OT: 75th Obsequious Banter Thread: Pour Yourself A Kool-Aid As Tall As Hal Gill

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
See :

Happy Gilmore
Cool Runnings
Dodgeball
Caddyshack

and yeh, all very enjoyable.

Ford vs Ferrari was great... saw it in the cinema.

Will check out a few of the others for sure.

Wait, have you not seen Major League yet?

I would also add Youngblood, Goon 1, and Goon 2 to the list for Hockey movies.

42 and 61* are both good Baseball movies that people sleep on. A League of their Own is a classic.

The Legend of Bagger Vance is a great golf movie.

Reactions: Tripod

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
Anyone recommend any genuinely good sports films?

The Fighter
The Wrestler
Moneyball
The Express
Bull Durham
Miracle
The Blind Side
Remember the Titans
Slap Shot
Jerry McGuire
White Men Can't Jump

are all good to solid... and have seen them all... but always seems to be a genre without as many real high end, class, films as others.
I've never seen either version of The Longest yard but figure the original with Burt Reynolds is probably the way to go. And I'll always have a soft spot for The Waterboy.

Ooh, just remembered Shaolin Soccer!

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Wait, have you not seen Major League yet?

I would also add Youngblood, Goon 1, and Goon 2 to the list for Hockey movies.

42 and 61* are both good Baseball movies that people sleep on. A League of their Own is a classic.

The Legend of Bagger Vance is a great golf movie.

Seen the Goon films but none of the others. Will have to add to my list.

Reactions: Rebels57

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Just got the results of my MRI for my right knee after getting checked playing hockey a week ago, seems like I dodged a bullet. I wont need surgery but did manage to get a high grade sprain with partial tear of my ACL, Muscle injury near my femor, and a grade 3 injury to patella.

Moral of the story, guys who throw checks in beer league hockey are idiots.
sorry to hear the bad news but glad its not worse then it is. i used to have to constantly remind knuckleheads that 99% have to work tomorrow but, jackasses are jackasses.

Hextallent63

Oct 13, 2011
Anyone recommend any genuinely good sports films?

The Fighter
The Wrestler
Moneyball
The Express
Bull Durham
Miracle
The Blind Side
Remember the Titans
Slap Shot
Jerry McGuire
White Men Can't Jump

are all good to solid... and have seen them all... but always seems to be a genre without as many real high end, class, films as others.
when ever people ask/talk about sports movies they may not have seen i always recommend Cinderella man. depression era boxing movie.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I like these true story sports movies when Hollywood takes liberties & makes someone an antagonist when in reality they weren’t.

Like in “Rudy” they made Dan Devine the antagonist which got him really pissed off as that didn’t happen in reality. Like the plan was always for Rudy to dress in the last game & possibly get him. There wasn’t a scenario where the players walked into his office & laid their jersey’s there demanding for Rudy to dress/play.

In general college football coaches love walk-on’s even at times to their own detriment.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I like these true story sports movies when Hollywood takes liberties & makes someone an antagonist when in reality they weren’t.

Like in “Rudy” they made Dan Devine the antagonist which got him really pissed off as that didn’t happen in reality. Like the plan was always for Rudy to dress in the last game & possibly get him. There wasn’t a scenario where the players walked into his office & laid their jersey’s there demanding for Rudy to dress/play.

In general college football coaches love walk-on’s even at times to their own detriment.

Yeah, like how they made Drago into a bad guy all because Apollo Creed couldn't take a few roid-fueled punches to the brain.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
Yeah, like how they made Drago into a bad guy all because Apollo Creed couldn't take a few roid-fueled punches to the brain.
It's ridiculous that they made Drago into a steroid monkey. Just another obstacle for Rocky to overcome: a cheating Soviet.

Rocky's already fighting in hostile territory, in a country with few English speakers away from his family, at Christmas, against the guy who killed his mentor and best friend. Not enough, though; better put the dude on steroids. :laugh:

Reactions: Beef Invictus

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
@Appleyard

Movies I didn't see above:

Youngblood - hockey movie
Red Army - hockey movie
Senna
Chariots of Fire
Field of Dreams
Tin Cup
The Natural
The Pride of the Yankees
The Bad News Bears
Invictus
The Damned United
Ali - Jon Voight alone is worth it, even if the movie isn't all that great
When We Were Kings
Murderball
The Air Up There
Hoop Dreams
The Hustler

And if you haven't seen them before, treat yourself to as many of the ESPN 30 for 30's as you can.

Reactions: Jtown

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
A few other great Boxing movies outside of Rocky

Creed I & II
Raging Bull
Cinderella Man
The Fighter

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
I don’t see rollerball, rollerball 2000, the movie where ice t is homeless and hunted for SPORT(thus it counts), there’s also a post futuristic mad max like sports movie with Rutger Hauer that I enjoyed Blood of Heroes, Bloodsport, The Quest (which is basically bloodsport but 60 years before bloodsport).

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
McMillions on HBO is one of the greatest things I've ever watched. The people involved are absolute characters. The story is absurd. I loved every part. A glorious 6 part series.

If they didn't have the footage of these people from 20 years ago, I would think the entire thing is a Mockumentary with actors... or this whole think could be a Boyhood situation and they've been planning and filming for the past 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad