Post-Game Talk: #74 | Rangers at FLYERS | Wednesday, Apr. 13, 2022 | 7:00 pm ET | TNT

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Yandle had more to do with Ghost and AV, once AV decided to get rid of Ghost, he needed a PP QB and knew Yandle from his NY days.

Doubt AV would have played two raw rookies in any case, and the Flyers are better off with both getting AHL seasoning to start the year. Arizona rushed Soderstrom and had to send him down to the AHL after 13 games, and it's not like he was blocked by D-men better than Yandle and Seeler.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Reality is they purposely blocked York and Zamula by signing Yandle and guaranteeing he would play. They also made the decision in the summer that Frost would not make the team when signing Brassard and Thompson. That was further proved true when Hayes was hurt to start the season and Willman started game 1 and 2.

Wonder what vet we are going to sign this summer that we don't need. We already have Brown....
ALL of them...

CSKA1974

Feb 10, 2010
Flyerville
I'd feel a lot better if Scott came out and said he re-evaluated, and realizes this team is not a move or two away from contending for a SC, and sneaking in the playoffs is not good enough for the Flyers. So he's instructing Fletcher to build up the talent base so the fans can cheer for a good team in a couple years, and asks for patience - the Flyers will no longer chase the will-o-wisp with a "bias for action". And the Flyers HC search will focus on a candidate who can grow with the team and has hands on experience coaching up young players.
I am usually very measured, but I would prefer him to instruct Fletcher to follow Russian Military ship after these years of complete mismanagement and misevaluation of the big picture and before he digs a deeper hole.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_warship,_go_f***_yourself

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yandle had more to do with Ghost and AV, once AV decided to get rid of Ghost, he needed a PP QB and knew Yandle from his NY days.

Doubt AV would have played two raw rookies in any case, and the Flyers are better off with both getting AHL seasoning to start the year. Arizona rushed Soderstrom and had to send him down to the AHL after 13 games, and it's not like he was blocked by D-men better than Yandle and Seeler.

If this were true Yandle would have stopped playing when AV was gone.

Fletcher doesn't want to play rookies. Once AV was gone, the only way rookies came up was generally when injuries forced it.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Be AFRAID... VERY AFRAID

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Be AFRAID... VERY AFRAID

Uh, JG's brother probably still lived in the area anyway. Not like he moved to Calgary because his little brother played there. Unless your concern is that the Flyers will hire him as coach.

• Wow

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
Do you think Yandle is better than York or Zamula?
No. But do you think rushing Zamula and York is good for development? York wasn’t ready earlier in the year. That was obvious. He looked better after going back for a bit. Zamula won’t hold up now. He is mentally ready on a small sample size plus he was hurt and sick earliet

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Uh, JG's brother probably still lived in the area anyway. Not like he moved to Calgary because his little brother played there. Unless your concern is that the Flyers will hire him as coach.
He was coaching youth hockey at Hollydell where JG comes every summer for a charity event. That is both of them's high school alma mater and also where their Dad coached.

I was joking about it being another reason for JG to come home.

Reactions: Rich Nixon

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Slafkovsky is a pretty easy pick for me. With Nemec a close second.
Slafkovsky certainly is intriguing, but I’m going with the Nemec who would solve their zone entry & breakout problems & whom I see as a can’t miss high-quality RHD.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Fletcher needs to get smart in a hurry. If he has another twelve months like the last year, he'll be out of a job. I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt with things, putting some of his missteps on the AV factor. However he has made some glaring errors that can not be forgiven.
-If TPTB wanted Ghost gone, it would have been better to have bought him out rather than to forfeit all of the assets that they did.
-The Ristolainen trade was acceptable only if he was moved out at the TDL if he didn't perform up to expectations. He should have been dealt. The extension is unforgivable.
-The Ellis trade showed another example of not doing homework on a player. One would think that after the Patrick debacle that the FO would have learned to do better. When the Flyers and Preds were talking trade before last year's deadline, the guy involved was thought to be Ekholm. Now it's obvious that Nashville was setting up Fletcher as a place instead to dump Ellis, his injuries and bad contract.
Based on the fact that Fletcher just doesn't do well at roster building and trading. My expectations for this offseason are more of the same as last. Bad moves are coming. A dino hired as the HC. Probably Provorov and Konecny moved out for a piddling return. JVR to bought out; not traded. There could be more goofiness but this is a start. If these things go down as I expect, the only positive result would be that in May of'23, Fletcher will be gone.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
He purposedly mentioned Dale Hunter knowing the history but self-absorbed because he didn't have his setup/wing man Ed Olczyk around tonight. He said "Teams didn't want to come into Philadelphia adding to a 3-0 lead..." How many times did teams have 3-0 leads in Philadelphia back in the day? How many?! Minimal! It was a useless segue into a vortex of garbage. a significant defect in one's ego to prop his own career as a player. The only thing absent was Giggles Olczyk adding to the moment.

Was that a shot at Washington? He was crying about them last night. The Rangers aren’t trying to run up the score one night after getting hammered by Washington.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Imagine anyone having faith in a GM that took a playoff team and turned it into a bottom 4 team in the leauge after 2 years of "improving the roster".

Imagine having that level of blind optimism.
They were a playoff team in 2018-19?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Fletcher needs to get smart in a hurry. If he has another twelve months like the last year, he'll be out of a job. I've tried to give him the benefit of the doubt with things, putting some of his missteps on the AV factor. However he has made some glaring errors that can not be forgiven.
-If TPTB wanted Ghost gone, it would have been better to have bought him out rather than to forfeit all of the assets that they did.
-The Ristolainen trade was acceptable only if he was moved out at the TDL if he didn't perform up to expectations. He should have been dealt. The extension is unforgivable.
-The Ellis trade showed another example of not doing homework on a player. One would think that after the Patrick debacle that the FO would have learned to do better. When the Flyers and Preds were talking trade before last year's deadline, the guy involved was thought to be Ekholm. Now it's obvious that Nashville was setting up Fletcher as a place instead to dump Ellis, his injuries and bad contract.
Based on the fact that Fletcher just doesn't do well at roster building and trading. My expectations for this offseason are more of the same as last. Bad moves are coming. A dino hired as the HC. Probably Provorov and Konecny moved out for a piddling return. JVR to bought out; not traded. There could be more goofiness but this is a start. If these things go down as I expect, the only positive result would be that in May of'23, Fletcher will be gone.
Ellis missed time due to a broke knuckle, obviously that's a predictor of groin issues. Sometimes crap happens.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
Ellis missed time due to a broke knuckle, obviously that's a predictor of groin issues. Sometimes crap happens.
Yes he had a broken knuckle but he has had other LBIs in his past. You can't just ignore them and believe that they might not flare up again. It sounds as if he has a hip or groin injury that has not responded to therapy and he doesn't want surgery at this point. Often times LBIs can lead to these types of issues. I seriously doubt that Nashville gave the Flyers his total health history ahead of the trade or allowed the Flyers staff to examine him prior to the trade. Fletcher just gave him the Nolan Patrick style look over and made the deal.
Seriously, when that deal was made, did you think that Nashville received fair value in return for a healthy Ellis? When its too good to be true, it is. The Preds got the revenge of the Weber offer sheet.

• Wow

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
No. But do you think rushing Zamula and York is good for development? York wasn’t ready earlier in the year. That was obvious. He looked better after going back for a bit. Zamula won’t hold up now. He is mentally ready on a small sample size plus he was hurt and sick earliet

They were both obviously ready. Any claim otherwise is just being made to defend bad management.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Every move Fletcher made last summer with one exception (that isn't even a clear win, but a wash), and several in-season moves, has failed.

Amazing anyone could defend him. He turned in the worst off-season performance in team history and people want him to have another go.

Reactions: Striiker

Flyerfan18

Dec 2, 2017
They were both obviously ready. Any claim otherwise is just being made to defend bad management.
Nope it’s reality. York had to go back down after his play dropped off. I don’t think many understand how hard it is for a young defensemen to establish themselves and this isn’t a Flyer development issue either.

Being in Winnipeg ask Jets fans about Heinolla and Samberg. The average fan thinks they both should have been in the league long ago but the reality is different.

Small sample but Zamula looks mentally ready. Physical is a whole different issue

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

he was ready in February and March and still got sent down

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yes he had a broken knuckle but he has had other LBIs in his past. You can't just ignore them and believe that they might not flare up again. It sounds as if he has a hip or groin injury that has not responded to therapy and he doesn't want surgery at this point. Often times LBIs can lead to these types of issues. I seriously doubt that Nashville gave the Flyers his total health history ahead of the trade or allowed the Flyers staff to examine him prior to the trade. Fletcher just gave him the Nolan Patrick style look over and made the deal.
Seriously, when that deal was made, did you think that Nashville received fair value in return for a healthy Ellis? When its too good to be true, it is. The Preds got the revenge of the Weber offer sheet.

He had a knee injury in 2016. A hip injury five years later is not a flare up. Every NHL team is allowed acces to medical records and to examine players before a trade is made official.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad