Prospect Info: 71st Overall Leevi Merilainen G, Fin, Karpat Jr

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
This is quite much what he was whole season in Finland. I have followed closely his every game this season and what a journey it has been. He started the season as 2nd goalie behind Joel Blomqvist (Penguins prospect) that had incredible break trough last season. How ever Joel had at least two severe concussions during season and Meriläinen became goalie who pretty much started every game on net. Before this year he had never played in men's league since he left Kärpät to play in OHL 2021.

Coach of U20 team made surprising move by taking Meriläinen over Blomqvist to U20-games, and it was quite big thing in Finnish media, after all Blomqvist had impressive season and was considered as best talent of this age group. Meriläinen didn't have that good start for the season and he was still little bit bad with rebound control, there was some problems with consistency and he was maybe bit stressed on goal from time to time. He was playing as second goalie for start of the season and had some good games, but also games where he could have been better. Quite early on the season Blomqvist got his first concussion and Leevi had to step up, and he was playing behind team that was seriously underperforming. Little by little his game developed and he started to look like confident, calm version of himself that he is now. End of the season he had played 42 games out of 60 and was easily the most important player of his team. Before last few rounds of the regular season he was league #1 of the all stats: saves on average, save% and shutouts. Unlucky for him his team played really, really terrible games and made it impossible for him to stay there, but he was for sure best goalie of the season if you ask me. In most of the games defense of the team looked terrible and he had to make game savers to keep the team on playoff spot. After the season I thought he could be chosen to world cup 3rd goalie, but well he exceeded expectations once again.

Like Jussi Jokinen who is retired Kärpät player said, we have one of the worlds best goalie coaches in our club, Ari Hilli who has been part of Finnish national team and coached in KHL too for few years. He has great ability to work with young talents and make them shine wolrd class. He is able to make young goalies calm, and especially improve their rebound control. Leevi and Joel both had some similar issues on their game but during one season on Finnish elite league they became top of the league. He has been coaching many big names here that include: Pekka Rinne, Niklas Bäckström, Tim Thomas, and new generation Justus Annunen (Avs), Joel Blomqvist (Pens), Leevi Meriläinen, and 2022 drafted Niklas Kokko (Seattle). All these new generation talents have performed well and even tho Kokko is maybe the biggest "natural talent" of this club ever, I think Leevi has been better than Annunen was few years ago.

Meriläinen also seemed to develop himself on mental side during the season, and he was able to bounce from "bad games" back to his best level easily. It will take some time to adjust to smaller rink again, but lucky for you he has quite much games on small ice too. You can expect that he is able to play well, even when opponent is on top of the game. He wont be goalie that positions himself out of the goal easily and gives opponent empty net, his moves sideways are quick but somewhat calm. His rebound control at the end of the season was amazing and even when he made those hard saves with pads, puck goes exactly where he wants it to go. Even tho Finnish League had really good players this season due to KHL dump, I think biggest challenge to Leevi will be that he is facing lot more shots from good sector from top players of the world. Quality and timing of the wristers will be on another level due to small ice and better players. It is impressive to see what he did this year, and for him it was good that Kärpät was kind of shit show this season.

I believe you could have diamond in your hands and maybe he will be new Pekka Rinne from my home town. He has been able to adapt quickly to new level, and he has been on fire for long time. Hopefully he will have some other opportunities and can continue with same confidence.
Thanks for the report

Reactions: Icelevel

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It's only one game, but this could very well be the goalie of the future that we need. Was hoping that would be Sogaard, but he needs way more time to figure out his game.
I just wouldn't have Merilainen as a full-time back-up in the NHL next year, he needs at least a full year in Belleville. History isn't kind to 21 year old NHL goalies.

Reactions: swiftwin

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
This is quite much what he was whole season in Finland. I have followed closely his every game this season and what a journey it has been. He started the season as 2nd goalie behind Joel Blomqvist (Penguins prospect) that had incredible break trough last season. How ever Joel had at least two severe concussions during season and Meriläinen became goalie who pretty much started every game on net. Before this year he had never played in men's league since he left Kärpät to play in OHL 2021.

Coach of U20 team made surprising move by taking Meriläinen over Blomqvist to U20-games, and it was quite big thing in Finnish media, after all Blomqvist had impressive season and was considered as best talent of this age group. Meriläinen didn't have that good start for the season and he was still little bit bad with rebound control, there was some problems with consistency and he was maybe bit stressed on goal from time to time. He was playing as second goalie for start of the season and had some good games, but also games where he could have been better. Quite early on the season Blomqvist got his first concussion and Leevi had to step up, and he was playing behind team that was seriously underperforming. Little by little his game developed and he started to look like confident, calm version of himself that he is now. End of the season he had played 42 games out of 60 and was easily the most important player of his team. Before last few rounds of the regular season he was league #1 of the all stats: saves on average, save% and shutouts. Unlucky for him his team played really, really terrible games and made it impossible for him to stay there, but he was for sure best goalie of the season if you ask me. In most of the games defense of the team looked terrible and he had to make game savers to keep the team on playoff spot. After the season I thought he could be chosen to world cup 3rd goalie, but well he exceeded expectations once again.

Like Jussi Jokinen who is retired Kärpät player said, we have one of the worlds best goalie coaches in our club, Ari Hilli who has been part of Finnish national team and coached in KHL too for few years. He has great ability to work with young talents and make them shine wolrd class. He is able to make young goalies calm, and especially improve their rebound control. Leevi and Joel both had some similar issues on their game but during one season on Finnish elite league they became top of the league. He has been coaching many big names here that include: Pekka Rinne, Niklas Bäckström, Tim Thomas, and new generation Justus Annunen (Avs), Joel Blomqvist (Pens), Leevi Meriläinen, and 2022 drafted Niklas Kokko (Seattle). All these new generation talents have performed well and even tho Kokko is maybe the biggest "natural talent" of this club ever, I think Leevi has been better than Annunen was few years ago.

Meriläinen also seemed to develop himself on mental side during the season, and he was able to bounce from "bad games" back to his best level easily. It will take some time to adjust to smaller rink again, but lucky for you he has quite much games on small ice too. You can expect that he is able to play well, even when opponent is on top of the game. He wont be goalie that positions himself out of the goal easily and gives opponent empty net, his moves sideways are quick but somewhat calm. His rebound control at the end of the season was amazing and even when he made those hard saves with pads, puck goes exactly where he wants it to go. Even tho Finnish League had really good players this season due to KHL dump, I think biggest challenge to Leevi will be that he is facing lot more shots from good sector from top players of the world. Quality and timing of the wristers will be on another level due to small ice and better players. It is impressive to see what he did this year, and for him it was good that Kärpät was kind of shit show this season.

I believe you could have diamond in your hands and maybe he will be new Pekka Rinne from my home town. He has been able to adapt quickly to new level, and he has been on fire for long time. Hopefully he will have some other opportunities and can continue with same confidence.

Thank you for writing such a detailed and useful dossier on Leevi's time at Liiga. Watching him play for the Sens vs. watching his games/highlights from OHL/WJC in previous years I see a more mature, cerebral goalie who is calm and collected, love his economy of movement in the crease, he doesn't seem to look out of place for any shots he can see come his way. Excellent rebound control.

Reactions: JD1 and aragorn

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I just wouldn't have Merilainen as a full-time back-up in the NHL next year, he needs at least a full year in Belleville. History isn't kind to 21 year old NHL goalies.
I agree, If this team wants to be a serious playoff team, we need a goalie. none of the 7 of our guys who played this year is going to help us to get there imo.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I honestly think he is going to be the #1 G in the future but yes. He shouldnt even be in the AHL next year. He should be in Finland getting uncontested starts and seeing as many shots as possible. Then AHL the following year. Then start pushing the NHL goalies the year after.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Getting him with a good NHL level goalie coach on a regular basis should help refine his game, offseason could be huge for him

Reactions: Icelevel

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
I honestly think he is going to be the #1 G in the future but yes. He shouldnt even be in the AHL next year. He should be in Finland getting uncontested starts and seeing as many shots as possible. Then AHL the following year. Then start pushing the NHL goalies the year after.

He'll get uncontested starts in the AHL next season. I don't see a problem. AHL > Finnish league.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I disagree that he shouldn't be in the AHL, but I get what you're saying!

I would love for a sogaard/merilainen combo in the AHL next year. Have sogaard play 45 games and merilainen 35 games.

Then the following year you have sogaard backup, and merilainen play 45-50 as the 1A and then he comes up a year or two later as a backup as sogaard takes the starter position.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Would he get uncontested starts in Finland? They have been playing Bloomqvist ahead of him I thought.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Would he get uncontested starts in Finland? They have been playing Bloomqvist ahead of him I thought.
Currently in Wilkes-Barre on an ATO. Recently signed by the Pens (23/24). He could go back I suppose but I think the expectation he stays. Leevi has 42 games vs Blomqvist 21 to their credit this year.

I don't see any issue with Leevi in Belleville next year. Justin Peters is a good goalie coach from all accounts I've seen.

Troy dropping scouting reports lol

In spite of his accomplishments, Sogaard is quick to give credit to Peters, who not only assisted him with his vast technical knowledge but also supported him through those challenges. In particular, he noted that he helped him to adjust to the pro game.

“It’s a whole new game. Honestly, before, there was no certain game plan for me,” Sogaard said. “I was going through the motions out there. He has established a good program. It’s awesome to work with him. He’s one of the best goalie coaches I’ve ever had and one of the greatest guys. He really takes care of me.”

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
3 pro grames played so far this season 2-0-1 rocking a .933 sv percentage.

I swear don't sleep on Leevi . i am more excited on him than I am Soogard. tbh.
Both guys playing well in Belleville so far this year.

21 and 22 (23 in Dec) years old, these kids have promise if we develop them right and don't bounce them back and forth from league to league. Make sure the teams play right in front of them and we'll see great things from each.

Reactions: Sun God Nika

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad