7 game series divisional all stars

Which divisional all star team would win in a 7 game series of "real" hockey

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
My last poll was a little ambiguous and the North won for the clown show that has come to be known as the all star game.

This time, I'd like your opinions about a 7 game series of "real" hockey. Pretend something is on the line and all divisions hate each other.

Which division yields the winning team?

Habano

May 18, 2012
North would lay waste to other divisions in an all star series.
I'm not sure. Although we have the deepest forward core, I don't think we measure up to the other divisions on defence.

As far as goaltending, I think we're weaker although Campbell is making a case for himself and, we have last year's Vezina winner in Hellebuyck. Smith has also been solid since he came back from injury.

I just think it would be a lot closer than people think.

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
The forwards in the North would quite easily be the best but their defense probably the weakest. Nurse and Petry are having big years but there is a bit of a drop after them. Goalie would be 2nd only to the central.

I was initially thinking the west's Allstar team would be the best but a lot of the teams don't have a ton of star power- Coyotes, Minnesota, St.Louis, LA, San Jose obviously they have good players but they aren't contributing as much game breaking talent like North and the East have.

Reactions: Habano

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
It would be a lot of work to put out a well thought and considered opinion.

That being said the forward group the North can put together is disgusting. JT is forced to wing (although Matthews on McD's wing would be tempting) and EP may not even make the team.

The back end is not so nice. Serviceable but not a strength.

Goal is great Helly + Markstrom? No worries there.

I'd have to look at other teams but team North would score, would it be enough to make up for weaker D?

Another hole is lack of playoff success, the North doesnt have many rings that would actually make the team.

Weber for Captain?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
The forwards in the North would quite easily be the best but their defense probably the weakest. Nurse and Petry are having big years but there is a bit of a drop after them. Goalie would be 2nd only to the central.

I was initially thinking the west's Allstar team would be the best but a lot of the teams don't have a ton of star power- Coyotes, Minnesota, St.Louis, LA, San Jose obviously they have good players but they aren't contributing as much game breaking talent like North and the East have.
Rielly, Chabot, Hughes, then Pionk/Brodie/maybe someone from Calgary to round out the defence? Would be wild to watch. Lots of offense from the back end.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
The North should have an inherent disadvantage here, since they would chose from a smaller pool of players. Then again, there is some serious offensive power there. But the best team? I doubt it. There is more to a team than shiny offensive numbers. For instance, I think the line of Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron would easily win the head-to-head matchups against any top line that the north puts together. And right there, the biggest advantage of the north is neutralised.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
My stab at North team here.

M. Tkachuk - McDavid - Marner
Connor - Matthews - Draisaitl
Tavares - Schiefele - Wheeler
B.Tkachuk - Pettersson - Boeser

Chabot - Petry
Quinn - Giordano
Rielly - Schmidt
Nurse

Hellebuyk
Demko

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
The North should have an inherent disadvantage here, since they would chose from a smaller pool of players. Then again, there is some serious offensive power there. But the best team? I doubt it. There is more to a team than shiny offensive numbers. For instance, I think the line of Marchand-Crosby-Bergeron would easily win the head-to-head matchups against any top line that the north puts together. And right there, the biggest advantage of the north is neutralised.
Agree with this, I took a stab at a North vs. East (tried my best given the speed I tried to do it in), and also assumed some injured guys would be eligible (since this is all fantasy anyways).

East North
OvechkinCrosbyPanarin DraisaitlMcDavidBoeser
MarchandBergeronPastrnak PetterssonMatthewsMarner
MalkinCouturierBarzal ConnorScheifeleEhlers
EichelBackstromGiroux TkachukTavaresNylander
ProvorovCarlson RiellyPetry
FoxMcavoy NurseBrodie
PulockLetang HughesWeber
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Top lines match up fairly well, but then I think that lines 2-4 are all in the Easts favor.

Habano

May 18, 2012
My stab at North team here.

M. Tkachuk - McDavid - Marner
Connor - Matthews - Draisaitl
Tavares - Schiefele - Wheeler
B.Tkachuk - Pettersson - Boeser

Chabot - Petry
Quinn - Giordano
Rielly - Schmidt
Nurse

Hellebuyk
Demko
Interesting. No room for Tavares at Center so you have him on the wing. You also have to slot Ehlers in the group, top six for sure. There is no way I would leave him off my team.

Habano

May 18, 2012
It would be a lot of work to put out a well thought and considered opinion.

That being said the forward group the North can put together is disgusting. JT is forced to wing (although Matthews on McD's wing would be tempting) and EP may not even make the team.

The back end is not so nice. Serviceable but not a strength.

Goal is great Helly + Markstrom? No worries there.

I'd have to look at other teams but team North would score, would it be enough to make up for weaker D?

Another hole is lack of playoff success, the North doesnt have many rings that would actually make the team.

Weber for Captain?
Dude, I'm a Hab fan and yes Weber brings a lot of leadership with him. That said, you'd have to pair him with a really good skating puck moving defenseman or else he'd be outmatched out there. He was very good at one time but he has slowed down a lot. It's a shame but I don't think I'd be able to find room for him on my team.

Last edited:

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
The North could put some combination of Hellebuyck/Price/Demko/Markstrom in net and as long as they keep the goals low enough, the offensive firepower should be able to score sufficient goals to cover up the weaker defence.

Habano

May 18, 2012
The North could put some combination of Hellebuyck/Price/Demko/Markstrom in net and as long as they keep the goals low enough, the offensive firepower should be able to score sufficient goals to cover up the weaker defence.
Don't forget Campbell. I know it's a small sample size but the guy has been tremendous.

Reactions: BTP

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Dude, I'm a Hab fan and yes Weber brings a lot of leadership with him. That said, you'd have to pair him with a really good skating puck moving defenseman or else he'd be outmatched out there. He was very good at one time but he has slowed down tremendously. It's a shame but I don't think I'd have him on the team.
I was just throwing that out there. He's the most obvious Captain but isn't a lock in the top 6. Petry is the guy who actually makes my Team North, ironically he might be paired with Rielly.

Who is team North's D?

Petry
Rielly
Hughes
Poink
Chabot
Nurse

Morrisey, Muzzin, Barrie, Weber

To me that 7 spot goes to either Muzzin or Barrie depending on the coach's plan. Offense vs physicality but he may want Weber/Morrisey/or others depending on chemistry, style and coaching strategy.

I'm sure I'm overlooking some good candidates so I apologize in advance if I missed your boy. This is off the top of my head.

edit: Just noticed how LHD heavy that group is. Helps both Barrie and Weber's cases.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Agree with this, I took a stab at a North vs. East (tried my best given the speed I tried to do it in), and also assumed some injured guys would be eligible (since this is all fantasy anyways).

EastNorth
OvechkinCrosbyPanarinDraisaitlMcDavidBoeser
MarchandBergeronPastrnakPetterssonMatthewsMarner
MalkinCouturierBarzalConnorScheifeleEhlers
EichelBackstromGirouxTkachukTavaresNylander
ProvorovCarlsonRiellyPetry
FoxMcavoyNurseBrodie
PulockLetangHughesWeber
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Top lines match up fairly well, but then I think that lines 2-4 are all in the Easts favor.

Can't believe you left Chabot off the North D. He is the best all-around D in the North (IMO).

The forwards in the East are experienced and accomplished, but somewhat slow and long in the tooth.

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Can't believe you left Chabot off the North D. He is the best all-around D in the North (IMO).

The forwards in the East are experienced and accomplished, but somewhat slow and long in the tooth.
Good catch on Chabot, I honestly thought about their team and just couldn't think of anyone LOL.

And yes, there are some slower players on the East, but it doesn't make them any less effective.

Ovechkin - slow, but a better goalscorer than anyone not named Matthews in the North
Backstrom/Couturier/Bergeron - slower guys, but better defensively than pretty much anyone in the Norths roster, while also being good enough offensively to make the North on offense alone
Panarin/Eichel/Barzal/Marchand - Equal/better skater than any forward in the North not named McDavid

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Gotta see what the other teams look like. The North has the highest offensive upside forsure however.

BTP

Apr 28, 2013
North forwards are stacked

Hyman - Mcdavid - Marner
M. Tkachuck - Matthews - Draisaitl
Connor - Pettersen - Ehlers
Gallagher - Schiefele - Nylander

Rielly - Nurse
Huges - Brodie
Petrey - Weber

Hellebuyuk
Price