Bruins Classics GDT 7 PM - THE LAST HURRAH - Final game at Boston Garden

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was bawling like a baby when Normand skated

A poignant moment when Léveillé held on to Bourque, who helped him across to the the center ice area.

Also amazing was all those Bruin alumni who reserved a special salute just for Orr as he was making his way to them.

Last edited:
Reactions: crimsonace and BMC

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have no idea where the Garden banners are as they made new ones for the new Garden

Nice touch with the frames of the banners that they handed out to those players with retired jerseys or their families.

There was something special about those old banners. Couldn't they have just displayed them in the new arena?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
16299248253_b3352f1872_b.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Unlike a recent alumni tribute by the New Jersey Devils, all the names on the sweaters of the honorees looked right, no typos.

Also, it looked to me that all the jerseys were authentic and matched the era that a given player was active in.

Somebody paid attention to all the details unless I missed something.

Also, you couldn't help but notice the voluminous champ heads of hair of Bobby Orr, Ray Bourque and Terry O'Reilly. Blessed in other ways on top of their hockey accomplishments.

Nice job by the Bruins in putting together a classy and emotional closing ceremony.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
Also, it looked to me that all the jerseys were authentic and matched the era that a given player was active in.

Somebody paid attention to all the details unless I missed something.

They were representative of each player’s first year as a Bruin, which was an incredible touch.

25 years later and that ceremony still gets me - especially Léveillé. It was a perfect sendoff for the Garden. It probably gets me a bit more knowing several of the people involved have since passed away.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Yet another great anecdote.

I would have loved to have met Maurice Richard. By all accounts a very good man.

Another NHL player said at Richard's funeral that he could not comprehend what life was like for the Rocket saying the man gets a standing ovation going to the supermarket - That player was Gordie Howe.

I still miss the dump as I knew every nuance of that building. I knew how to get into any event for free if need be simply going next door to the Analex Building and taking the elevator to the second floor and then walking over the sky bridge to the old East Lobby. I even pulled that off for Game 7 of Lakers/Celtics in 1984.

The Garden had the best seats in the NHL and also the worst seats. When the playoffs came if you wanted tickets you had to sleep overnight to be sure you could get in and one year the box office changed the rules the morning of the ticket sale and a cub reporter for the Globe got his first byline interviewing me. I have often wondered what happened to that reporter :rolleyes:

upload_2020-3-30_4-11-57.png
upload_2020-3-30_4-13-1.png

I must admit because of that story the Bruins sold me a playoff strip so it all ended well :)

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
They were representative of each player’s first year as a Bruin, which was an incredible touch.

25 years later and that ceremony still gets me - especially Léveillé. It was a perfect sendoff for the Garden. It probably gets me a bit more knowing several of the people involved have since passed away.

That thought ran through my mind for many of them- "well, he has since passed on". :(

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
After watching The Last Hurrah for about the 30th time, I'm curious to see what the Bruins will do when they celebrate the franchise's centennial in four years. That was a pretty good blueprint for a celebration.

Last edited:

BruinsFTW

Jun 26, 2007
Boston, MA

I love this tribute, and I think I’ve watched this probably 60 times since I found it on YouTube.

This video makes me cry every single time I watch it. Not just tear up or get weepy - I sob and blubber. It takes me back to nights when my dad would take my younger brother and I to Bruins games at the old Garden, and those were some of the best nights of my life. Dad knew a guy who had three seats in the first row right behind the goal that the Bruins shot at twice, and very occasionally bought them so we could go to a game. The game action was indescribable - to this day I’ve never seen anything like it. The joy of seeing my heroes so close made my heart pound. It was so exciting!

Dad bought us sodas, hot dogs, ice cream, popcorn, and all the food we could eat. He never once said we couldn’t have something, even though my parents ran their household on a very tight budget.

Another blessed memory I have is that the Bruins (and the Celtics, too) NEVER lost a game I went to with my father. Not a single one. No ties, either. Winners every time.

Thanks for the memories, pop.

Thanks for sharing that. Awesome story. Thats what lifes all about. Anyone who has been lucky enough to been taken to well any pro sport event..but especially your favorite sport with your dad or family. Just stuff you never forget. Getting hot dogs, sodas, asking if you can get a puck or something. I didn't grow up in Boston but I remember going to Devil and Flyer games as a kid. I used to like collecting pucks so I'd always get one. Tho anytime they had a new Bruins version puck I had to grab it haha.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Thanks for sharing that. Awesome story. Thats what lifes all about. Anyone who has been lucky enough to been taken to well any pro sport event..but especially your favorite sport with your dad or family. Just stuff you never forget. Getting hot dogs, sodas, asking if you can get a puck or something. I didn't grow up in Boston but I remember going to Devil and Flyer games as a kid. I used to like collecting pucks so I'd always get one. Tho anytime they had a new Bruins version puck I had to grab it haha.
Same here! Thank you for sharing, too!

I got a Bruins puck at my very first game - Game 2 of the ‘88 Adams Division Semifinals - and I’ve been collecting pucks ever since. Whenever I see the Bruins take on a new opponent I’ve never seen before, I buy a new puck. I have yet to find a worthy way to display them, but it’s on my to do list.

Aside from numerous Bruins pucks of all kinds, I have:

Buffalo Sabres
Toronto Maple Leafs
New Jersey Devils
Hartford Whalers
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals
New York Rangers
Florida Panthers
Montreal Canadiens
Philadelphia Flyers
Ottawa Senators
Chicago Blackhawks
Edmonton Oilers

Some of these teams I’ve seen more than once, and I’ve seen wins against all but the Flyers and Panthers.

The last game I went to with the old man was the Bruins’ 2011 3-0 home win over the Blackhawks. My brother is also a 103 electrician, and he won a raffle at a union meeting, and the prize was tickets to a luxury box at the Garden for that game. Aside from Shawn Thornton being badly cut by a skate blade in that game - it was a perfect night.

I went home happy with my Blackhawks puck/scalp.

crimsonace

Mar 7, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
This is the last time they wore those beautiful uniforms too

Bring them back. Stat.

What they replaced them with were, well, I don't think any of us miss them (although I do have one FleetCenter-era white sweater I bought because I found it really cheap on my honeymoon in Montreal, but that's the *only* reminder I have of those).

Reactions: rfournier103

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
What they replaced them with were, well, I don't think any of us miss them (although I do have one FleetCenter-era white sweater I bought because I found it really cheap on my honeymoon in Montreal, but that's the *only* reminder I have of those).

Yep. Though for nostalgia's sake if they wore them once a year, I wouldn't mind. But definitely far worse as regular jerseys than the current sets or the 70s-90s ones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad