Post-Game Talk: #75| FLYERS 6 at Penguins 2| Sunday, March 26, 2017

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
I hate whining about ice time when it's undeserved for younger players, but Konecny was clearly one of the top couple forwards on the ice tonight. I get limiting ice time in important one goal games, but why the heck is he benched in a meaningless game with a 2+ goal lead? He's already 10x the player Bellemare is, yet Bellemare is getting double and triple shifted at the end.

Look at all the young contributors that the Penguins have. That would NEVER happen here in a million years. Matt Murray would still be in the AHL if he were Flyers' property. Guys like Conor Sheary and Jake Guentzel would get 6 minutes a game with Bellemare and VandeVelde. I just really hope they don't try to neuter Sanheim and Myers.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Weal and Konecny are getting about 14 minutes a game. Sheary is a better player than Weal so why would he get 6 minutes?

Hextall put two teenagers on the team this season so the idea that he wouldn't promote an execeptional talent like Murray is nonsense.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I hate whining about ice time when it's undeserved for younger players, but Konecny was clearly one of the top couple forwards on the ice tonight. I get limiting ice time in important one goal games, but why the heck is he benched in a meaningless game with a 2+ goal lead? He's already 10x the player Bellemare is, yet Bellemare is getting double and triple shifted at the end.

Look at all the young contributors that the Penguins have. That would NEVER happen here in a million years. Matt Murray would still be in the AHL if he were Flyers' property. Guys like Conor Sheary and Jake Guentzel would get 6 minutes a game with Bellemare and VandeVelde. I just really hope they don't try to neuter Sanheim and Myers.

Its a joke. Plain and simple. Hes a bad coach that makes bad decisions before, during, and after every game.

But alas, we stomped the Pens again..so I shall opt to enjoy that. Not many wins left until next October.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Weal and Konecny are getting about 14 minutes a game. Sheary is a better player than Weal so why would he get 6 minutes?

Hextall put two teenagers on the team this season so the idea that he wouldn't promote an execeptional talent like Murray is nonsense.

Konecny played 8:02 tonight.

1:45 less than the forward with the 2nd least amount of TOI, Chris VandeVelde.

It's inexcusable.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
When Hakstol was at ND, one of his hallmarks was the way that the defensemen carried the play into the offensive zone. Its happening more and more with Provorov pushing the play deep into the o-zone. It adds quite a bit to the offense. Obviously some guys don't have the skills to do that like Provy does but its something to look forward to next season. Probably Sanheim will be doing it as well when he gets acclimated to the league.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Just looked through the Pens GDT... it's like 99% crying about EVERYTHING.

Can't wait to see what that place is like when their team is terrible again. I'm predicting a ghost town.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia

I don't think Sheary would ever be given the opportunity here, similar to Weal. Weal is only getting a chance because Raffl is hurt, the season is over, and he's going to be a UFA soon, so they might want to see if there's something there.

Provorov is playing so much because the defense is barren and he's an elite talent.

Not saying that Stolarz is on Murray's level, but we had two goaltenders that had the worst stats in the league and Stolarz never saw another start after posting a shut out. I know Mason had a hot streak for some of that time period, but Neuvirth didn't play for 2 months and Stolarz got two starts.

What I'm really saying is I'd like to see young players rewarded for playing well, not benched because "safe veterans" that are terrible need to play the important minutes. Despite winning 6-2, I really don't think any of the forwards looked better than Konecny tonight. He made several nice plays in the defensive zone, was very physical, and was constantly dangerous. It's a bit annoying to see a player like that benched on a team that can't score.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
It helps that Sullivan coached most of their young guys in Wilkes-Barre Scranton.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Already a 3 page "Simmonds chicken wings blah blah blah..." thread on the main board. Typically, responses range from incidental contact to "typical Flyers thug, should be 10 games" garbage.

What is funny is that last year Subban chicken winged Giroux far more blatantly... and concussed him in doing so.

And all we got on the main boards was a thread calling Giroux a diver.

And of course Subban was not fined, never-mind suspended.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The problem right now is they finally have lines that make sense.

Weise - Couts - Schenn is easily their best line, the most physical and two way group that is also taking it to the other team, no room for Konency on that line. It's not whether he's more talented than Weise, Weise is big and fast and physical, it would be a totally different line with Konecny. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Weal - Flip - Simmons is looking good the last few games, Konency could replace Weal but it would be hard to claim right now that Konency is the better player.

Read - Giroux - Voracek, they tried Konecny on the LW with Giroux, but Read is a better fit only because he's more physical and a much better forechecker, much like Raffl, the guy Konecny would make sense replacing would be Voracek, because they have similar styles of play, both are skaters and playmakers, neither is a mucker or shooter.

Which is why a Voracek trade wouldn't surprise me, then you have Lindblom - Giroux - Konecny with Read going to the 4th line or in the ED draft.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Weise - Couts - Schenn is easily their best line, the most physical and two way group that is also taking it to the other team, no room for Konency on that line. It's not whether he's more talented than Weise, Weise is big and fast and physical, it would be a totally different line with Konecny. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Weal - Flip - Simmons is looking good the last few games, Konency could replace Weal but it would be hard to claim right now that Konency is the better player.

Read - Giroux - Voracek, they tried Konecny on the LW with Giroux, but Read is a better fit only because he's more physical and a much better forechecker, much like Raffl, the guy Konecny would make sense replacing would be Voracek, because they have similar styles of play, both are skaters and playmakers, neither is a mucker or shooter.

Which is why a Voracek trade wouldn't surprise me, then you have Lindblom - Giroux - Konecny with Read going to the 4th line or in the ED draft.

Konecny IS better than Weal.

Read is not more physical or a better forechecker than Konecny. Not even close really. His one and only advantage over TK is his defensive play.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Besides TK, I just want to know how MDZ goes from top minutes and good performances....to back-to-back scratches for Schultz.....to top minutes again with another good performance. Hardly a surprise Ghost had a good game too away from Schultz.

I already know Hakstol's logic to Konecny: it worked before when he came back, which means it will work again until the end of time. And he's a defensive liability who has to be surrounded by the best checking players on the team in soft minutes. Otherwise he might actually have an effect on the game. Oh, wait....it's a learning experience too.

But I can't reason out MDZ in Hak-logic.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Besides TK, I just want to know how MDZ goes from top minutes and good performances....to back-to-back scratches for Schultz.....to top minutes again with another good performance. Hardly a surprise Ghost had a good game too away from Schultz.

I already know Hakstol's logic to Konecny: it worked before when he came back, which means it will work again until the end of time. And he's a defensive liability who has to be surrounded by the best checking players on the team in soft minutes. Otherwise he might actually have an effect on the game. Oh, wait....it's a learning experience too.

But I can't reason out MDZ in Hak-logic.

Ive never seen anything like it..not from a Flyers coach. Not from any coach. Ive never seen a coach willingly yo-yo a guy in and out of the lineup as either a #1 or scratched.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

So trade Voracek, their top point getter.....so we can start a rookie on the top line and keep Weal on the 2nd line?

:shakehead

Oh...and what are we getting back for Jake in your trade idea? Not a forward because of how you think the lines should be. A D? Goalie? Picks?

Jake will not be traded.

Oh....and Weal is a UFA.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Its a joke. Plain and simple. Hes a bad coach that makes bad decisions before, during, and after every game.

But alas, we stomped the Pens again..so I shall opt to enjoy that. Not many wins left until next October.

I hate to leap to conclusions here, but over the last few months I've begun to suspect you aren't very fond of Hakstok's coaching.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
The first page of this thread might literally be the most depressing thing I've ever seen in my entire life.

Came here for celebration, and I get FACEOFF STATS. Holy ****. hahahah

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
C74_KjkXgAAcyXU

https://mobile.twitter.com/andrewlpeterson/status/846183435592978432

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad