GDT: #73 - Leafs vs. Sabres at 7 PM ET on MSG-B and WGR

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
You're right about that. Just very little faith in this org.

Me neither. But the higher the pick the less they have a chance of messing up the pick which is why I'm hoping for losses right now. If we had reliable drafting I wouldn't care where we picked.

Reactions: Tatre

Mr Orangeshirt

Dec 12, 2008
Xville,TN
Skinner is a shadow of what he was earlier in the year. I am not sure if he is hurt or what? But I saw him bail on a play. This is not the fearless Skinner I know. Looks like he may be affordable as a UFA after all. But do the Sabres want him back?
I'm wondering if his slumpyness it isn't from a few weeks back when he Gumby'd his ankle and came back out in the 3rd period after it looked like he would be gone for the season.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I know. I am convinced that the ten game streak saved his job and guaranteed that he’ll be behind the bench on opening night in 2019

I don’t think Phil’s job was saved at the streak. Based on Botts’ past interviews, I don’t think he put much weight and satisfaction into that time if the season. I think Phil was assumed to be here 3+ years as the timeline of the team, and apparent competitiveness was a longer term. I’d be shocked if Phil was fired.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I am sorry to say this. But to be crude. The Sabres do not play smart hockey. I don't know if it's the players or the coaching. But Barry Trotz always stresses playing smart hockey. The Bruins play smart hockey. The Leafs or as I call them the Laffs, are not the toughest team in the NHL, hit them and they will slow down, or even before this disappear like Kasper the ghost. Also the Sabres did not do a good job of clogging the neutral zone. Maybe it's the players and the coaching. But The Sabres need to be a team that learns to play smarter. Montour, Risto, Okoposo, even a smart player like Reinhart didn't play smart hockey. This team needs a teacher and coach they can respect to scare them into playing smart hockey. This will be Botterill's most important hire move this summer.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I am sorry to say this. But to be crude. The Sabres do not play smart hockey. I don't know if it's the players or the coaching. But Barry Trotz always stresses playing smart hockey. The Bruins play smart hockey. The Leafs or as I call them the Laffs, are not the toughest team in the NHL, hit them and they will slow down, or even before this disappear like Kasper the ghost. Also the Sabres did not do a good job of clogging the neutral zone. Maybe it's the players and the coaching. But The Sabres need to a team that learns to play smarter. Montour, Risto, Okoposo, even a smart player like Reinhart didn't play smart hockey. This team needs a teacher and coach they can respect to scare them into playing smart hockey. This will be Botterill's most important hire move this summer.

You’re preaching to the choir man. The majority of people here know that and have known that for 6 years now.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I am sorry to say this. But to be crude. The Sabres do not play smart hockey. I don't know if it's the players or the coaching. But Barry Trotz always stresses playing smart hockey. The Bruins play smart hockey. The Leafs or as I call them the Laffs, are not the toughest team in the NHL, hit them and they will slow down, or even before this disappear like Kasper the ghost. Also the Sabres did not do a good job of clogging the neutral zone. Maybe it's the players and the coaching. But The Sabres need to be a team that learns to play smarter. Montour, Risto, Okoposo, even a smart player like Reinhart didn't play smart hockey. This team needs a teacher and coach they can respect to scare them into playing smart hockey. This will be Botterill's most important hire move this summer.
The coach is clearly an issue. There are also several dumb players on the team. Every team has some low IQ players, though. First step is getting a real coach, then they can see about who needs to be replaced or added.

MrMaster

Apr 20, 2016
The coach is clearly an issue. There are also several dumb players on the team. Every team has some low IQ players, though. First step is getting a real coach, then they can see about who needs to be replaced or added.
I also believe that either Reinhart or Risto will be traded. You can't have both the slow and the dumb.

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I also believe that either Reinhart or Risto will be traded. You can't have both the slow and the dumb.
Reinhart is not even close to an issue on this team. Ristolainen on the other hand has a head full of rocks. If he were surrounded by a better, smarter team it wouldn't be an issue, but as it stands, it hurts.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

I think a good coach is the must. Play a system. Risto is not playing smart. But Babcock made Gardiner a smarter player and the Laffs are finding out life without him has been harder than their criticisms for him. Even Muzzin who makes mistakes as in his giveaways in Nashville can be taught to play more efficient hockey. I'd like to see Risto play for a coach that can teach him to make the right decisions before trading him. To anyone that agrees in getting a grade A coach. I agree 100%.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Coming into Buffalo and playing in the old Aud or in the Key Bank Center used to be an intimidating rink. The Sabres allowed the Laffs to dance tonight. A team that is feather soft. The Sabres need to get back that edge where teams feared coming into their rink. The Rob Ray, Peca, Barnaby days. Even before that the old Danny Gare, Playfair days. Just used to be a rink and team that you had to earn 2 pts going into their barn. It's just too easy to play against them right now.

Reactions: al secord

Paxon

Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I think a good coach is the must. Play a system. Risto is not playing smart. But Babcock made Gardiner a smarter player and the Laffs are finding out life without him has been harder than their criticisms for him. Even Muzzin who makes mistakes as in his giveaways in Nashville can be taught to play more efficient hockey. I'd like to see Risto play for a coach that can teach him to make the right decisions before trading him. To anyone that agrees in getting a grade A coach. I agree 100%.
We are in agreement. I want to see how Risto plays with a real coach, not to mention a better group overall. Like even having Pilut rather than this year's Scandella for a whole season makes a big difference in the back six. That said, his hockey IQ does currently hurt the team whereas Reinhart's skating doesn't, so I don't think the poster should have lumped them together.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We are in agreement. I want to see how Risto plays with a real coach, not to mention a better group overall. Like even having Pilut rather than this year's Scandella for a whole season makes a big difference in the back six. That said, his hockey IQ does currently hurt the team whereas Reinhart's skating doesn't, so I don't think the poster should have lumped them together.

Risto is one guy that can be difficult to play against. And to me, he has some pride in the logo. I don't know what happened to the Sabres. But the lunch bucket mentality is not there. It is a blue collar city. Rob Ray must be wincing seeing a team as soft as Toronto waltz in there and dance around the ice. I don't know how to explain it other than the Sabres are too easy to play against. This has got to change.

Reactions: al secord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad