OT: 75th Obsequious Banter Thread: Pour Yourself A Kool-Aid As Tall As Hal Gill

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Anyone watch Hamilton on Disney+ yet? I wasn't boujee enough to see it on Broadway, so I was pleased to see it drop on D+. Watched the first half last night. I'll wait to finish the whole thing, but holy shit some of those people can sing.

we will see it at some point. My brother in law was raving about it a couple years ago when he saw it live in NYC

Lord Defect

Secretary of Blowtorching
Nov 13, 2013
My cousin spent 11 hours in surgery today to remove a tumor on her brain. They said it all went well. Can't imagine doctors/nurses doing that for so long. You all who work in healthcare are fantastic!

Also, great to hear Snake. Kick cancers ass!
I’ve always wondered if a 12 hour surgery is legitimately 12 hours of cutting and like active other surgery type stuff(sorry I’m watching the Epstein thing while writing and losing my train of thought).
Anyhow, I’m glad to hear your cousins surgery was a success and I hope he has a healthy, speedy, recovery.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I’ve always wondered if a 12 hour surgery is legitimately 12 hours of cutting and like active other surgery type stuff(sorry I’m watching the Epstein thing while writing and losing my train of thought).
Anyhow, I’m glad to hear your cousins surgery was a success and I hope he has a healthy, speedy, recovery.
Well if SHE, turned into a HE, then they did the wrong surgery!

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Anyone watch Hamilton on Disney+ yet? I wasn't boujee enough to see it on Broadway, so I was pleased to see it drop on D+. Watched the first half last night. I'll wait to finish the whole thing, but holy shit some of those people can sing.

It is pretty effing great

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
It is pretty effing great
I actually just finished it. Part of the hype seems to be just how unique it is, but it certainly was fantastic. Ending didn’t have as much power as I would’ve liked I think. The cabinet rap battles were legitimately awesome. Couple awesome songs and like I alluded to before some really good performers.
I still liked Book of Mormon better, though I did see that live.

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.

I actually just finished it. Part of the hype seems to be just how unique it is, but it certainly was fantastic. Ending didn’t have as much power as I would’ve liked I think. The cabinet rap battles were legitimately awesome. Couple awesome songs and like I alluded to before some really good performers.

I saw it on Broadway and while you do lose some aspects for the recording, it is still a great experience. Unbelievably talented people performing one of the most creative things in modern history. There are some more "not in the show" songs, including another cabinet rap battle. They are mostly in the Hamildrop Series, like this Ben Franklin song... which is NSFW

Reactions: Rebels57

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I saw it when it came to Philly, walnut street theater, I think. I was expecting to be completely let down as it was garnering so much hype that it could never live up to it.

It does. And then some. Its such a creatively fun and well done experience. The Disney+ version is all you really need, though I have to admit the guy thay played Aaron Burr in Philly did so much better in the Philly version than this one. I also liked Phillys Jefferson better as well. But the Disney+ versions Washington is an absolute stud. He has such an incredible voice, its not even fair to the rest of the cast.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
Spirited Away’s dub is fantastic. Agreed. But shoutout to Kiki — Kirsten Dunst and Phil Hartman knock it out of the park. Two of my favorite performances in the collection.

I wouldn’t call the Disney Totoro my favorite vocal performance by the Fannings, but there’s very few performances in the Ghibli dubs that aren’t downright excellent. The Wind Rises was a little flat though as a whole. But that’s not entirely a criticism of just the vocals.

The only one I find slightly off is Only Yesterday (a more mature film by Miyazaki’s partner, Takahata) that only recently got released in English a few years ago. Great performances in an underrated gem, but Dev Patel does an English accent, whereas Daisy Ridley and everyone else is American. It’s a little jarring and curious of a directing choice.

Yeah, Kiki is excellent. My wife was especially let down by The Wind Rises. Also, Billy Crystal was quite good in Howl's.

Reactions: Magua

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I saw it when it came to Philly, walnut street theater, I think. I was expecting to be completely let down as it was garnering so much hype that it could never live up to it.

It does. And then some. Its such a creatively fun and well done experience. The Disney+ version is all you really need, though I have to admit the guy thay played Aaron Burr in Philly did so much better in the Philly version than this one. I also liked Phillys Jefferson better as well. But the Disney+ versions Washington is an absolute stud. He has such an incredible voice, its not even fair to the rest of the cast.

Wait, a different actor played Aaron Burr in the Philly version you saw and you liked him better than the original Burr, Leslie Odom Jr?

Just curious..because Odom Jr. was fantastic..best part of the show..won a Tony over Miranda for Best Actor.

Reactions: Starat327

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Wait, a different actor played Aaron Burr in the Philly version you saw and you liked him better than the original Burr, Leslie Odom Jr?

Just curious..because Odom Jr. was fantastic..best part of the show..won a Tony over Miranda for Best Actor.

I know that's a weird take, but yes. That isnt a slight on Odom, either. But the guy who played in him Philly was phenomenal, i think. ( i cant find the playbill unfortunately, and a quick google search shows that it was not in fact Jared Dixon). He looked, honestly, like the gentleman who plays Washington in the Disney+/Original version. The Washington in my show was also a gargantuan of a man.

Reactions: Rebels57

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018

I was a big fan of Leslie Odom Jr. Wait for It was one of my favorite songs.

I have to say that I was unimpressed by Miranda's performance. Obviously he is incredibly talented and what he did is incredible (same with Moana), but I came away unimpressed.

I loved Jefferson, Washington, Burr, Angelica, and King George.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

I have to say that I was unimpressed by Miranda's performance. Obviously he is incredibly talented and what he did is incredible (same with Moana), but I came away unimpressed.

Yeah, Miranda's performance itself pales in comparison to a lot of the others in that show.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Miranda definitely has his moments (especially during courtroom scenes) but the rest of the cast around him are far more talented performers. Miranda's true genius was in the writing and production.

Also, it was really baffling to me seeing Jonathan Groff as King George. I had only ever seen him before in Mindhunters, which could not possibly be any different lol. I will never look at him the same way again after seeing him as the slapsticky King George.

Da-da-da-da-da-da ..Da-da-da-DIYYAA-da

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
Miranda definitely has his moments (especially during courtroom scenes) but the rest of the cast around him are far more talented performers. Miranda's true genius was in the writing and production.

Also, it was really baffling to me seeing Jonathan Groff as King George. I had only ever seen him before in Mindhunters, which could not possibly be any different lol. I will never look at him the same way again after seeing him as the slapsticky King George.
I only knew him from Frozen. Hadn't ever seen Mindhunters. My wife had though and said the same thing

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I think Mindhunters is really good. Would recommend.

Unfortunately, there may never be another season. They released all of the actors from their contracts.

The way they're weaving through the historical roots of the program, as well as the ongoing investigations they consulted on, is quite good. And the interview scenes, especially with Kemper, are both chilling and fascinating.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unfortunately, there may never be another season. They released all of the actors from their contracts.

The way they're weaving through the historical roots of the program, as well as the ongoing investigations they consulted on, is quite good. And the interview scenes, especially with Kemper, are both chilling and fascinating.
Aww really? I didn't know that...

That'd be really disappointing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad