Post-Game Talk: #75 | Rangers 3 at FLYERS 4 | Thu., Mar. 22, 2018, 7:00 pm ET

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
As I've said, TK's turnovers are offset by the way he drives possession. Read doesn't do that. If he turns it over, the puck is far more likely to stay in his end than happens when TK is on the ice. There is no good reasoning behind Hak's decision.

How is TK going to learn by not playing? If not playing fixes ills in players, then why isn't the rest of the roster benched for their gaffes?

You say TK "drives possession," but ignore that Read has had a higher CF% Rel the last two seasons.

You say turnovers are offset by driving possession, but if you're protecting a lead in the third, one bad turnover leading to a breakaway or 2-on-1 can cost you a very necessary 2 points.

That's not something that simply "driving possession" can compensate for in a matter of one period.

As many have pointed out, the Flyers have very clearly made it their mission to teach their young players how to do things "the right way." It's an investment now that will pay dividends later. TK's not going to learn anything if there aren't repercussions for his poor decisionmaking.

With veterans, they already are who they are. That said, Weise is a regular scratch; Read spent most of the year in the AHL; and Gudas has played 3rd pairing minutes, so they aren't wholly deferential to vets.

I would have played Konecny, but I think this is something that's getting blown way out of proportion due to a deeply ingrained hatred of the coach, love of the young stars, and passion for blasting every Hakstol decision possible.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You say TK "drives possession," but ignore that Read has had a higher CF% Rel the last two seasons.

You say turnovers are offset by driving possession, but if you're protecting a lead in the third, one bad turnover leading to a breakaway or 2-on-1 can cost you a very necessary 2 points.

That's not something that simply "driving possession" can compensate for in a matter of one period.

As many have pointed out, the Flyers have very clearly made it their mission to teach their young players how to do things "the right way." It's an investment now that will pay dividends later. TK's not going to learn anything if there aren't repercussions for his poor decisionmaking.

With veterans, they already are who they are. That said, Weise is a regular scratch; Read spent most of the year in the AHL; and Gudas has played 3rd pairing minutes, so they aren't wholly deferential to vets.

I would have played Konecny, but I think this is something that's getting blown way out of proportion due to a deeply ingrained hatred of the coach, love of the young stars, and passion for blasting every Hakstol decision possible.

Ah, the cherry picking begins.

Of course you combine the two years. It's convenient for your argument. Lets look at the here and now. In 12 games so far Read sits at .2, compared to TK's 3.1.

So, yeah...no justification. Read is not better at guarding a lead. He's not done anything to.warrant taking TKs place.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Ah, the cherry picking begins.

Of course you combine the two years. It's convenient for your argument. Lets look at the here and now. In 12 games so far Read sits at .2, compared to TK's 3.1.

So, yeah...no justification. Read is not better at guarding a lead. He's not done anything to.warrant taking TKs place.

No, I meant each of the last two seasons.

This season Read's CF% Rel is 1.08. Konecny's is -0.19.
Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Last season Read was 4.26 vs. Konecny's -0.76.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
LOL

The Thrill of Victory
and the Agony of Reading About it on HFBoards

Sorry about being the type of fan that can see the warts that will artificially cap this teams potential even when they win?

I love winning, glad they won this game. But I want to talk to other fans that can see the issues even in victory. Something high level coaches do as well.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
MXFR7io.jpg

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
This is an excuse for doing things the way they've been done simply for the sake of it. We're not dealing with a disruptive person by any reports, right?
I don’t know. Do you consider being reckless with the puck and lazy in the neutral and defensive zones disruptive?

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Sorry about being the type of fan that can see the warts that will artificially cap this teams potential even when they win?

I love winning, glad they won this game. But I want to talk to other fans that can see the issues even in victory. Something high level coaches do as well.
If you were the Flyers GM and the Oenguins GM called you with an offer to trade his entire rost

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don’t know. Do you consider being reckless with the puck and lazy in the neutral and defensive zones disruptive?

Yeah that intercepted pass in the neutral zone that led to our 1st goal against the Rangers, that he scored of course, was very lazy.

JXC

Dec 28, 2005

If you were the Flyers GM and the Penguins GM called you and offered to trade his entire roster for yours, would you take it?

JXC

Dec 28, 2005
Yeah that intercepted pass in the neutral zone that led to our 1st goal against the Rangers, that he scored of course, was very lazy.
Not sure how that’s related to this discussion.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Read was sent down because Hak didn't want him on the team. His cap hit is too high to keep in the pressbox. This is a really, really, really, really, really, really simple concept.

You get a maximum of ~$1m in cap relief by demoting a player, so saying Read’s $3.625m cap hit was too high to keep him in the press box makes no sense. Weise’s cap hit is $2.35m and Lehtera’s is $4.7m, but the Flyers would have got the exact same amount of cap savings by demoting either of them. And Lehtera and Weise have already spent 50 combined games in the press box this season.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
If you were the Flyers GM and the Oenguins GM called you with an offer to trade his entire rost

No I would trade them our roster for the right to claim all their past Stanley cups and the first they won with their new uber roster, a ticket from the Jungle to Philly for @Captain Dave Poulin and for the cup to be filled with an endless supply of gravy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad