Prospect Info: #73 OA - Defenseman Vili Saarijarvi, USHL (Signed to ELC, Post 136)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ive never heard of a Human that couldnt gain muscle. The only thing I kno is that some people its harder to gain muscle, But its still possible. So really its all on you.

I remember our 2008 draft pick Jesper Samuelsson had some kind of carb ilfiltration problem which was connected to muscle gain. And it was kind of a career killer for any NHL hopes.

He still plays at swedish 2nd level.

Last edited:

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
I think it depends on why you are a bad skater. If it is a technique issue then yes you should be able to improve, if you are willing to put in the time. If it's a physical ability issue you can only do so much.

Muscle us even more complicated, as one can put it on and then lose a ton of it Ala Z and not be able to stand up to a potential 100+ game season. Or you could have health issues that cause you not to be able to put it on at all. Or you could put it only but have it negatively affect skating/quickness.

Anchor Town*

I think it depends on why you are a bad skater. If it is a technique issue then yes you should be able to improve, if you are willing to put in the time. If it's a physical ability issue you can only do so much.

Muscle us even more complicated, as one can put it on and then lose a ton of it Ala Z and not be able to stand up to a potential 100+ game season. Or you could have health issues that cause you not to be able to put it on at all. Or you could put it only but have it negatively affect skating/quickness.

At this point in their careers it's almost always physical, not technique (or inability to master technique). These aren't 12 year olds in their first bout of comp hockey.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Season ticket holder...he's been making the rounds to several Flint area events. According to Kantner himself, our 2nd round import has signed his contract and will be playing in Flint too

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I remember our 2008 draft pick Jesper Samuelsson had some kind of carb ilfiltration problem which was connected to muscle gain. And it was kind of a career killer for any NHL hopes.

He still plays at swedish 2nd level.

Good for him, Id probably give up if i couldn't do it, I always had something to fall back on.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
Hopefully he'll spend another year in Flint and probably a couple years in Grand Rapids. I like that he has speed and can really handle the puck since he was a former forward. He relies on his stick to take the puck away but isn't afraid to use his body. I'm hoping at worst we have a Krug on our hands. The fact that he wanted to come play here in Flint made me happy also. He's a few yards way but I can see why the Wings took an early chance on him.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
Hopefully he'll spend another year in Flint and probably a couple years in Grand Rapids. I like that he has speed and can really handle the puck since he was a former forward. He relies on his stick to take the puck away but isn't afraid to use his body. I'm hoping at worst we have a Krug on our hands. The fact that he wanted to come play here in Flint made me happy also. He's a few yards way but I can see why the Wings took an early chance on him.

Cool, thanks for your assessment! I watched him play in TC a couple times in the summer/fall and came away impressed, so not at all surprised with his success. Krug+ would certainly do :)

Artorius Horus T

sincerety
Nov 12, 2014
Suomi/Finland
Does anyone think Vili Saarijärvi is ready to jump to the
NHL/AHL Red Wings/Griffins for next season?.

Can he jump directly to the NHL,or does he need
time in the AHL?

Any thoughts about Vili's future in Detroit?.
Is there room in Red Wings D for Saarijärvi?

Stats:

1st season (Flint,OHL) 59ga-12g+31a=43pts | -15
2nd season (Missisauga,OHL) 34ga-11g+20a=31pts | +20

16-17 play-offs (so far) 9ga-4g+6a=10pts | +6

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
Does anyone think Vili Saarijärvi is ready to jump to the
NHL/AHL Red Wings/Griffins for next season?.

Can he jump directly to the NHL,or does he need
time in the AHL?

Any thoughts about Vili's future in Detroit?.
Is there room in Red Wings D for Saarijärvi?

Stats:

1st season (Flint,OHL) 59ga-12g+31a=43pts | -15
2nd season (Missisauga,OHL) 34ga-11g+20a=31pts | +20

16-17 play-offs (so far) 9ga-4g+6a=10pts | +6

We usually don't rush our defensive prospects. Griffins for sure

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
Eh if it was me running into 2017-2018 season, I'd be telling all defenceman that you have a job to earn. No more free passes and if you prove your worth by these exact specific criteria better than your cohort you will be in.

Its not like our defence line is killing it in any sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad