Bruins Classics GDT 7 PM - THE LAST HURRAH - Final game at Boston Garden

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thanks again @dafoomie

s-l1600.jpg

The game itself was meaningless as it was a preseason affair but what happened at halftime ( the game was two 25 minute periods ) and after the final siren was a celebration of Bruins hockey.

I hope to see all of you in the GDT

:bruins

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

I love this tribute, and I think I’ve watched this probably 60 times since I found it on YouTube.

This video makes me cry every single time I watch it. Not just tear up or get weepy - I sob and blubber. It takes me back to nights when my dad would take my younger brother and I to Bruins games at the old Garden, and those were some of the best nights of my life. Dad knew a guy who had three seats in the first row right behind the goal that the Bruins shot at twice, and very occasionally bought them so we could go to a game. The game action was indescribable - to this day I’ve never seen anything like it. The joy of seeing my heroes so close made my heart pound. It was so exciting!

Dad bought us sodas, hot dogs, ice cream, popcorn, and all the food we could eat. He never once said we couldn’t have something, even though my parents ran their household on a very tight budget.

Another blessed memory I have is that the Bruins (and the Celtics, too) NEVER lost a game I went to with my father. Not a single one. No ties, either. Winners every time.

Thanks for the memories, pop.

Last edited:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Why was the Garden kept open into the fall? Was the new building behind schedule?

Just odd the last game wasn’t the spring prior. And I do remember when you could walk underneath both still.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I believe I only went to the old Garden once in 1992. At 3 years old, I have no recollection.

From watching old Bruins games, however, I feel heavily nostalgic for something I never even experienced. I do remember being in a limo home from the airport on the Central Artery and seeing it cut wide open. A unique memory, but sucks that is my only one.

I envy all of you who got to go and experience it firsthand. From seeing what you all have to say about it, and hearing/seeing the sights and deafening crowd noise on television, I come close to thinking I would tack on 5-10 years to my life right now if it meant I had a memory of attending a game there.

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I believe I only went to the old Garden once in 1992. At 3 years old, I have no recollection.

From watching old Bruins games, however, I feel heavily nostalgic for something I never even experienced. I do remember being in a limo home from the airport on the Central Artery and seeing it cut wide open. A unique memory, but sucks that is my only one.

I envy all of you who got to go and experience it firsthand. From seeing what you all have to say about it, and hearing/seeing the sights and deafening crowd noise on television, I come close to thinking I would tack on 5-10 years to my life right now if it meant I had a memory of attending a game there.
Brother... it would be totally worth it. I wouldn’t trade those games for anything.

Reactions: CharasLazyWrister

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

I love this tribute, and I think I’ve watched this probably 60 times since I found it on YouTube.

This video makes me cry every single time I watch it. Not just tear up or get weepy - I sob and blubber. It takes me back to nights when my dad would take my younger brother and I to Bruins games at the old Garden, and those were some of the best nights of my life. Dad knew a guy who had three seats in the first row right behind the goal that the Bruins shot at twice, and very occasionally bought them so we could go to a game. The game action was indescribable - to this day I’ve never seen anything like it. The joy of seeing my heroes so close made my heart pound. It was so exciting!

Dad bought us sodas, hot dogs, ice cream, popcorn, and all the food we could eat. He never once said we couldn’t have something, even though my parents ran their household on a very tight budget.

Another blessed memory I have is that the Bruins (and the Celtics, too) NEVER lost a game I went to with my father. Not a single one. No ties, either. Winners every time.

Thanks for the memories, pop.

Very heartfelt and warm memories, thanks for sharing them.:thumbu:

Reactions: rfournier103

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Why was the Garden kept open into the fall? Was the new building behind schedule?

Just odd the last game wasn’t the spring prior. And I do remember when you could walk underneath both still.

The Bruins took notes of what had happened in Chicago the previous year where they had a big night and then had playoff games.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad