Post-Game Talk: 7 in a row! Canucks def. Ducks - 2-1 (OT) (Pearson, Miller)

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Petey is not going to get traded because of 1 bad season lol. Yall need to give your heads a shake. There will be a roster shake up I agree, but it won't be Petey.
2 bad seasons, and maybe not, but you're arguing against trading players without bad seasons, that are prime ages and cost less. It at least needs to be in the discussion.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2018
Man did Horvat and Garland have so many chances to win this in regulation. I’m hoping we ride Demko after having 2 weeks off until we lose. Something special is happening here with arguably our best player not even playing a major part. Exciting times to be a fan.

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Gutted it out. At times it looked like pre-season with all the missed passes and flubbed chances and certainly no classic. However, thought the Canucks were the better team and had to overcome some sketchy play by the AHLers on the team. Loss of Fowler could be huge for Ducks and big help to teams chasing them.

Good

Demko - another solid game wonder if they use back to back.

Hughes - playing with so much more maturity. Only taking what they give him which is so much different than last season

OEL - thought he moved puck up from the back well and smart play away from the puck. Good job around the front of his net.

Schenn - another who played well around his crease and was good on the PK

Garland - could criticize his finish but he was creating chance after chance.

Pearson - crucial goal and crucial defensive play in OT. Another good two way effort.

Not so Good

Dowling - never got in the play all game. Just baggage. Has looked very weak since his injury.

Poolman - can't get the puck out of his zone. Chasing the play. Can't play a pinching system with him. Can't get on the man fast enough a or get back fast enough. Looking like another very poor FA pick up by Benning

Dickson - looked frankly terrible on the PK which I thought was what he was brought into help. His clearances are pathetic being little more than passes to the other team's point. Also thought he was weak along the boards. Showed hustle at times but does nothing with the puck.

Others

Miller - OK he won the game and did get better as the game went on. However, he was real poor for two periods with brain dead passing and awful turnovers in his zone. Always seems to come off any break poorly

Horvat - another who was slow and sluggish for two periods and screwed up some excellent set ups but got better late in the game. Like Miller loses his edge skating wise with any lay off. Should have scored in this game

Hoglander - real strong start and created some turnovers in the first. Was a little in and out of the play as the game went on. Podkolzin was sort of the opposite. Not so strong start but better late.

Myers - ok but got to looking clumsy at times and forced into turnovers. Fall off from play before the break

Pettersson - trying but back to being hesitant and too slow to take advantages of situations. Is not playing well off the puck and lacks anticipation. Seems to be floating around and then surprised when the chances come. Giving an effort defensively but team was often in trouble in their end when he was out. Still think we are waiting to see this player get his head fully into the game.

Game like this exposes the lack of depth on the team. Any injuries and we have to go with players who are really not NHL players. If the team had retained some of those second and third rounders or done better in using impending free agents to pick up drafts or good depth pieces the team would be a much stronger position. Spilt milk under the bridge but still a pity.

Miller:

2 points in a 2-1 game
Gets the OT goal which is the game winning goal
Has the highest FO%

How is he just OK or criticize his game? He is an offensive player and our top point getter and plays PP, PK, 5 on 5 and has the best FO% on the team and a leader. People bash him or still want to trade him is just as ridiculous as how they wanted Tanev gone. Just plain stupid to get rid of him when we dont have anyone that could replace him. Miller played great for us and we won because he knows how to score clutch goals.

Feb 19, 2018
Miller:

2 points in a 2-1 game
Has the highest FO%

How is he just OK or criticize his game? He is an offensive player and our top point getter and plays PP, PK, 5 on 5 and has the best FO% on the team and a leader. People bash him or still want to trade him is just as ridiculous as how they wanted Tanev gone. Just plain stupid to get rid of him when we dont have anyone that could replace him. Miller played great for us and we won because he knows how to score clutch goals.
Man I miss Tanev. We would be a much better team with him still here.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
Miller:

2 points in a 2-1 game
Has the highest FO%

Okay, fair. But do you sign him to a 7 year / 9mil deal? I’m just saying, it isn’t unpalatable that he’ll ask for that. If the answer is no we should be exploring our options.

Reactions: Indiana

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Okay, fair. But do you sign him to a 7 year / 9mil deal? I’m just saying, it isn’t unpalatable that he’ll ask for that. If the answer is no we should be exploring our options.
He wont get 10 million but I mean he is part of our core and more than a complimentary player at this stage. Heck he has been more important than Horvat this season.

Reactions: pomorick

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
9-1 in the past 10 and the team is still .500 with quite a few games and points behind a playoff spot.

Goes to show how deep of a hole the previous administration dug. But it's good to see the boys stick to a structure even when they struggle to keep up.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
He wont get 10 million but I mean he is part of our core and more than a complimentary player at this stage. Heck he has been more important than Horvat this season.

Who’s a comparable? Zibanejad got 8.5mil, same draft class, I could see that being used. Maybe we get him at some discount for 7.5mil or so, but the fact remains.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but he’s 30 when his contract is up. Do you commit to him long term? Or just keep him this season and next and let him walk? Or trade him in the off-season for a younger cost controlled piece?

Indiana

Mar 17, 2008
Canada
FH1ZVFYWUAM0_vr
groovy-evil.gif

I see what you did there.

L59GIJ9.gif

Reactions: Ozone

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
snooze fest game after a 2 week break. but the boys did it without demko saving their bacon. garland and horvat glorious chances to get the lead but john gibson was solid. give him some props. 7 in a row. keep it rolling baby!

Reactions: DFAC and bh53

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Who’s a comparable? Zibanejad got 8.5mil, same draft class, I could see that being used. Maybe we get him at some discount for 7.5mil or so, but the fact remains.

I’m not saying you’re wrong, but he’s 30 when his contract is up. Do you commit to him long term? Or just keep him this season and next and let him walk? Or trade him in the off-season for a younger cost controlled piece?
If we keep getting rid of players who hit 30, then we would be left with nothing in a couple of years. Same mistake that happened when we didnt sign Tanev. Now look who is replacing Tanev? Schenn and a half absent Hamonic. Who is there in the pipeline that can play Miller's game? Its easy to trade Miller but my qyeation is who will replace his spot on the team? It just seems Canucks would be sort of a farm team for otger teams where players come here to improve their game and then either be traded or not signed. Happened with Toffoli, Markstrom, McCann etc. We can make room for Miller is we aspire to become a contender soon. The only way you trade Miller is to get another center of the same potential back and a defensive RHD. Still it will be hard to fill Miller's spot since we lack prospects and good draft picks now thanks to Benning who traded lots of prospects and picks for quick fixes.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
So during this winning streak I find myself with this knee-jerk pessimism when they have a flat period or something and I think they're going to collapse like we've seen them do so many times in the last 8 years. Then they turn it around and win and I keep realizing - oh yeah, I can be happy again!

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
If JT Miller doesn't fit the teams "plan", then neither does Garland or Demko. If they don't fit, then don't expect Huggy to stick around. We are tracking well out of lottery territory, and hold only assets that will return late picks from top teams. Thus, we would be cheering for a team of not yet draft eligible players, and maybe Podz? **** that.

JTM for governor!

bobbyb2009

Sep 3, 2009
Next 4 games:
LA, Seattle, NYI, Ottawa

And then it gets really tough:
7 games against
Florida, Tampa, Carolina, Washington, Nashville, Florida, St Louis
Yikes, as these 6 teams are a combined 98 W 39 L 18 OT/SO L for 59 games over 500

I would think we have to almost win the next 4 more in a row just to tread water over the next 11 games.

Maybe 2-1-1 over the next 4
And maybe if we are lucky 2-3-2 in those 7
4-4-3 over all and we are still just at .500 with a bunch of ground to make up and teams to pass. Crazy tough but it has been an amazing little run here- fun.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad