Post-Game Talk: #73 | FLYERS at Capitals | Tuesday, Apr. 12, 2022 | 7:00 pm ET | ESPN | Hart + Atkinson injured

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
At the TDL I was hoping that Laczynski and Allison would be called up but other things got in the way with that. Now, I could care less. Whatever helps them lose more games is what I want to see happen. Play the turds-MacEwan, Brown, Thompson, Yandle, Connaughton and Seeler as often as possible. Just keep stacking up those Ls. Need a better draft position and help to get Yeo out of town.
Last night was an embarrassment and a stain upon the franchise. Fletcher & Co. should be ashamed of themselves for allowing the club to be in a position where it could happen. At least Alec Bohm apologized to the fans for messing up the other night. These clowns just carry on like there was nothing to see here.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The only way Atkinson gets traded is if Chuckles is shit canned. There is no way in hell he trades the big acquisition from last offseason in the next offseason. That's a clear signal to his boss that he screwed up.
It wasn't a "big acquisition," it was the trade of one bad contract for another, both players needed a change of scenery.
And Atkinson will be easier to move this offseason than Voracek.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Then Fletcher made no big acquisitions that worked in the last off season with a Bias for Action. He should be fired.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The Flyers are going to be better next season than all the Chicken Littles around here are asserting.

Healthy Couturier and healthy Hayes will make a significant difference.

Possibility of Ellis in the lineup.

Lazy soft one-way players like JVR gone.

Cam York with a pro season under his belt and in the top-6.

Some actual decent young depth either in the lineup or turning pro and not far away (Cates, Laczynski, and Allison NHL ready; Brink, Desnoyers, Zamula, in NHL striking distance).

Probably a big UFA addition, and perhaps a hockey trade or two for better balance/mix.

And maybe even a top 5 pick who will compete for a roster spot.

New head coach.

I'm not all doom and gloom heading into the offseason.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The Flyers are going to be better next season than all the Chicken Littles around here are asserting.

Healthy Couturier and healthy Hayes will make a significant difference.

Possibility of Ellis in the lineup.

Lazy soft one-way players like JVR gone.

Cam York with a pro season under his belt and in the top-6.

Some actual decent young depth either in the lineup or turning pro and not far away (Cates, Laczynski, and Allison NHL ready; Brink, Desnoyers, Zamula, in NHL striking distance).

Probably a big UFA addition, and perhaps a hockey trade or two for better balance/mix.

And maybe even a top 5 pick who will compete for a roster spot.

New head coach.

I'm not all doom and gloom heading into the offseason.

"The Flyers will be better than you think" hasn't been true in a really long time. Certainly at no point during the Fletcher tenure.

My favorite part is where big chunks of this plan require that Fletcher suddenly become fond of playing a ton of youth, suddenly stops losing trades badly, and suddenly stops making bad FA signings.

So if Fletcher stops being who he has always been, they've got a chance.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Why do people want to trade Atkinson? Hayes yes I can see but Cam has been one of the rare bright spots on this shit stain of a season.
Because he'll be 33 with 3 years left on his deal at $5.25M.
He has more value to a playoff team that needs scoring than to the Flyers.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
By the time this team is good again, he'll have nothing left.

I'm not against keeping him but see the logic in trading him.
By trading him you have a tough sell that you did anything good in the last 365 days. That is very easily grounds for firing. Fletch really needs to keep him to save face. Next offseason it could be easier to deflect the criticism if he needs to trade Atkinson.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
By trading him you have a tough sell that you did anything good in the last 365 days. That is very easily grounds for firing. Fletch really needs to keep him to save face. Next offseason it could be easier to deflect the criticism if he needs to trade Atkinson.

I understand that

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I don't see Atkinson getting traded this summer.

It would make sense if they were going full rebuild, but they are attempting to improve.

They don't have the organizational scoring depth to trade him for futures right now if the goal is to compete next season.

zizbuka

Apr 4, 2017
If I were Zamula I would be pretty frustrated at all of this...

Better than York in AHL, nah, no call-up.
Yandle, Seeler and Connauton playing all year.
Now Attard playing over him when he really does not look NHL ready and needs some AHL time.

If I were a young player with the talent to be in the NHL, I'd try my best to get away from the Flyers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I still think it comes down to Scott, Fletcher has said he wants to add more under 25 players to the core, but that is not something you do by paying JG $10+M a year, or trading for a veteran.

I think the collapse of the team may have sobered up Scott/Holmgren - there is no bias for action that's going to turn this team around quickly. They do have a lot of young talent between 20-24 years old (from Brink and Andrae to Allison and Laczynski), but it takes a couple years for inexperienced players to hit their stride.

A realistic appraisal would see the need to step back for a couple seasons, get a couple top ten draft picks, use cap room like Arizona to pick up assets, and trade draft picks only for RFA types that their teams can't afford to keep (Toews). Add 2-3 quality players to this depth of young talent, and you could turn it around in 3 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad