Post-Game Talk: 7 in a row! Canucks def. Ducks - 2-1 (OT) (Pearson, Miller)

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
If JT Miller doesn't fit the teams "plan", then neither does Garland or Demko. If they don't fit, then don't expect Huggy to stick around. We are tracking well out of lottery territory, and hold only assets that will return late picks from top teams. Thus, we would be cheering for a team of not yet draft eligible players, and maybe Podz? **** that.

JTM for governor!
Exactly, some Canucks fans think we have this immense pool of talent in the farm where we can afford to trade miller and replace him with another prospect. Those days are gone because Benning traded lots of futures for the win now mode. So we cant be trading foundational pieces now to win 6 years down the road. Its completely idiotic to trade 9th overall, 4th round pick to get OEL and Garland then turn around and trade Miller for prospects and pick. Would be the laughing stock of the league doing these types of moves that dont make sense. If Miller was to be traded, then we would have hold on to that 9th overall pick and drafted Guenther to be the replacement for Miller while also not having OEL's 7 Million dollar cap hit and trading Miller for more cap space if we needed to make big moves to restructure the team. First you want to see if this team can be a playoff team and can go far with a tweak before removing any hopes of being even a playoff contender. The Canucks have been playing great in these last 10 games, so any talks of a Miller trade is just idiotic at this point. Let see what Bruce can do and see where the team is at. Miller could very well be signed and Pettersson might get traded for some young and high potential prospect and a roster player. We dont know what JR will do.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I remember that. Canucks started 5-6 or something and people were freaking out. Suddenly Bertuzzi and Naslund went apeshit on everyone. Fun season.

That was Naslund's 'We choked' speech wrt winning the conference #1 seed. That was when I started to turn on Naslund tbh. Bertuzzi was getting away with a push-off move off the goalie for close-in rebounds, once they started calling goalie interference on it the next season, his production went into the toilet.... then he got suspended.

Bertuzzi brushed off the Wild when we were up 3-1 in the series, motivating them, then we collapsed. Cloutier melted right down, it was really awful to see as I used to defend him. We were even up by 2 in game 7 in the 2nd period, then Cloutier happened. Minnesota Wild at Vancouver Canucks Box Score — May 8, 2003 | Hockey-Reference.com

Godkolzin

Oct 19, 2021
Exactly, some Canucks fans think we have this immense pool of talent in the farm where we can afford to trade miller and replace him with another prospect. Those days are gone because Benning traded lots of futures for the win now mode. So we cant be trading foundational pieces now to win 6 years down the road. Its completely idiotic to trade 9th overall, 4th round pick to get OEL and Garland then turn around and trade Miller for prospects and pick. Would be the laughing stock of the league doing these types of moves that dont make sense. If Miller was to be traded, then we would have hold on to that 9th overall pick and drafted Guenther to be the replacement for Miller while also not having OEL's 7 Million dollar cap hit and trading Miller for more cap space if we needed to make big moves to restructure the team. First you want to see if this team can be a playoff team and can go far with a tweak before removing any hopes of being even a playoff contender. The Canucks have been playing great in these last 10 games, so any talks of a Miller trade is just idiotic at this point. Let see what Bruce can do and see where the team is at. Miller could very well be signed and Pettersson might get traded for some young and high potential prospect and a roster player. We dont know what JR will do.

Bro I'm stoked and absolutely agree Miller should be a lock as a core player at this point. But FORMATTING damn

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Next 4 games:
LA, Seattle, NYI, Ottawa

And then it gets really tough:
7 games against
Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Washington, Nashville, Florida, St Louis
Yikes, as these 6 teams are a combined 98 W 39 L 18 OT/SO L for 59 games over 500

I would think we have to almost win the next 4 more in a row just to tread water over the next 11 games.

Maybe 2-1-1 over the next 4
And maybe if we are lucky 2-3-2 in those 7
4-4-3 over all and we are still just at .500 with a bunch of ground to make up and teams to pass. Crazy tough but it has been an amazing little run here- fun.

Bruce is 7-0 and the Canucks keep winning even without Boeser yet you still talk about treading water? cmon you naysayers always like to spoil the party. What makes you think Canucks cant beat those teams when they have beaten Bruins, Hurricanes and Ducks? Maybe relax and see how this team is playing. If we win the next 4, that means going 11-0 under Bruce and that means we wont be treading water but we would be spitting fire like a jet engine.

Godkolzin

Oct 19, 2021
Next 4 games:
LA, Seattle, NYI, Ottawa

And then it gets really tough:
7 games against
Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Washington, Nashville, Florida, St Louis
Yikes, as these 6 teams are a combined 98 W 39 L 18 OT/SO L for 59 games over 500

I would think we have to almost win the next 4 more in a row just to tread water over the next 11 games.

Maybe 2-1-1 over the next 4
And maybe if we are lucky 2-3-2 in those 7
4-4-3 over all and we are still just at .500 with a bunch of ground to make up and teams to pass. Crazy tough but it has been an amazing little run here- fun.

You must not have heard Bruce's philosophy. Win 2/3 games every week and we're in. This 7 in a row is a boost. I think our defence is suspect as hell but if you make the show, anything can happen.

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Bruce is 7-0 and the Canucks keep winning even without Boeser yet you still talk about treading water? cmon you naysayers always like to spoil the party. What makes you think Canucks cant beat those teams when they have beaten Bruins, Hurricanes and Ducks? Maybe relax and see how this team is playing. If we win the next 4, that means going 11-0 under Bruce and that means we wont be treading water but we would be spitting fire like a jet engine.

Love the optimism. But I am not sure where you get "cmon, YOU naysayers like to spoil the party," bit. I am enjoying this run and resurgence. I want to see some optimism when the wheels are not rolling as freely against the top teams, when we inevitably come back to earth. Will JT, BO, Petey, Boes keep playing with smiles and laughter after they are reminded that there are teams out there we are still miles away from? Does that mean we fail without confidence against the teams we have to beat at the end of the month?

My point is clearly suggesting, we will have to be 4-0 or 3-1 in the next 4 to have a chance to be over 500 over the next 11 games. So make hay and keep it going now... or things will get harder to keep playing at this level of confidence.

If we can be better than that (even 2 games over 500) over this 11 game span, we then get to play a bunch of the teams we need to catch in the next handful of games. Go on another run and anything is possible. But thinking we are going to keep winning at this pace against a run of games against those 6 teams would be silly. If it happens, let's party, but this stretch will tell us so much.

Last edited:
Reactions: bh53 and Indiana

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I see what you did there.

L59GIJ9.gif
200.gif

Reactions: Indiana

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
You must not have heard Bruce's philosophy. Win 2/3 games every week and we're in. This 7 in a row is a boost. I think our defence is suspect as hell but if you make the show, anything can happen.

Love the idea of win 2/3 each week. Much easier to do when you believe, and he has them believing right now. If they fail for those two weeks to reach that goal, how will the players react to the next series of games? So my point is, get after these next 4 games and hang on through that stretch; and see if we can get to the end of Jan with his numbers where they need to be. Going to be a challenge and need to bank some games in the next 4 (and not look back at the last 10) if we have a chance to be looking forward with hope at the end of this stretch

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Happy holidays everyone, we’ve all endured so much we deserve a drop of happiness!!! And it feels GOOD. Officially the hottest team in the league (along with Pittsburgh)

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
snooze fest game after a 2 week break. but the boys did it without demko saving their bacon. garland and horvat glorious chances to get the lead but john gibson was solid. give him some props. 7 in a row. keep it rolling baby!

John Gibson is the only reason the Ducks were even in this game - fantastic goalies. Hes top 5 in my books along with Vasi, Helle, Demko, Markstrom and Campbell.

Reactions: David71

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Love the optimism. But I am not sure where you get "cmon, YOU naysayers like to spoil the party," bit. I am enjoying this run and resurgence. I want to see some optimism when the wheels are not rolling as freely against the top teams, when we inevitably come back to earth. Will JT, BO, Petey, Boes keep playing with smiles and laughter after they are reminded that there are teams out there we are still miles away from? Does that mean we fail without confidence against the teams we have to beat at the end of the month?

My point is clearly suggesting, we will have to be 4-0 or 3-1 in the next 4 to have a chance to be over 500 over the next 11 games. So make hay and keep it going now... or things will get harder to keep playing at this level of confidence.

If we can be better than that (even 2 games over 500) over this 11 game span, we then get to play a bunch of the teams we need to catch in the next handful of games. Go on another run and anything is possible. But thinking we are going to keep winning at this pace against a run of games against those 6 teams would be silly. If it happens, let's party, but this stretch will tell us so much.

I think people are forgetring that we severely underachieved when Green was the coach. Bruce has completely changed the game plan, the game style and their whole mind set. When I see this team play its completely night and day and that is because the team is playing up to its full potential. We also changed this team a lot in the off season adding Garland, Podkolzin, OEL, Dickenson, Poolman, Schenn etc. This team is not only changed in terms of becoming a deeper team but also now has a different management and coach. You just dont understand how drastic those changes are and thats why I completely erase whatever garbage was Green coaching and how the team played early in the season. Also as the season goes on, the new players will also develop more chemistry with their linemates. Another reason for optimism is because Bruce has the track record to drastically improve struggling teams once he takes over. So people need to stop this nonsense of comparing this team now with the team that was playing under Green.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Our defense is playing without Hamonic while Schenn got 21 minutes against Ducks and looked good. Maybe Bruce makes mediocre players look like superstars somehow. I bet I could log 20 minutes of NHL level hockey under Bruce eventhough I dont know how to skate on ice. He seems to be that good.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013

A little fun:

If any of you don't not know Scott Grimes, it's time you do. The voice of Steve Smith from American Dad, (way to go Seth) and a bandmember of my fav, Great Big Sea. Russel Crow got this together during Robin Hood, and good on him.
I hope you watch all enjoy his stuff and appreciate his talent.
Now, go Nucks go!!! Eight is Great!

Wolverine approves...
I play a poop load of instuments myself... huge nod.. lol
thats my boy

Last edited:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
We're playing the Kings tomorrow who are without Edler and Maatta. That means a top 4 of:

Anderson-Doughty
Bjornfot-Roy

No way a forward group such as ours loses to a team like that even on a back-to-back. Kings lost to a garbage VGK (without Pietrangelo, Stone, Martinez, Dadonov).

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010
Great team won. Not so great to hear complaining on game thread for team on 7 game win streak. Funny thing is people complain we traded our last 2 firsts then praise Miller, Garland. Do we understand this team's heart and soul comes from those two? Without them there would be no hope of this team being good. Let's be happy we have them while we do. Next trade deadline we will see where we are at. Miller remind me of Wheeler with Winnepeg. The Jets had alot of good years with him leading them. Miller without a doubt is this teams leader.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Bro I'm stoked and absolutely agree Miller should be a lock as a core player at this point. But FORMATTING damn

Miller is the engine that moves this team yes others help but he is that guy give him something to work with

lawrence

May 19, 2012
We're playing the Kings tomorrow who are without Edler and Maatta. That means a top 4 of:

Anderson-Doughty
Bjornfot-Roy

No way a forward group such as ours loses to a team like that even on a back-to-back. Kings lost to a garbage VGK (without Pietrangelo, Stone, Martinez, Dadonov).

never under estimate anyone. I recall our team the last 7 years struggle against piss bad teams.

Reactions: Get North

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Every player should be tradable. But the return needs to be there. And the time to trade a player is when they are playing well.

That said, we also need to be cap aware. We are going to have a large amount of money tied up in our core.

So ride this fantastic wave, and lets see where we stand in a month.

But as I said already, one needs to be aware of the cap. Next year is BB. Might be expensive. (Also Dipietro is in the mix) The real issue is the year after.

23 - 24 Need to sign UFA's Miller Horvat. And RFA Hoglander. those 3 are going to take serious money. Or we cash them in.
24 - 25 Podkolzin is going to need a raise. Need to decide if we want Myers back. Oh and we are down to 10 players under contract, who use up $47.7 M of a $81.5 M cap. And if Miller Horvat and Hoglander sign for $6M each, we have $16M left to sign some random 13 players to contracts. (Thats without signing BB!)

I sure hope we have better management than the turkeys who got fired, cuz this is going to be a challenge.

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Cant find a Boudreau post game anywhere. Wonder what happened with that.

Man... Green had 8 wins in 25 games...Bruce has almost matched that in 7 games. Just one more to go!

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver
2 bad seasons, and maybe not, but you're arguing against trading players without bad seasons, that are prime ages and cost less. It at least needs to be in the discussion.
These are the same ppl that would have traded Mackinnon early in his career LOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad