OT: 75th Obsequious Banter Thread: Pour Yourself A Kool-Aid As Tall As Hal Gill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
She grew up with the Fox dub. I've watched both and agree with her that the Fox version is better, but I can watch either one without issue.

I can understand that. Growing up with something usually leads to attachment. Thats not to say shes wrong. The Fox dub may very well be better.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I can understand that. Growing up with something usually leads to attachment. Thats not to say shes wrong. The Fox dub may very well be better.

The Fanning sisters are fine, but there's something about the girls' portrayals that's more "childish" in the Fox version.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Spirited Away’s dub is fantastic. Agreed. But shoutout to Kiki — Kirsten Dunst and Phil Hartman knock it out of the park. Two of my favorite performances in the collection.

I wouldn’t call the Disney Totoro my favorite vocal performance by the Fannings, but there’s very few performances in the Ghibli dubs that aren’t downright excellent. The Wind Rises was a little flat though as a whole. But that’s not entirely a criticism of just the vocals.

The only one I find slightly off is Only Yesterday (a more mature film by Miyazaki’s partner, Takahata) that only recently got released in English a few years ago. Great performances in an underrated gem, but Dev Patel does an English accent, whereas Daisy Ridley and everyone else is American. It’s a little jarring and curious of a directing choice.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Watched Portrait of a Lady on Fire. It was aces. Best movie I've seen in awhile.

Warning to some of you: Artistic and romantic.

Reactions: Rebels57

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Spirited Away’s dub is fantastic. Agreed. But shoutout to Kiki — Kirsten Dunst and Phil Hartman knock it out of the park. Two of my favorite performances in the collection.

I wouldn’t call the Disney Totoro my favorite vocal performance by the Fannings, but there’s very few performances in the Ghibli dubs that aren’t downright excellent. The Wind Rises was a little flat though as a whole. But that’s not entirely a criticism of just the vocals.

The only one I find slightly off is Only Yesterday (a more mature film by Miyazaki’s partner, Takahata) that only recently got released in English a few years ago. Great performances in an underrated gem, but Dev Patel does an English accent, whereas Daisy Ridley and everyone else is American. It’s a little jarring and curious of a directing choice.

See, I can't tolerate dubs at all. I'm completely in love with Japan and want everything to be Japanese - that is probably the reason. I'm really sick of America and want them to keep their grubby hands off lol

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I can't tolerate dubs either

Also apparently it's my 10 year anniversary on HFboards I got a badge and everything

Screenshot_20200707-100239.png

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
So I want to give dark another shot, but I think I couldn’t tell almost anyone apart from each other. Any tips?
I have a buddy who literally took notes while he was watching.

If you know how to wade through the garbage, Reddit does a decent job of compiling plot points and characters into one place. I would only read the Post-Episode discussion for whatever episode you just watched if you're feeling overwhelmed. Don't dig around in the main page or you'll risk spoilers. It helps with some character connections that weren't directly spelled out in the plot while reminding you that basically everyone is as lost as you are while watching the show. Some cool little easter eggs are possible too.

Again though, it's about 90% garbage so take it with a grain of salt.

Also, this link will give you a family tree based on which season/episode you are on. It's definitely helpful to see names with faces. THE END IS THE BEGINNING

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I have a buddy who literally took notes while he was watching.

If you know how to wade through the garbage, Reddit does a decent job of compiling plot points and characters into one place. I would only read the Post-Episode discussion for whatever episode you just watched if you're feeling overwhelmed. Don't dig around in the main page or you'll risk spoilers. It helps with some character connections that weren't directly spelled out in the plot while reminding you that basically everyone is as lost as you are while watching the show. Some cool little easter eggs are possible too.

Again though, it's about 90% garbage so take it with a grain of salt.

Also, this link will give you a family tree based on which season/episode you are on. It's definitely helpful to see names with faces. THE END IS THE BEGINNING
Your the man ty

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I just had major surgery on Tuesday to hopefully rid my cancer for good. Just sucks that it was right down the middle of my belly so my stomach muscles are shot for a while.

****ing hell, dude. Get well soon. F*** cancer. We'll all keep shooting good thoughts your way.

2020 is the ****ing worst, seriously.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Anyone watch Hamilton on Disney+ yet? I wasn't boujee enough to see it on Broadway, so I was pleased to see it drop on D+. Watched the first half last night. I'll wait to finish the whole thing, but holy shit some of those people can sing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad