may be able to get under the skin of players, none of them really are that type of player (Cousins could be but he hasn't done too much of it since becoming a regular).

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
A lot of respect has to go to Hakstol for what he's been able to do with this misaligned roster. The defense is being led by a skinny rookie and a throw in on a deadline trade from a year ago. However they end up being serviceable. They usually handle the forecheck; at least don't cough up the puck in their own end like they had been doing for the last two seasons. That's been a big improvement. There aren't any real top pairing guys on the blue line but when they can stay within themselves, they don't make the glaring mistakes of the past.
The team really has no decent LWs but a bunch of RWs playing out of position. Then there's the bottom six which, contrary to Pierre Maguire's assessment, struggle when on the ice due to their flaws. It's obvious that coaching has been the key to this club's success.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

Remember when Carcillo stoked the crowd by celebrating a fight against Talbot, and all it did was fire up the Pens who stormed back from 3-0 down to win 5-3 and end our season?

http://flyers.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2008030146

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Remember when Carcillo stoked the crowd by celebrating a fight against Talbot, and all it did was fire up the Pens who stormed back from 3-0 down to win 5-3 and end our season?

http://flyers.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/recap?id=2008030146

Nope, I do not recall such a thing. Never happened. Nope.

But yeah, Talbot with his "Shh" to the crowd and then years later Letang decided to pull that out after fighting Kimmo.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Meh. Rinaldo or Carcillo are infinitely better at the agitator aspect than these guys. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that if we lose it will be because we didn't have Rinaldo or that I wish Rinaldo was on this team or anything like that, I'm just saying in this type of series, that type of player could be useful. While Gudas, Cousins, White, and Giroux may be able to get under the skin of players, none of them really are that type of player (Cousins could be but he hasn't done too much of it since becoming a regular).

Rinaldo and Carcillo were horrible agitators. They both took more penalties than they drew.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Rinaldo and Carcillo were horrible agitators. They both took more penalties than they drew.

When your so-called agitators agitate their own fan base more than the other team then they provide little added value. Both needed to go...especially Carcillo who hasn't endeared himself with his trash talking of the Flyers since he was frog marched out of here. Biggest tool bag. Rinaldo with his rogue hits especially on Coots is another ahole...

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
No, no, no. Didn't you know the Caps didn't even try last night? If they really wanted to try and win they would have won by two touchdowns and Backstrom would have won at least one faceoff against Giroux.

Caps fans say the Flyers were gifted the tying goal last night.:laugh:
i know every fan base *****es about the refs, but they take it to a new level.
They probably think they should be undefeated right now but those damn refs have gotten in the way of that.

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015
Best part is, Simmonds is not wrong! Wilson does "****ing suck"

If he didn't throw his weight around, he would be in the AHL.

Yeah someone should really make a gif of it for future use.

I mean Wilson could always improve, but like someone else said his biggest downfall is his hockey IQ. He's been trained to basically be a bigger Rinaldo.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Meh. Rinaldo or Carcillo are infinitely better at the agitator aspect than these guys. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that if we lose it will be because we didn't have Rinaldo or that I wish Rinaldo was on this team or anything like that, I'm just saying in this type of series, that type of player could be useful. While Guas, Cousins, White, and Giroux may be able to get under the skin of players, none of them really are that type of player (Cousins could be but he hasn't done too much of it since becoming a regular).

So are you saying you would rather have Carcillo or Rinaldo in the lineup over Cousins or White?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

This.

There was one season where Rinaldo did a good job at it. The rest of his career here was by in large, a disgrace.

Carcillo is a lot like White in that in his prime, he could chip in the odd goal and play the system properly..but Carcillo was much more of a loose cannon than White. He had no boundaries or respect for his opponents.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Caps fans say the Flyers were gifted the tying goal last night.:laugh:
i know every fan base *****es about the refs, but they take it to a new level.
They probably think they should be undefeated right now but those damn refs have gotten in the way of that.

Did they forget that they scored their 1st goal on the Powerplay after a soft call against us..just moments after the refs like Chimera skewer Ghost?

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
I think Schenn should be used in the Shootout and in 3 on 3. He has been one of our best forwards this year. Despite the win last night, i thought Bellemare was over played. Cousins has looked subpar too me as well. Very well in the shootout, and decent 5 on 5 play. He's still young though. Would like to see Laughton back it. Laughton seems to be hard nosed, much like VandeVelde, but he can actually provide offence. Laughton actually had 19 points this year.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think Schenn should be used in the Shootout and in 3 on 3. He has been one of our best forwards this year. Despite the win last night, i thought Bellemare was over played. Cousins has looked subpar too me as well. Very well in the shootout, and decent 5 on 5 play. He's still young though. Would like to see Laughton back it. Laughton seems to be hard nosed, much like VandeVelde, but he can actually provide offence. Laughton actually had 19 points this year.

I can't wrap my head around why Bellemare is used over Schenn in 3 on 3.

Schenn and Simmonds seem like a smart fit. I'm sure Brayden can be coached to not over-commit offensively so we don't get caught in odd-man rushes the other way.

SuchySays

Jun 25, 2012
Poconos

Schenn is 1-for-10 in his career I believe in the shootout.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011

Schenn and Simmonds seem like a smart fit. I'm sure Brayden can be coached to not over-commit offensively so we don't get caught in odd-man rushes the other way.

It might be because of faceoffs. Schenn would have to take them if him and Simmonds were out there.

That said, I'd still prefer to use him over Belle. I also think that Couturier-Schenn would be a better pairing than Couturier-Simmonds.

Giroux-Voracek
Couturier-Schenn
Bellemare??-Simmonds

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

Bellemare is a much better skater than Schenn, and plays a better two-way game. They can't risk putting Simmonds and Schenn together 3on3, that could be a disaster.

I would not use Simmonds 3on3, frankly. Can't handle or pass the puck at all. His bad pass created a turnover that led to him taking a really dumb penalty in OT. I'm questioning Simmonds' hockey sense more and more lately, since he refuses to display any.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad