Confirmed with Link: 7 Years x 5.5M$ Josh Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Tom Wilson
Evander Kane
Timo Meier
Anthony Mantha
Gabriel Landeskog
Jamie Benn
Mark Stone
Matthew Tkachuk
Brady Tkachuk
Chris Kreider
Anders Lee
Andrei Svechnikov

Got 12 for you right off the top of my head.
Maybe 3-4 of these guys bring the intimidation factor Anderson brings. Each one highly prized by their team, especially if also a pugilist.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
That could backfire. I suspect that Domi was traded because of his outsized demands. BGally could be traded for comparable scoring skill. His value around the league is still pretty high. All depends if he wants to stay or not.

Domi is only for two years, but he is also only at $200K less than Anderson. After those two years, Domi will be over $6M. I'm not saying he won't deserve it if he has success in Columbus. But at the time of Domi's next contract, Anderson will be at a lower AAV.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Hey look at that, tyler seguin torn labrum in his hip, CAREERS OVER RIGHT??

The way people talk about Anderson's shoulder literally blows my MIND
This kind of injury happens ALL the time
He needs to keep rehabbing the snot out of those shoulders though, otherwise they will be chronic and undermine his career. And as I mentioned, tone down the fighting.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
Great to see that this thread has got back on its feet a bit.

People here were laughing at the Chiarot signing last summer like it was the next Alzner. Look how that turned out.

How long have we been looking for a real skilled power forward in his prime. If he's healthy, the fan base will love him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He needs to keep rehabbing the snot out of those shoulders though, otherwise they will be chronic and undermine his career. And as I mentioned, tone down the fighting.

He is 100% healthy. He doesn't need to rehab anything right now.

If anything, he tried to rehab it when he initially got hurt last year. Came back still not 100%. He got hurt again and missed the rest of the year. He tried rehabbing it for months before he opted for surgery, which was the smart move. He said that if Columbus would get past Tampa in the 1st Round, he would have been good to go in the 2nd Round.

For certain injuries, surgery is the best option because you fixed the problem.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

I even suspect the tear came from fighting over hitting, if he has to ease up on fighting, that's JUST fine with me, he's proven he's tough enough

Reactions: dralaf

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
OK but by the end of his age 26 season Lucic had gotten into 662 games and scored 403 points while being known as possibly the most imposing scoring line player in the NHL.

Of course, his decline has been pretty steep, but at least it was a decline from something pretty awesome.

I agree and they are ultimately different players. Anderson is actually fast.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

We need to compare apples to apples though. The way Seguin needs to play and the way anderson needs to play are quite different.

Anderson is more in line with players like Lucic, Clarkson, Ryan Smyth, Erik Cole, Rene Bourque, Tom Wilson etc...

Obviously they all have their own signatures to the game but generally, they all share the trait of having to play physical, and going to the net to be successful.

Reactions: montreal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Markov was out for two years with back-to-back knee injuries. And he was older. He had surgery two times. He came back, played 5 seasons and barely missed a game. And he still was able to put up 40-50 point seasons.

Anderson also spoke to other players who had the same injury and had surgery. And they told him that their operated shoulder was their stronger shoulder afterwards.

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Now I've read that on top of the shoulder, he hurt his knee previously. This is amazing. The knee is one of the most fragile spot you can injure. My dad busted his playing softball 25 years ago, it never fully healed despite multiple surgeries. I mean he's far from a cripple, he walks well etc. but he also doesnt play a contact sport in a pro league so I couldnt say how solid it is. JA isnt my old man but my point is : two injuries in the last 3 years, a career high of 40ish points, and MB showers him in money and term. Our top-paid forward has never scored 50 points. What a well-built roster.
No disrespect to your dad, but his injury is simply not relevant. First and most obviously, no two injuries are the same. Second, his injury occurred 25 years ago and he probably didn't have access to the best orthopedic surgeons and sports therapists on the continent. And third, Josh Anderson's 27 goal season came after the knee injury.

Some people are really overplaying the injury card. I totally get that we paid a lot to acquire and retain Anderson and there is considerable risk that this does not turn out well. If it doesn't, I'm pretty sure that it won't be due to injuries.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Makes you wonder what he'd be asking for if he didn't have a shit season last year.

It's steep. I'm sure he'll bounce back some extent but his career high would justify this contract and its called a career high for a reason. I wish he had another year of that type of performance before he got a contract like this.

Reactions: Toene

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
Best case scenario he becomes a 25+ goal PF and does it for the next 5+ years

Worst case scenario he becomes Matt Belesky

Most realistic scenario he gets hurt and goes on LTIR?
How on earth did you arrive at that conclusion as being the most realistic?

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Clarkson is way smaller, not as fast and was 3 or 4 years older than Anderson is now if memory serves me right. Clarkson was around 30 for the leafs.

Clarkson was 29 at the time he signed. But his injury was more serious than Anderson's last year. Clarkson had chronic back problems. He had problems with his spine. So a lot more serious than Anderson's shoulder injury.

Reactions: dralaf

Garo

Jul 30, 2005
Montréal
This contract isn't the absolute worst thing ever if you look at comparables without context, but it's beyond awful because once again it shows how utterly delusional Bergevin is in evaluating his team.

Tom Wilson is a very, very meh comparable in context, because Washington massively pays dominant players. They can afford that fifth or sixth forward to be paid a little beyond because everything he brings as a plus makes sense with their structure, where the team is, and what the goals are. And they won a Cup for it. Montréal? Our massively paid stars are a goalie who is clearly trending down, albeit still able to steal games here and there for sure, and Weber. At best right now with those two, what the team can hope at its absolute best is a last day save for the playoffs, and then lose probably as soon as they face a competent team. So... we squander cap space on middling players, but not just that, we give them... term. Literally why? It's just gonna make paying our guys harder - even though they also don't make us a really good team, so if we fail to pay them well uh we'll suck even more ig but like - and doesn't do anything to solve the glaring glaring issues on the team. No, having a guy on the second line to play physical and maybe at peak chip in 20 to 25 goals was not it, there's absolutely no way we can score consistently with this roster, we can't pay our guys if there's issues with raising the cap next year and there's very likely to be, and we don't really have that much cheap talent that can be outright dominant. And if Kotkaniemi actually does that this year we're screwed.

We spent 9 millions with massive term on Anderson and Edmundson this offseason, for no particular logic considering where the team is. I can't see what there is to be happy about.

Reactions: Wats
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad