Post-Game Talk: #75 | Rangers 3 at FLYERS 4 | Thu., Mar. 22, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I think Hakstol has a mandate from Hextall to focus on player development, which is why he's harder on Konecny than Voracek, because you're not going to coach up Voracek. And Konecny will be right back on the 1st line Wednesday, the same way Sanheim will be right back on the 2nd D pair. And he's not going to be as hard on Manning, because at this point, Manning is what he is, a 7th D-man and it's a waste of time to push him.

The other problem is that every D-man has played worse with Gudas this year, and that's going to be a tough offseason decision, did Gudas regress back to his norm or can you expect him to bounce back to last season's performance.

Weal was bad, I'm not surprised Lehtera played over him in the 3rd period, because Lehtera looked better. Weal just isn't very good, and late in the season he seems to have lost half a stride, which is his only edge over Lehtera, who looks like he got in shape and gained half a stride.

Come the offseason you'll see who they really like from Hextall's roster decisions, who he resigns, who he trades, who he lets walk.
And some of those "favorites" will meet the same fate as VdV, MDZ, Schenn and other players let go from last year's team.

I expect Manning and Filppula to be long gone, that Hextall will try to move some other guys and buy out a player or two (or bury them in the AHL like MacDonald two years ago and Read this season). Weal, Leier are on the bubble, Laughton has regressed the second half of the season.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The double standards are insane.

It's clearly not a matter of quality of play, since it's not even debatable that Konecny is one of the teams best players.

Even IF he was as bad defensibly as this idiot likes to pretend, which he obviously isn't, there's still many players on the roster who are far far far far worse. But those guys are out there all game long and in every situation.

Look at these icetimes...
Filppula 16:36
Simmonds 15:10
Read 13:52
Lehtera 13:41

Meanwhile...
Konecny 12:29
Patrick 14:43

You see the same horrific bias when you look at the defense...
MacDonald 19:56
Manning 19:36
Gudas 19:49

But...
Sanheim 16:48

Hakstol legitimately loves these awful players. There's simply no excuse or defense of this. End of story.
NHL coaches are some of the least intelligent things on the planet, along with the people who attempt to defend them.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Also, is there even anyone on here who disagrees that Patrick's been one of our best players lately? He's been absolutely fantastic.

Last 10 games...
14:43
16:23
14:29
12:51

17:24
13:07
16:52
14:16
13:41

So 3 games in the last 10 where he wasn't underused. Nobody is asking for him to play 20+ minutes per night... but keep him between 16-18 where he belongs. More time for him, less time for trash, everybody wins.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The double standards are insane.

It's clearly not a matter of quality of play, since it's not even debatable that Konecny is one of the teams best players.

Even IF he was as bad defensibly as this idiot likes to pretend, which he obviously isn't, there's still many players on the roster who are far far far far worse. But those guys are out there all game long and in every situation.

Look at these icetimes...
Filppula 16:36
Simmonds 15:10
Read 13:52
Lehtera 13:41

Meanwhile...
Konecny 12:29
Patrick 14:43

You see the same horrific bias when you look at the defense...
MacDonald 19:56
Manning 19:36
Gudas 19:49

But...
Sanheim 16:48

Hakstol legitimately loves these awful players. There's simply no excuse or defense of this. End of story.
NHL coaches are some of the least intelligent things on the planet, along with the people who attempt to defend them.

I am probably ok with Sanheim getting 17-19 minutes a night right now.
But AMAC and Manning getting 20? yeah uhh no.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Also, is there even anyone on here who disagrees that Patrick's been one of our best players lately? He's been absolutely fantastic.

Last 10 games...
14:43
16:23
14:29
12:51

17:24
13:07
16:52
14:16

So 3 games in the last 10 where he wasn't underused. Nobody is asking for him to play 20+ minutes per night... but keep him between 16-18 where he belongs. More time for him, less time for trash, everybody wins.

I'd pump the brakes a little bit on Patrick. Yes, he's playing much better and looks like he's going to be a beast, but in his last 10 games he has 0 goals and 5 assists while averaging 14:43. I wouldn't define that as "absolutely fantastic." It's tied for 7th on the team in points in that span.

Interestingly, Andrew MacDonald has 6 points in his last 9 games and is +10.
Ghost has 5 points in his last 10 games and is a frightening -11.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I'd pump the brakes a little bit on Patrick. Yes, he's playing much better and looks like he's going to be a beast, but in his last 10 games he has 0 goals and 5 assists while averaging 14:43. I wouldn't define that as "absolutely fantastic." It's tied for 7th on the team in points in that span.

Interestingly, Andrew MacDonald has 6 points in his last 9 games and is +10.
Ghost has 5 points in his last 10 games and is a frightening -11.
Quality of play isn't always properly represented in scoring. Guys can either get lucky or unlucky.

Especially with sample sizes like this.

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Two OTs would be limited to playoffs. I don't think anyone scored in double OT against the Rangers unless I am forgetting something obvious. Mark Howe had that incredible goal to open the 1985 playoffs: one important goal as it helped exorcise the demons of the prior three playoffs. In 1995, Eric Desjardins and Kevin Haller scored OT goals on consecutive days against the Rangers and both were d-men.

Haller was the "I don't believe it. OH MY GOD. Bedlam at the Spectrum!!!!!" (approx. 3:47)

Yes, Kevin Haller

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Two OTs would be limited to playoffs. I don't think anyone scored in double OT against the Rangers unless I am forgetting something obvious. Mark Howe had that incredible goal to open the 1985 playoffs: one important goal as it helped exorcise the demons of the prior three playoffs. In 1995, Eric Desjardins and Kevin Haller scored OT goals on consecutive days against the Rangers and both were d-men.

Haller was the "I don't believe it. OH MY GOD. Bedlam at the Spectrum!!!!!" (approx. 3:47)

According to this it was 25 seconds in which is why I brought it up.

Flyers History - Playoff Overtime Goals

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think Hakstol has a mandate from Hextall to focus on player development, which is why he's harder on Konecny than Voracek, because you're not going to coach up Voracek. And Konecny will be right back on the 1st line Wednesday, the same way Sanheim will be right back on the 2nd D pair. And he's not going to be as hard on Manning, because at this point, Manning is what he is, a 7th D-man and it's a waste of time to push him.

The other problem is that every D-man has played worse with Gudas this year, and that's going to be a tough offseason decision, did Gudas regress back to his norm or can you expect him to bounce back to last season's performance.

Weal was bad, I'm not surprised Lehtera played over him in the 3rd period, because Lehtera looked better. Weal just isn't very good, and late in the season he seems to have lost half a stride, which is his only edge over Lehtera, who looks like he got in shape and gained half a stride.

Come the offseason you'll see who they really like from Hextall's roster decisions, who he resigns, who he trades, who he lets walk.
And some of those "favorites" will meet the same fate as VdV, MDZ, Schenn and other players let go from last year's team.

I expect Manning and Filppula to be long gone, that Hextall will try to move some other guys and buy out a player or two (or bury them in the AHL like MacDonald two years ago and Read this season). Weal, Leier are on the bubble, Laughton has regressed the second half of the season.

Players need to play to develop. And, we have one player revealing they found success only after ignoring Hak, and others AND Hak admitting he doesn't work with them.

He isn't developing anything. He's garbage on that front.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Alexei Kovalev had over 1,000 points in his NHL career and won a Stanley Cup. Messier was quoted as saying Kovalev was the most important player on the ice during the finals/ playoffs.

I think I'll take that. Lol!!
In his time, Kovalev was near universally derided by anyone who understood the game. Magnificently gifted, remarkably lazy, never saw a backchecking opportunity he couldn’t glide through.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
In his time, Kovalev was near universally derided by anyone who understood the game. Magnificently gifted, remarkably lazy, never saw a backchecking opportunity he couldn’t glide through.

TK doesn't do anything like that at all. The guy is all hustle all the time. When the other team has the puck, he wants it.

Hakstol is inventing things to justify his terrible decisions.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Yes. He did. He has something against TK. Multiple players who are inferior, even defensively, are never punished for it like he is.
He has something against him, which is why he has him on the top line with two All Stars? Listen to yourself.

He thinks Konecny can be a ten year top line killer for the Flyers, that’s why he’s trying to teach him.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
TK doesn't do anything like that at all. The guy is all hustle all the time. When the other team has the puck, he wants it.

Hakstol is inventing things to justify his terrible decisions.
Right. Guy scores two goals and hustles all the time but the coach “benched” him because he has something against him.

Ludicrous.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad