Post-Game Talk: #71 | Wild at Flyers | March 23, 2023

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Kucherov and Point were not #1 picks.

Caufield is not a star, he's DeBrincat, good goal scorer who brings little else to the table.
York is a top 4 D-man and we got Brink as well.

Tanking for Bedard is nice, but the odds you get him are 5 to 10:1.
And even if the Flyers actively tanked this season, it would been difficult to finish better than 5th.
CBJ, San Jose, Chicago and Anaheim are really bad.
Arizona tried desperately to tank and they're tied with us at 6th.
This.

Reactions: tucson83

ugiswrong

Dec 8, 2005
deutschland
The teams currently directly above Flyera are going through their depression since their hopes faded more recently. So they will lose a bit.

The teams below us, if you look at their goal differential, are just even more horrendous. We aren’t slipping that far and never were.

I think really it’s only worth watching what Arizona and Montreal do these next weeks.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
Foerster has been one of the best forwards on this team since he was called up. Last night I was thinking this is another team, this isn’t the Flyers.
Frost and Foerster have been something else. There is some serious chemistry there and along with Farabee playing some good hockey in the last week. Those 3 players have been bad for the tank.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Kucherov was pick 57.
So at least the flyers can use there 2nd round oops....
Well, maybe if the flyers trade their 2024 2ND oops
Your only hope on getting pick 50+ is giving up on O'Brien.

It generally helps when making a case that 2nd round picks can hit is if the team ACTUALLY HAS A 2ND ROUND PICK THAT THE FLYERS KEPT AND DIDN'T TRADE FOR A RENTAL RHD OR DUMP A RHD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cat The More You Know GIF

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

It's funny, but as far as picks not panning out, a compensatory pick is basically best case. Obviously, we'd all like the pick to pan out, like Miller or Sandin (who were 2 of my top 3 on the board). But look at these other picks immediately after O'Brien: Kupari, Merkley, Lundestrom, Johansson (Flahrsy!), Bokk, Bernard-Docker, Beaudin, Veleno, Alexyev. Would you trade ANY of these for pick 51? Not a chance.

Now, if only the Flyers had their own top 40 pick for 3 years in a row, and extra 1sts and 2nds.....

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
Kucherov was pick 57.
So at least the flyers can use there 2nd round oops....
Well, maybe if the flyers trade their 2024 2ND oops

It generally helps when making a case that 2nd round picks can hit is if the team ACTUALLY HAS A 2ND ROUND PICK THAT THE FLYERS KEPT AND DIDN'T TRADE FOR A RENTAL RHD OR DUMP A RHD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cat The More You Know GIF
Braydon Point was 79th

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
4 2's
2 3's

got flyers
1 salary dump
3 rhd rentals with one year on the deal.

You cannot tell flyers fans with common sense about depth picks are needed when then organization for the past 4 years has shown a LOATHING of keeping 2nd round picks.

But I forgot that will be Hextall's fault too instead of Flusher.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017

Caufield is not a star, he's DeBrincat, good goal scorer who brings little else to the table.

And even if the Flyers actively tanked this season, it would been difficult to finish better than 5th.
there's just too many bad teams that's the problem here, the organization saw that, they knew bedard was a pipe dream from the beginning, that's why they didnt tank.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama

I agree with the odds about getting Bedard - and I know just tanking doesn't ensure success - see Arizona. But without a legitimate star I don't see how any team can consistently compete for the Cup in the modern setting. Unless you have a St Louis Blues type of magical run, which is not a consistent plan but one based on hope.

Think about any Cup contender - they have 3 or 4 players better than ANYONE on the Flyers. For the Flyers to be able to compete, you are talking we need 3 or 4 players better than any currently on the team. Odds show the best way to get a good player is to have a high draft pick. High draft picks have a better chance of being impact players. It is not an exact science but based on statistics, it is the best way.

If you go back to the lockout season, since then,, 15 times the scoring leader was picked in the top 3 - Kucherov, Benn, and St. Louis are the only ones not taken in the top 3.

Plus notice who got Point and Kucherov - Tampa. When was the last time the Flyers picked a player in a later round who ended up leading the league in scoring? I don't trust this franchise at all. Granted, to be honest, I think even if the Flyers got Bedard, he would fail in some way, so I really have no point in arguing...

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Brought to us by the same assessment process that determined despite actual results, Rocky is a "very bright" coach who will fix the offense and PP. And Gordon is also "very bright" and destined for another NHL shot. And Yandle and Hagg and TDA are clearly better than Ghost. And Stewart will be good and score ten goals. Among many more very wrong takes.

The omens are bad for the "we are making a good foundation and this agony is nearly over" assessment.
Hakstol and AV were jerked off constantly too. Praised for being smart and charismatic too.

And obviously “Torts is the best thing that has happened to this team in a long time”.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
A team with no stars tends to lose to teams with them. Just look at every cup winner besides St Louis in the cap era. I'd say it's pretty foolish to build a cup contender based on the one exception in ~20 years.
There are Hockey God's, you see? And the way to appease them is to play the Right Way. And if you play the Right Way -- which the Old Guy Testament describes as winning games with a maximum of 3 goals, forechecking, banging bodies, and blocking shots -- these Gods will rewards you just like They rewarded teams like the Blues and ... umm, that's about it, with winning.

• Haha
Reactions: WIP CALLER

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
There are Hockey God's, you see? And the way to appease them is to play the Right Way. And if you play the Right Way -- which the Old Guy Testament describes as winning games with a maximum of 3 goals, forechecking, banging bodies, and blocking shots -- these Gods will rewards you just like They rewarded teams like the Blues and ... umm, that's about it, with winning.
50 years of Flyers history says otherwise..

just sayin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad