Recalled/Assigned: 7 Players Assigned, 3 Released (Ferraro, Callahan Waived, Post 41)

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
I almost hate to interrupt this epic arguement by just saying

both Glendenning and Andersson seem to be good defensive forwards.

And Both are likely no better than bottom 6 players.

Also we likely only have room for 1 on the roster at any one time. So i can see where this arguement is needed.

Which player is better?

I would argue that its immaterial. The Red Wings staff will decide. Either outcome is our 4th line Center is highly unlikely to be the key to if we win games or not. I would much rather Weiss and Sheahan to amazingly in the 2/3 roles.

Just for some fun references:

http://nightmareonhelmstreet.com/uncategorized/why-is-luke-glendening-valuable.html

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2014/08/red_wings_outlook_teams_depth.html

I don't think its immaterial at all. Because while their overall potential is comparable (I'd give the slidght edge to Andy), their games are pretty different. I'm not a fan of depth guys with big bodies who don't use them and Andersson is soft as butter. I'd prefer Glendening because after half a season or so, I think he'd be as reliable as Andy is defensively, but also provide more speed, more physicality, and Maltby-like agitating quality. And while I'm not holding my breath in the goal-scoring department, he looked a lot more dangerous in the playoffs and pre-season around the net.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
I'm just waiting to see Nestrasil get waived, get claimed, and do well with another team, and all of it so that Dan Cleary, who can no longer play hockey, can remain on the roster. Yep.

In the summer this was said of Ferraro and Callahan, and in the one before this it was Mursak, guess you had to find someone else now. At least wait for the milk to actually be spilled before you cry over it, you'll live a happier life that way.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
I don't view Glendening as the type of player you populate a roster with if you have Cup aspirations. At best his role on a legitimate contender would be as an AHL depth call-up. He is not someone you shove in your lineup for 70+ games and expect to win consistently. Unless he takes huge strides in his nonexistent offensive game he's nothing but a black hole to any line that hinders scoring. He's a subpar possession player who seems lost with the puck on his stick. I doubt the Wings will be making any deep playoff runs until he's off the roster. He's just a lesser skilled version of Matt Ellis from back in the day.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I don't view Glendening as the type of player you populate a roster with if you have Cup aspirations. At best his role on a legitimate contender would be as an AHL depth call-up. He is not someone you shove in your lineup for 70+ games and expect to win consistently. Unless he takes huge strides in his nonexistent offensive game he's nothing but a black hole to any line that hinders scoring. He's a subpar possession player who seems lost with the puck on his stick. I doubt the Wings will be making any deep playoff runs until he's off the roster. He's just a lesser skilled version of Matt Ellis from back in the day.

100 % agree. But whatever. Bigger fish to try IMO.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
He's really not the type of player that keeps a team from making deep playoff runs. Guys like Quincey and Weiss are. Players paid to have big roles that have to be sheltered and played in small roles to not be liabilities. Glendening is a hard-working guy with solid defensive talents that also get on the nerves of opposing players. He's a small, small part of a team but I actually think he could be exactly the type of player that shines in a playoff run. I only hope he develops a little big of offense, I actually thought that part of his game looked promising in pre-season.

YostisHome

Wet Bandits
May 7, 2010
Only Holland would believe a player (Kindl) that would easily clear waivers still has trade value. From what I saw in the preseason, looks just like 2013-14 all over again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad