Post-Game Talk: #73 | FLYERS at Capitals | Tuesday, Apr. 12, 2022 | 7:00 pm ET | ESPN | Hart + Atkinson injured

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I thought they buried players in the AHL? Now you're complaining they're rushing them to the NHL?

That's what the stretch run is for this season, throw kids out there and see how ready they are.
Sometimes it's encouraging (Cates, Brink), sometimes it's ugly (Attard).

They have buried players in the AHL, yes. It's obvious to anyone being honest about the job management is doing instead of bending over backwards to justify all their failures.
I've never seen a GM so blatantly favor "his" guys before. Do we think it's a coincidence that the first three picks of his Flyers tenure are in the NHL right now and playing big roles?

You cannot tell me the difference between Cam York and Zamula is one is playing on the top pair and top PP in the NHL, and the other is in the AHL. Zamula even has plenty of experience on his off side. Not to mention, he was a lot more productive in the AHL despite York's reputation.

You cannot tell me the difference between Attard and St. Ivany is that one is good enough to jump straight from college to the NHL, with PP time, and the other is not even worth a ELC starting next year.

CAN NOT.

It's so blatant. It's little petty stuff like this that gives myno reason to be optimistic about the future.

Yep. Sinking development to engage in spite. For the spiritual chief Clarke, this is amazing. He always put the good of the team behind this kind of thing. This kind of shit is what they wanted.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They could ask him, but Yeo isn't in charge of recalls or roster spots.

Yeo is all they have access to until Chuck slithers out of his hiding again, and i'm sure he would be able to provide some insight into why a few trash vets are still playing over kids.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I didn't watch the game because I was scorekeeping a couple beer league games at the rink I work at. Easiest $50 in the world. But I saw this highlight on Twitter, and it was like something out of...a beer league. Just the screenshot alone is perfect. NHL hockey baby!

Screen Shot 2022-04-13 at 10.14.01 AM.png

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I didn't watch the game because I was scorekeeping a couple beer league games at the rink I work at. Easiest $50 in the world. But I saw this highlight on Twitter, and it was like something out of...a beer league. Just the screenshot alone is perfect. NHL hockey baby!View attachment 530343

My beer league team hasn't had a breakdown that bad all season.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I didn't watch the game because I was scorekeeping a couple beer league games at the rink I work at. Easiest $50 in the world. But I saw this highlight on Twitter, and it was like something out of...a beer league. Just the screenshot alone is perfect. NHL hockey baby!View attachment 530343
Look at all that space that Tough Guy made for himself.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Right now I'd keep the AHL players in the AHL, it's a better environment since they're still in the PO race.

The college players are a different matter, going into training camp, it gives you a chance to evaluate them against NHL players, they've already done that with Laczynski and Allison and know they're NHL ready.

Zamula may just be caution after his mid-season weight loss, and with York up, perferring he play 1st pair minutes in LHV over 3rd pair in the NHL (with Attard as his partner).

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
If I were Zamula I would be pretty frustrated at all of this...

Better than York in AHL, nah, no call-up.
Yandle, Seeler and Connauton playing all year.
Now Attard playing over him when he really does not look NHL ready and needs some AHL time.
Someone said on a podcast that the org didn't like his last offseason. I think they are sending a message so he hits the gym harder this summer.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The college players are a different matter, going into training camp, it gives you a chance to evaluate them against NHL players, they've already done that with Laczynski and Allison and know they're NHL ready.

Am I misunderstanding here? They know Laczynski is NHL ready because of training camp and 5 NHL games a calendar year ago? And they sent him to the AHL anyway and this makes sense?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Am I misunderstanding here? They know Laczynski is NHL ready because of training camp and 5 NHL games a calendar year ago? And they sent him to the AHL anyway and this makes sense?
They sent him and Allison down b/c they were injured all year and needed to play their way into shape.
When they were ready to come up, what was the point - after the TDL, they wanted to look at Frost, Tippett, Cates, Brink.
Had they been healthy earlier in the season, they'd have come up before Mayhew and Willman. Even Ratcliffe got 10 games.

Last year, Allison played 14 games, Laczynski 5 (then was injured), J Cates 4, York 3. Morin 20, Bunnaman 18.

Now you could argue they could sit JVR and Atkinson and put these two in the top 9, but JVR just got to 20 goals (hopefully, making it easier to move him this summer with a late goal spurt). With Atkinson out, top 9 is still crowded:

Farabee - Laughton - TK
Lindblom - Hayes - Brink
Cates - Frost - Tippett
JVR

They'd be upgrades over Brown and Thompson, but at this point, they're probably better off playing big minutes in the AHL.
They've both missed a lot of PT the last two years - games played:
Allison, 29 AHL games, 15 NHL games
Laczynski, 36 AHL games, 5 NHL games

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
My Rolling Stones tickets for decent seats in 1969: $7.50 each with the opening act: BB KIng.....bargain these days ain't it??????????????

How much would you Gertbfrobe16 pay this moment to see the Flyers.....is it worth $5 to watch? Yeah the parking is how much this year, still 10 dollars? and the food bill...you would to rob a bank to pay for it.......

Didn't Gert Frobe play Goldfinger???? I always wanted to ask you that......;-))
I don't even watch on tv anymore, let alone pay to see bad hockey live lol. The line is from the movie Trading Places. If you watch the scene at the pawn shop, you'll get the reference. And yes Gert Frobe was the actor that played Goldfinger, the Gert B. Frobe comes from Joe Dirt and Christopher Walken, uses it as his witness protection name. In 1969 I was only 14 and not allowed to go to the Stones concert, but wanted to lol.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
They sent him and Allison down b/c they were injured all year and needed to play their way into shape.
When they were ready to come up, what was the point - after the TDL, they wanted to look at Frost, Tippett, Cates, Brink.
Had they been healthy earlier in the season, they'd have come up before Mayhew and Willman. Even Ratcliffe got 10 games.

Last year, Allison played 14 games, Laczynski 5 (then was injured), J Cates 4, York 3. Morin 20, Bunnaman 18.

Now you could argue they could sit JVR and Atkinson and put these two in the top 9, but JVR just got to 20 goals (hopefully, making it easier to move him this summer with a late goal spurt). With Atkinson out, top 9 is still crowded:

Farabee - Laughton - TK
Lindblom - Hayes - Brink
Cates - Frost - Tippett
JVR

They'd be upgrades over Brown and Thompson, but at this point, they're probably better off playing big minutes in the AHL.
They've both missed a lot of PT the last two years - games played:
Allison, 29 AHL games, 15 NHL games
Laczynski, 36 AHL games, 5 NHL games

Play your top 9 less and roll 4 lines if that's your problem with it then. The answer to every question cannot be ROLES shouted into a megaphone. Make it work. There's no excuse for Laczynski being back from injury for 2 months and still playing slugs over him.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Play your top 9 less and roll 4 lines if that's your problem with it then. The answer to every question cannot be ROLES shouted into a megaphone. Make it work. There's no excuse for Laczynski being back from injury for 2 months and still playing slugs over him.

Well, do we really care if they win one more game the rest of the way?

If LHV is still in the PO run, it's probably a better spot for these two, b/c they get a lot more meaningful PT.
However, if they're going to stick Cates on the 4th line, it would be better for him if Laczynski were up.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Well, do we really care if they win one more game the rest of the way?

If LHV is still in the PO run, it's probably a better spot for these two, b/c they get a lot more meaningful PT.
However, if they're going to stick Cates on the 4th line, it would be better for him if Laczynski were up.

No, certainly not. But I would hope getting someone who could be a positive asset on an NHL roster some time would be something they care about. Especially in the hypothetical here that they believed he was clearly ready last year. That's where this conversation started.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, certainly not. But I would hope getting someone who could be a positive asset on an NHL roster some time would be something they care about. Especially in the hypothetical here that they believed he was clearly ready last year. That's where this conversation started.

I think what they're doing makes sense in the current situation. They want to look at the kids, but they were also trying to showcase JVR and Atkinson (fluff their stats) if they're going to move them this summer (i.e. if Scott realizes they ain't competing for the Cup next year).

They're already playing 4 young forwards, plus Farabee, TK, Lindblom still need to work on their games. And Hayes is getting back to 100% in preparation for next season.
So really it comes down to Thompson and Brown.
And you could roll four lines, but only so many PP spots, and you'd be taking minutes from other players.

Given how little both Laczynski and Allison have played the last two years, bigger minutes at LHV might be better in terms of preparation for next season. They can be in the top six, PP1, PK, and play 5 more minutes a night (too bad there are no minutes for the AHL so we could check this).

At this point they're just putting tape together for the next HC going into September.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Someone said on a podcast that the org didn't like his last offseason. I think they are sending a message so he hits the gym harder this summer.
Yeo said recently that Zamula had been sick and lost 5 lbs, and 'he isn't a guy who can afford to lose 5 lbs.'

It's all about him being skinny and not having filled out yet. Skating, skill and talent mean nothing if you aren't heavy.

His other option is to hang around with Hayes all summer. That will get him in the lineup.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
My Rolling Stones tickets for decent seats in 1969: $7.50 each with the opening act: BB KIng.....bargain these days ain't it??????????????

How much would you Gertbfrobe16 pay this moment to see the Flyers.....is it worth $5 to watch? Yeah the parking is how much this year, still 10 dollars? and the food bill...you would to rob a bank to pay for it.......

Didn't Gert Frobe play Goldfinger???? I always wanted to ask you that......;-))
For even more Bo check out George Thorogoods bad to the bone music video.

Reactions: macleish1974

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
I think what they're doing makes sense in the current situation. They want to look at the kids, but they were also trying to showcase JVR and Atkinson (fluff their stats) if they're going to move them this summer (i.e. if Scott realizes they ain't competing for the Cup next year).

They're already playing 4 young forwards, plus Farabee, TK, Lindblom still need to work on their games. And Hayes is getting back to 100% in preparation for next season.
So really it comes down to Thompson and Brown.
And you could roll four lines, but only so many PP spots, and you'd be taking minutes from other players.

Given how little both Laczynski and Allison have played the last two years, bigger minutes at LHV might be better in terms of preparation for next season. They can be in the top six, PP1, PK, and play 5 more minutes a night (too bad there are no minutes for the AHL so we could check this).

At this point they're just putting tape together for the next HC going into September.
The only way Atkinson gets traded is if Chuckles is shit canned. There is no way in hell he trades the big acquisition from last offseason in the next offseason. That's a clear signal to his boss that he screwed up.

gertbfrobe16

Feb 3, 2018
Yeo said recently that Zamula had been sick and lost 5 lbs, and 'he isn't a guy who can afford to lose 5 lbs.'

It's all about him being skinny and not having filled out yet. Skating, skill and talent mean nothing if you aren't heavy.

His other option is to hang around with Hayes all summer. That will get him in the lineup.
We need Phil Kessel, for his veteran leadership, in how to gain weight like a pro, eating hot dogs.

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Thompson, Brown, Connauton, etc are only playing so Chuck can trade them at the deadline.

After that, Laczynski and Zamula will be in the NHL.
Epic. Unfortunately I do not have a flux capacitor nor a DeLorean......You can pick up a DeLorean pretty cheap.....I have yet to see a flux capacitor on Ebay or Amazon.........

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad