Prospect Info: 71st Overall Leevi Merilainen G, Fin, Karpat Jr

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Is he EK —> Demelo —> ?
Who knows how good he will be or if he can even make the transition? Gustavsson could turn into a very good goalie, but so could Sogaard & Merilainen or they might all be close & not quite good enough, who knows with goalies? And how the team plays in front of them is equally as important, the system & the defence & whether forwards come back to help.

It takes all 19 guys every game to make it work & try to reduce mistakes especially in their own end. Reduce the goals against & you increase the chances of winning & playing successful hockey.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Who knows how good he will be or if he can even make the transition? Gustavsson could turn into a very good goalie, but so could Sogaard & Merilainen or they might all be close & not quite good enough, who knows with goalies? And how the team plays in front of them is equally as important, the system & the defence & whether forwards come back to help.

It takes all 19 guys every game to make it work & try to reduce mistakes especially in their own end. Reduce the goals against & you increase the chances of winning & playing successful hockey.

I just meant if you knew if he was the pick we got from Demelo.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Oh sorry, I have no idea, I don't really keep track of that. How you doing?

Well thanks … thrilled to watch the game tonight with Norris :) back… one day soon we’ll get to see where Pinto/Stutzle each end up slotting . Hope you’re
well.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well thanks … thrilled to watch the game tonight with Norris :) back… one day soon we’ll get to see where Pinto/Stutzle each end up slotting . Hope you’re
well.
Yep, should be interesting how they can stop the high scoring Panthers tonight. Doing well too, getting a little tired of comstantly cleaning the driveway, it's looking more & more like the warm weather is close. Enjoy the game.

Reactions: Sweatred

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Interesting that Karpat obtained goalie Niclas Westerholm from SaiPa and then signed Westerholm through 2024-25.

Wondering if this is in anticipation of both Merilainen and Blomqvist heading to North America next season or if the club plans on using the 25-year-old rather than the two youngsters in the playoffs?

• Wow
Reactions: senswon

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
While he’s up with the NHL, and with season winding down, with Ottawa’s chances Odds of making the playoffs at 0.6%…. Give him a start, there’s nothing to lose, and there’s no reason to keep playing Talbot, who probably will not be back with the Sens next season

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
While he’s up with the NHL, and with season winding down, with Ottawa’s chances Odds of making the playoffs at 0.6%…. Give him a start, there’s nothing to lose, and there’s no reason to keep playing Talbot, who probably will not be back with the Sens next season
Yeah I’m starting to agree with this. Not sure the guys want to battle for Talbot at this point anyway

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
They have been luckier playing rookie goalies in their first games moreso than playing the vet who has been packing his bags for a while now.

Reactions: Cosmix

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I'll admit that I am nervous about this decision. I'm just hoping that the kid doesn't get shelled, if he does that he has the kind of personality that can shake it off easily. I understand why they are doing it, though - at this point Talbot looks completely broken, and the guys don't want to play for him anymore. On the flip side, they'll be excited about a rookie goalie's NHL debut, and will all want to play hard for him. It definitely makes me want to tune in, whereas I was dreading this one if Talbot was back in...

Yeah I’m starting to agree with this. Not sure the guys want to battle for Talbot at this point anyway
It is just so deflating when your goalie can't make a save for you. The whole bench just sags when another muffin goes in - it's a total energy vampire. You start playing a really weird game, desperately trying not to give up shots and completely abandoning any flow you might have had...

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'll admit that I am nervous about this decision. I'm just hoping that the kid doesn't get shelled, if he does that he has the kind of personality that can shake it off easily. I understand why they are doing it, though - at this point Talbot looks completely broken, and the guys don't want to play for him anymore. On the flip side, they'll be excited about a rookie goalie's NHL debut, and will all want to play hard for him. It definitely makes me want to tune in, whereas I was dreading this one if Talbot was back in...

It is just so deflating when your goalie can't make a save for you. The whole bench just sags when another muffin goes in - it's a total energy vampire. You start playing a really weird game, desperately trying not to give up shots and completely abandoning any flow you might have had...
He does well when shelled though ;)

He’s the 4 rookie to get a game, and the third playing his first this season, so he’s going to fit right in. We have 7 rookies in the lineup again I believe so he’ll be in good company.

So stoked to see this laughed at pick rise to dark horse, to excellent season, to first NHL game. Gotta find that diamond in the rough goalie somewhere.

Reactions: R We A Team

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
If there's ever a time that the rest of the team digs down to play their best to make sure a rookie goalie's first start isn't horrific, its now. Can't wait to see how Levi Merlainen performs

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
If there's ever a time that the rest of the team digs down to play their best to make sure a rookie goalie's first start isn't horrific, its now. Can't wait to see how Levi Merlainen performs
We left sogaard put to dry in must win games.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
I think Leevi is mentally strong because he knows crying won't help him and praying will do him no good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad