Post-Game Talk: #73| FLYERS 3 at Wild 1| Thurs., March 23, 2017

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Read this too quickly on my phone and thought that first bullet was "pulled a striiker in Winnipeg against and undermanned defensive unit".... I was gonna say "what the hell did I do to you MSE"? :laugh:

All things refer to the movie Airplane! including this comment.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost had a bad turnover in the D-zone, and one last game, which is why Hakstol doesn't trust him with a lead, Ghost like a lot of young, talented players tries to do too much. When you're ahead in a close game, sometimes you have to be a bit more conservative.

I heard the announcers claim that Konecny was on the 4th line because Hakstol wanted him to play more north and south.

Why doesn't Hakstol bench/limit Provorov? Because you don't have to teach him anything. When he makes a mistake, you can see him immediately shaking his head and talking to himself, "ivan, that was really stupid, don't do that again."

Nice to see Voracek show up with a minute left in the game.
Read played very well, but that seems to be his season, a week on, a month off . . .
Couts and Schenn belong together, Schenn looks like a totally different player on Couts' right than he did playing center.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Instead of saying "for some reason," I wonder if Tim P. has asked the question to Hakstol even if the obvious dismissive response will be stated.

7. While the shake-up of*the lines obviously benefited Read, it did little for Konecny and actually set him back. He was invisible. No shots. No hits. Invisible with little ice time. Really can't figure this move out but obviously Hakstol is upset with him for some reason.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelph...-couturier-shows-flash-matt-read-answers-call

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ghost had a bad turnover in the D-zone, and one last game, which is why Hakstol doesn't trust him with a lead, Ghost like a lot of young, talented players tries to do too much. When you're ahead in a close game, sometimes you have to be a bit more conservative.

I heard the announcers claim that Konecny was on the 4th line because Hakstol wanted him to play more north and south.

Why doesn't Hakstol bench/limit Provorov? Because you don't have to teach him anything. When he makes a mistake, you can see him immediately shaking his head and talking to himself, "ivan, that was really stupid, don't do that again."

Read played very well, but that seems to be his season, a week on, a month off . . .
Couts and Schenn belong together, Schenn looks like a totally different player on Couts' right than he did playing center.

Yeah, Ghost turns the puck over sometimes, unlike MacDonald and Manning. :laugh:

Just stop. Your desperate need to defend every stupid thing Hakstol does is making you ignore logic and common sense. Take a second to think if what you're saying makes any sense before posting.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Yeah, Ghost turns the puck over sometimes, unlike MacDonald and Manning. :laugh:

Just stop. Your desperate need to defend every stupid thing Hakstol does is making you ignore logic and common sense. Take a second to think if what you're saying makes any sense before posting.
Why don't you be quiet and stop thinking your right on a Opinion message board.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Ghost plays easy minutes and Mac doesn't. Should be easy to see that even if he doesn't belong on the top pair he's doing alright.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Ghost plays easy minutes and Mac doesn't. Should be easy to see that even if he doesn't belong on the top pair he's doing alright.

MacDonald is a bottom 5 % dman. He's trash and he's deflected more goals into the Flyers own net than he's helped score for his team.

Last night was peak ****** MacDonald by running into his own goalie.

I actually hate him almost more than anybody else in the history of Philly sports.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
MacDonald is a bottom 5 % dman. He's trash and he's deflected more goals into the Flyers own net than he's helped score for his team.

Last night was peak ****** MacDonald by running into his own goalie.

I actually hate him almost more than anybody else in the history of Philly sports.
I don't like him one bit but the coach has to balance the d pairings. Ghost gets easy minutes and still has a ton of dumb gafs but so what every dman in the league ****s up.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016

If committing a bad turnover in the d zone is the reason a players ice time is limited with a lead then why is Macdonald consistently out there with a lead?

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
If committing a bad turnover in the d zone is the reason a players ice time is limited with a lead then why is Macdonald consistently out there with a lead?
Easier minutes and he can learn more from it. Most teams with leads don't play kids over vets and that isn't a slap to the kid either.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)

That's pretty obvious. MacDonald is a solid, reliable veteran in late-game situations. He's a gamer and a warrior. His compete level is off the charts. He's ... uhh, erm ...

[Rapidly flips through list of sports clichés]

a great vet to mentor the kids, and a solid presence on the bench and in the room, too. He doesn't get fazed, even after making several egregious errors ... sometimes on the same shift.

Did I already use "reliable"?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't think anything occurs on the Flyers that hasn't been discussed with Hextall, and I suspect on the Phantoms as well. The emphasis is on player development, which is why the kids get different treatment than the veterans, if Konency is playing too much East-West, you try to get a message through, if Voracek is playing too much East-West, you tolerate it or look for a trade partner.

Fans live and die each game, I think Hextall is firmly focused on 2018-19. And in the short-run, on whom he's going to protect, trade and waive over the next six months.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sure... except that your beloved Hakstol is doing the opposite.

Instead of letting the young guys play in tough situations and improve for the future, he's benching them and relying too much on garbage vets like MacDonald because he's too worried about getting the short term win. Ignoring of course that his player evaluation is so bad that he actually believes that MacDonald is a safer option.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Sure... except that your beloved Hakstol is doing the opposite.

Instead of letting the young guys play in tough situations and improve for the future, he's benching them and relying too much on garbage vets like MacDonald because he's too worried about getting the short term win. Ignoring of course that his player evaluation is so bad that he actually believes that MacDonald is a safer option.

good ol "3 zones safe"

hahah

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Do you think Hakstol is doing that without consulting with Hextall?
I don't mean game minutia, but general philosophy how Konency and Ghost should be used.

I can't imagine that Hextall hasn't watched every Flyer and Phantom game, and doesn't know how each player is being used and how they're performing, and hasn't discussed it with Hakstol and Gordon.

Has there been any hints of the usual dissention you hear when the coach and GM aren't on the same page?

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Hextall has said he leaves lineups and lines up to the coach.

So it would appear Hakstol is free to do what he wants.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If Hakstol was going crazy with Ghost and Konecny - like scratching them every other game, giving them tiny amounts of icetime regularly, or other things like that - then I'm sure Hextall would step in, but based on everything he's said, he lets the coach do the coaches job. If he felt he had to micromanage then he'd just fire Hakstol. That doesn't mean he agrees with every single move, every single decision, every single deployment.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Like I said, Hextall is not micromanaging, but I'm sure he discusses with Hakstol why he's doing what he's doing.
I've yet to see the GM/Coach conflict you often see when they're not on the same page.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I find it hard to believe that anyone actually defends Hakstol.

NICK SCHULTZ and CHRIS VANDEVELDE were on the ice more than SHAYNE GOSTISBEHERE and TRAVIS KONECNY in last nights game.

He scratched the player he gave the MOST ICE TIME to the previous game.

:laugh:

Honestly it's histerical at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad