Prospect Info: #73 OA - Defenseman Vili Saarijarvi, USHL (Signed to ELC, Post 136)

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
I was thinking the same thing. Malik has had more than his share of strange crushes that end up doing nothing, but it's all we have to work with at this point and it's encouraging in context.

Haha, so true. Just look at anything he's ever written about McCollum.

Regardless, Saarijarvi has the potential to turn some heads

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Haha, so true. Just look at anything he's ever written about McCollum.

Regardless, Saarijarvi has the potential to turn some heads

McCollum and Lashoff are all world people according to most that come across them. He easily buys in on those guys. I would say Willie Coetzee was his strangest fascination through the years. I am guessing it was along the same lines, a guy that seemed genuinely interested in Malik and was a super character guy. But he would go on and on about Coetzee's hands and how elite they were, something I never really saw at all.

RayMoonDoh

Outta Waiver Stuff
Nov 12, 2011
Shore Shack
McCollum and Lashoff are all world people according to most that come across them. He easily buys in on those guys. I would say Willie Coetzee was his strangest fascination through the years. I am guessing it was along the same lines, a guy that seemed genuinely interested in Malik and was a super character guy. But he would go on and on about Coetzee's hands and how elite they were, something I never really saw at all.

You hit the nail on the head. He has his biases.

All in all, mans gotta make a living. I guess don't hate the player, hate the game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Haha, I appreciate his work even if I understand he gets overzealous sometimes (don't we all?)

But yeah he made Brian Lashoff sound like Bobby Orr. And Coetzee sound like Kovalev.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
CL_3YKzUcAAWlwq.jpg

Don't know the height of these other guys, but good to see he is not the shortest one haha. (From the Flint Firebirds twitter) (He is 2nd in from the left)

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
What I have always been appreciative about Detroit's drafting philosophy is that the value the intangibles. Now in know that has been more of a necessity where they are picking since most top flight prospects with prized physical attributes are normally selected by the time that the Wings pick. But the fact that they select often overlooked, undersized players with excellent work ethic and an natural level of awareness and intelligence, has been a excellent strategy for them.

The kid can always work on proper skating mechanics, or catch a late growth spurt, or properly train their body to add muscle mass. You can't teach stupid. I look at Vili, and see an offensively aware and intelligent player with a good characater and commitment to improving. I am more than pleased with the selection and him choosing exposure to the NA game over the comfort of playing in his home country marks a lot of positive traits. I have high hopes for him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The kid can always work on proper skating mechanics, or catch a late growth spurt, or properly train their body to add muscle mass.

They really can't though. Certainly not always. It's the reason a lot of prospects don't pan out, and the reason a lot of ours don't pan out too.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
They really can't though. Certainly not always. It's the reason a lot of prospects don't pan out, and the reason a lot of ours don't pan out too.

That's true, it's very easy for everyone of us in the hockey crowd to get into the mindset that these kids have the opportunity of a lifetime and that of course they have to do everything in their power to succeed in making an NHL career. They're kids, and if you think back how you were yourself at that age... It really wasn't a chain of intelligent choices. Even with all the coaches, parents, psychologists, etc. being there to support these young players and their unyielding motivation towards playing hockey that got them this far, they've still just arrived at the base of the mountain. Tiny injuries have started to accumulate and turn into bigger injuries over the years even as the pace keeps constantly picking up. I don't hold it against anyone who doesn't "make it" in pushing the physical body to the limits, keeping it there, and finally pushing the boundaries further than they could have ever imagined.

But then I'm happy for anyone who does go the distance. It's a monumental effort.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

The only thing thats almost impossible to do is the Growth Spurt, Thats all luck.

You can easily add muscle and work on your skating.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
If your skating is weak, you can't always fix it.

Also, is he confirmed playing in Flint this year? May go to a game if so.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The only thing thats almost impossible to do is the Growth Spurt, Thats all luck.

You can easily add muscle and work on your skating.

Some guys have not been able to add a step. Some guys have not been able to put on the weight. It has cost them their careers. Not everyone is able to make the needed improvement(s).

I mean Almqvist was a pretty good example.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
woah, you can teach skating technique(ask john tavares) so long as you have a willing and invested player

what you can never teach, never ever teach, is hockey sense/awarness

you either have it or you dont

the players who dont make it dont make it because they didnt want it bad enough and that goes for the highest to the lowest drafted players

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
woah, you can teach skating technique(ask john tavares) so long as you have a willing and invested player

the players who dont make it dont make it because they didnt want it bad enough and that goes for the highest to the lowest drafted players

So because Tavares did it, everyone can?

Rob Schremp was never able to add a step. Adam Almqvist was never able to improve his skating enough at his size to make it. That's just off the top of my head, and I am sure there are others who have not been able to make the improvement.

Did they not try hard enough? Or did their genetics not allow it? I mean, how do we really know the answer to that? I have to believe some people are just slow, and can't get much faster. And some people are weak, and can't get much stronger.

Edit: In doing some googling, I found a book on the subject and ordered it. If anyone is interested may want to scope it out: http://thesportsgene.com (it's also on Amazon)

Here is an excerpt:
Trainability is the ability to respond well to certain training. The best examples involve endurance training. Some people start with a high aerobic capacity, and the amount O2 [the body] uses is a powerful predictor of endurance. Some people start at a high baseline and don’t improve [their endurance] even after the same training as someone next to them. They might have to put in many, many more hours than the next man or woman [to reach the same endurance]. Or they might never get there.

That excerpt is about endurance, but I believe the same principles would also apply towards speed and strength.

Last edited:

Fear

Nov 17, 2014

Gretzky claims his hockey sense is the result of training and studying.

And the junior leagues are full of players who work just as hard as the stars and simply can't skate at a pro level. There's a difference between a raw skater (who can be taught) and simply a mediocre skater. Some players just don't have what it takes to be a pro-level skater no matter how well you teach them and how hard they work.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
So because Tavares did it, everyone can?

Rob Schremp was never able to add a step. Adam Almqvist was never able to improve his skating enough at his size to make it. That's just off the top of my head, and I am sure there are others who have not been able to make the improvement.

Did they not try hard enough? Or did their genetics not allow it? I mean, how do we really know the answer to that? I have to believe some people are just slow, and can't get much faster. And some people are weak, and can't get much stronger.

Edit: In doing some googling, I found a book on the subject and ordered it. If anyone is interested may want to scope it out: http://thesportsgene.com (it's also on Amazon)

Here is an excerpt:

That excerpt is about endurance, but I believe the same principles would also apply towards speed and strength.

that book is very good.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Some guys have not been able to add a step. Some guys have not been able to put on the weight. It has cost them their careers. Not everyone is able to make the needed improvement(s).

I mean Almqvist was a pretty good example.

Ive never heard of a Human that couldnt gain muscle. The only thing I kno is that some people its harder to gain muscle, But its still possible. So really its all on you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad