Post-Game Talk: #71| Hurricanes 3 at FLYERS 4 (OT) | Sun., March 19, 2017

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd put Lindblom with G, and reunite Raffl with Couturier. They were a strong duo in 15-16, but have barely played together this season.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
A really low number says he simply doesn't want to put his body on the line. Not saying he should be diving in front of every shot, but it does raise eyebrows.
You don't think there's a correlation between that and willingness to engage physically in other aspects of the game?

Like I said, I don't compare him to Schenn or Simmonds, but when a smurf like Konency (who's a bit reckless, to be honest, and needs to pick his spots) is willing to sacrifice his body for the team, it makes Voracek look, ahem, a tad "soft."

His so-called physical game seems to consist of placing his body between a defenseman and the puck and skating around while maintaining that positioning. Which is nice, but not exactly what I define as "physical" play.

Maybe he should have chosen soccer as his sport?

This might be the most preposterous argument I've seen from you yet. Do you always need to be the contrarian?

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia
Finishing checks is essentially a primary factor in "physicality" when pertaining to hockey. Jake can be described as many things but to say he brings any kind of notable physicality element to his game just isn't true. I also wouldn't call him soft, though. There's just nothing regarding physicality worth mentioning about him. Using your size to protect pucks isn't what's meant by "being physical" in hockey.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Winning puck battles, using your body to shield the puck from opposing players or to take them off it, being tough to contain down low, sustaining possession and cycles......to me that's physicality that matters a whole lot more than just blowing someone up or finishing checks after the puck is gone or selfishly getting out of position to make a hit that brings the crowd to its feet.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I'd put Lindblom with G, and reunite Raffl with Couturier. They were a strong duo in 15-16, but have barely played together this season.
I'm really concerned about people getting over their skis with Lindblom. Eventually he probably is going to be the top line LW. Right now I'd like to pencil him in as the 3rd line LW to start the season and then take it from there. When he settles into the NHL, move him up. Expectations might be the worst enemy that he faces. He's still young.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
I'm really concerned about people getting over their skis with Lindblom. Eventually he probably is going to be the top line LW. Right now I'd like to pencil him in as the 3rd line LW to start the season and then take it from there. When he settles into the NHL, move him up. Expectations might be the worst enemy that he faces. He's still young.

Seconded. Appleyard, it's all your fault. :D

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Putting him on the top line doesn't mean we expect him to be a top line LW immediately (production wise), but that doesn't mean he cant play there and be a Raffl-like presence.

Even before he becomes an offensive producer, he still has his great board-work and tenacity, two things that would make Giroux and Simmonds jobs much easier.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I'm still working out which one is the top line. Stick him on any line, although next to Giroux he'd be especially nice (for Claude's sake more than anyone's). Just don't use him on the Bellemare line. That's the one line we KNOW is not the top line.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
It's just labeling at the end of the day which is becoming more & more meaningless in today's NHL with an importance placed on depth along with bench management.

You don't want a giant drop off in ES ice time between your lines anymore. As teams aren't loading their bottom six with pluggers anymore (or at least not as many & the team's worth a damn).

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Winning puck battles, using your body to shield the puck from opposing players or to take them off it, being tough to contain down low, sustaining possession and cycles......to me that's physicality that matters a whole lot more than just blowing someone up or finishing checks after the puck is gone or selfishly getting out of position to make a hit that brings the crowd to its feet.

Exactly how I feel as well. I'm as frustrated by Jake recently as anyone, but he is obviously a physical player in the above ways.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'd really like to keep Weal and Lube and run this next year:

Weal-G-Simmer
TK-Flip-Jake
Lindblom-Couts-Schenn
Raffl-PEB-Lube

I think that's our best combination - that "3rd" line will give teams nightmares.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Still not impressed by Weal and Lyubimov is easily replaceable. I'd rather see others in those spots.

I agree. It would be settling to have them penciled IMO.

This time next year Lube would be getting the same treatment our other trash players get. They just appreciate him because he's new and he works his ass off.

tymed

Jun 11, 2007
British Columbia

I definitely wasn't making an argument for or against the motion of wanting or needing Jake to be more physical, only that "physicality" isn't a notable part of his game-a motion that a particular poster was being berated for regardless of it being completely valid. If I had to put forward an opinion about it though, I would be in agreement with you that playing a more "physical" style wouldn't be an improvement on Jake's particular style of game. Although, I could certainly get on board with Jake using his body more intimidatingly here and there, crushing some guys once in a while, but don't think he should put much thought into it. Jake's speed and momentum are the paramount part of his style and trying to sneak much physicality into it would almost certainly come at the cost of his offensive production-it's just not needed on this squad from him in particular.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
flips struggles are definitely tied in with jakes poor play in the last 10 games or so. He has been a line killer of late. awful decision making, holding onto the puck too long, forcing plays that aren't there, and making awful turnovers. not too many players would look good next to Jake right now with how he has been playing.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

I wouldn't worry about the "top line" stuff. We have three pretty equal lines now, and that should be the case next year, too. Lindblom just seems like he'd be a good fit with Giroux. Playing on our 3rd line means having much more defensive responsibility as a rookie.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I wouldn't worry about the "top line" stuff. We have three pretty equal lines now, and that should be the case next year, too. Lindblom just seems like he'd be a good fit with Giroux. Playing on our 3rd line means having much more defensive responsibility as a rookie.
My concern is about expectations. The way some fans trash players, if Lindblom isn't the second coming of Mikael Renberg, they'll write him off as a Swede who can't handle the smaller rinks. He's going to be making a lot of adjustments. Hopefully folks will give him some slack.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
My concern is about expectations. The way some fans trash players, if Lindblom isn't the second coming of Mikael Renberg, they'll write him off as a Swede who can't handle the smaller rinks. He's going to be making a lot of adjustments. Hopefully folks will give him some slack.

But the type of idiots who post stupid and impatient **** shouldn't be listened to anyway, so who cares? If someone gives up on a prospect after one year then just ignore them.

Lindblom can play on the top line next year without being a legit top line player, like Raffl did. He probably won't score a ton next year, but he'll be a rookie so you can't expect too much.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think Filppula has been pretty good actually. Not sure what people are watching but I disagree. His line isn't getting much done lately but a lot of that is because Jake has been positively brain dead the past few weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad