Post-Game Talk: #75| FLYERS 6 at Penguins 2| Sunday, March 26, 2017

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
Guys, we just destroyed our arch rivals.

Stop being such sour human beings.

Don't you understand? We would have destroyed them even more if not for Hakstok, PEB, and VDV. Also, this win hurts our draft position, and we would have lost this game had we had a better coach. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Couturier finding his game is a legit silver lining to this dreary season. I am pleased.

76 and 78 are terrible, just terrible. Watching them on the PK will take years off my life.

Konecny with them must be Hak saying "just concentrate on defense, stop trying to score". Ok, fine. But those two scrubs are just so bad, you worry whether it'll impair TK even more than he already has been.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Jordan Weal has as many points as PEB and 5 less than VDV.

He may get more than both by years end

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Already a 3 page "Simmonds chicken wings blah blah blah..." thread on the main board. Typically, responses range from incidental contact to "typical Flyers thug, should be 10 games" garbage.

In a vacuum, that was a dirty play and Simmonds deserves a call from the DoPS. The fact that he didn't even get penalized looks pretty bad on the refs. I'd want Simmonds to get at least a game because I want every player who hits an opponent's head through recklessness or deliberately to be suspended.

But I can understand why many would be upset if Simmonds gets supplementary discipline because far worse has been ignored with regularity. Plus, because DoPS has illogically tied suspensions to extent of injury, the return of Dumoulin to the game gives them the green light to hit the 'stop' button on the PVR for this one.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009
On the game, I am disappointed with myself for having a "No!!!" initial response to seeing the score. My hope that the team is showing promise for next season is tempered by considering how amateurish the line-up has been in other recent games. I am glad to read about Gostisbehere's seeming renewed confidence, Konecny's flair, and Couturier's strong game of late.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
seems like the flyers set the world on fire one game then look lost offensively the next one. going on the way they have played of late, the Ottawa game will be a struggle offensively after scoring 6 last night. only watched the last half of the game but I thought we played good but the pens beat themselves as well. they played absolutely horrible but glad we took advantage. always good to beat that crybaby fan base.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm glad Weise seems to be coming around. I don't care that it's late. We will most likely be stuck with him, if he can be useful next year, that's what's important

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
In a vacuum, that was a dirty play and Simmonds deserves a call from the DoPS. The fact that he didn't even get penalized looks pretty bad on the refs. I'd want Simmonds to get at least a game because I want every player who hits an opponent's head through recklessness or deliberately to be suspended.

But I can understand why many would be upset if Simmonds gets supplementary discipline because far worse has been ignored with regularity. Plus, because DoPS has illogically tied suspensions to extent of injury, the return of Dumoulin to the game gives them the green light to hit the 'stop' button on the PVR for this one.

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
It's not illogical to use the level of injury to help determine what the punishment should be. That's what happens in criminal and civil law.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
It's not illogical to use the level of injury to help determine what the punishment should be. That's what happens in criminal and civil law.

True, but if the same hit is applied to two people, one is more effected than the other, does that make the hit less dangerous? It shouldn't, it's still a dangerous hit.

BernieParent

Mar 13, 2009

There is much more nuance than that in criminal / civil law. Attempted murder is still severely punished. I'd be fine if DoPS tacked on games to a base suspension further to injury but it is absolutely illogical to not suspend a player at all for a dirty play that doesn't result in an injury.

As Heisenberg said, the onus then shifts to the relatively health of the victim. Should two identical elbows to the head be punished differently if one recipient is out for a month due to the latest in a long history of multiple concussions and the other is made of silly putty like Brayden Schenn?

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
What is funny is that last year Subban chicken winged Giroux far more blatantly... and concussed him in doing so.

And all we got on the main boards was a thread calling Giroux a diver.

And of course Subban was not fined, never-mind suspended.

I forgot about that -- it was absolutely appalling that the league did nothing.

I think Simmonds deserves a suspension based on the league's policies -- if Dumoulin weren't wearing a face shield, the outcome would have been a lot worse, and it was clearly an intentional elbow to the head -- but the league's inconsistency is despicable.

HereNow16

Oct 18, 2016
Germany
This is probably a stupid question, but if anyone could explain to me why Giroux was given the assist on Gudas' empty net goal, I'd be grateful.
I mean, he was close to the Pens player (Schultz?) before the puck went to Gudas, but I don't think he got his stick on it. Or if he did, not in any controlled way. I thought it had to be a controlled play to count as an assist, or am I wrong there?

Origina1Master

Mar 15, 2015

I agree for the most part, but I don't think this was a dirty play by Simmonds. Watching the replay it looks like he is trying to get the puck. The puck is in the air and goes by his body; Simmonds reacts by trying to hit it with his arm, but he misses the puck and ends up elbowing Dumoulin in the head.

I agree that even if it was an accident it should be at least penalized, and if there's an injury then a suspension (in this specific case). I don't think this deserves a suspension though.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I agree for the most part, but I don't think this was a dirty play by Simmonds. Watching the replay it looks like he is trying to get the puck. The puck is in the air and goes by his body; Simmonds reacts by trying to hit it with his arm, but he misses the puck and ends up elbowing Dumoulin in the head.

I agree that even if it was an accident it should be at least penalized, and if there's an injury then a suspension (in this specific case). I don't think this deserves a suspension though.

I don't know. Looked about as intentional as it gets to me. You need to have a few guys like that, IMO, but I'll admit it when it happens.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is probably a stupid question, but if anyone could explain to me why Giroux was given the assist on Gudas' empty net goal, I'd be grateful.
I mean, he was close to the Pens player (Schultz?) before the puck went to Gudas, but I don't think he got his stick on it. Or if he did, not in any controlled way. I thought it had to be a controlled play to count as an assist, or am I wrong there?

Yeah you are wrong on that last part.

A puck can bounce off of your head and count as an assist.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad