GDT: #7: FLYERS 3 at Blue Jackets 6, Thursday, Oct. 18, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
If they stop forcing low percentage plays, play a disciplined style, & get better goaltending they’ll be fine.

I’m most worried about the goaltending. I think they’ll cut down on forcing low percentage plays. If they don’t, then they need to bring in a coach who will make them.

And if the players dont trust the goaltending then it changes how they play. They will play scared to make a mistake. No coach can succeed when the goaltending cant keep the puck out of the net.
I still think Hakstol is a poor coach, but if the goaltending isnt fixed it really doesn’t matter who is behind the bench

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
2020-21 is the year this team should be dominating the NHL, deep from top to bottom with Hart ready to carry the load.

I mean I'm sorry, I'm not trying to pile on, but this is just a silly statement. They could just as easily be as mediocre or worse than they are now, even if half the young players we all love pan out as hoped.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Even if that was true (it isn't), it wouldn't force him to over-use the trash so bad and under-use the young guys.

He chooses to use MacDonald and Hagg because he loves them.

Oh, I meant sarcasm, dude. Every coach has a say in who does and doesn't make the roster. There's zero way that Haktard Jim Dufus (DERRRRRRRRPPPP) would have ever taken the job if he didn't have a say.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Oh, I meant sarcasm, dude. Every coach has a say in who does and doesn't make the roster. There's zero way that Haktard Jim Dufus (DERRRRRRRRPPPP) would have ever taken the job if he didn't have a say.

Who do you think makes the final decision after taking input?

Mike1167

Jun 25, 2018
Erie, Pennsylvania
I've never understood this sort of analysis. The game still happened.

I've never understood this sort of analysis. The game still happened.

Seriously? Wow, I don't understand YOUR analysis. It's SO simple. Voracek's had one REALLY good game that inflated his stats. Otherwise, he's been average or below so far this season.

Reactions: hatcher

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Seriously? Wow, I don't understand YOUR analysis. It's SO simple. Voracek's had one REALLY good game that inflated his stats. Otherwise, he's been average or below so far this season.

Alright man, keep cherrypicking. It's like the Couturier doubters who insisted on disqualifying random games to help their argument, or the Carter bashers who tried to ignore various goals.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The weird thing here is the Orwellian doublespeak where criticizing a hive favorite or thinking that rushing a prospect becomes "defending Hakstol."
This is really bizarre, like there's a party line and one must abide by it.

I think some of you are truly obsessed, intellectual OCD?

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
JavFXCb.gif

Reactions: Garbage Goal

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Watching the game and I've managed to get through the first period. Saw some good things, a few bad things and Ghost on the PK.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
20-21 is what 8 years since Hextall took over. That’s a ****ing joke. Purgatory. If it takes Hexy that long to build a team we acquired the wrong GM.

He's already made the playoffs twice during the rebuild, so he speeds it up and got to the second round, would that satisfy you?
Some of us are more interested in competing for a Cup than winning a playoff series.
A lot of teams rebuild, have one or two playoff runs, then back to mediocrity - that's what happens when you go for a quick fix and crap happens.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Next time when you use quotes in reference to something I said, actually quote what I said. It makes you look bad and takes away your credibility otherwise.

Wtf are you talking about? This is your exact quote,

“Right now the top players aren’t playing to win. They’re playing for personal stats.”

You clearly say they aren’t “playing to win” and that is incredibly disrespectful and straight up wrong. The only one looking bad here is you.

Reactions: Striiker

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
He's already made the playoffs twice during the rebuild, so he speeds it up and got to the second round, would that satisfy you?
Some of us are more interested in competing for a Cup than winning a playoff series.
A lot of teams rebuild, have one or two playoff runs, then back to mediocrity - that's what happens when you go for a quick fix and crap happens.

Who are these 'teams'?

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013

I don't think Hextall would have to sell the farm for this to happen, I think he could move a few pieces around and potentially have a lot better of a team. I wish more GMs would do memoirs so we could here about what went down during the seasons they had. He needed to improve the goalie situation but didn't. He didn't do anything with the coaching stat after extremely poor PK results. He still has MacDonald playing in a top 4 role which is just bad.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Who do you think makes the final decision after taking input?

You've said on numerous occasions that Hakstol has zero say on who does and doesn't make the roster. I've said that's a load of crap and that he has a big say. He's responsible for assessing the players that fit what he's trying to accomplish on the ice. Hextall gets him the players and if Haktard feels guys aren't ready, Hextall sends them to the AHL or they go back to junior. Don't act like a moron and pretend he doesn't have say.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You've said on numerous occasions that Hakstol has zero say on who does and doesn't make the roster. I've said that's a load of crap and that he has a big say. He's responsible for assessing the players that fit what he's trying to accomplish on the ice. Hextall gets him the players and if Haktard feels guys aren't ready, Hextall sends them to the AHL or they go back to junior. Don't act like a moron and pretend he doesn't have say.

He has to pretend Hakstol has no control over anything because it's the only way to continue believing Hak is flawless.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

No, I've said Hextall controls this team, that's pretty obvious.
Of course Hakstol has input, they probably talk every day. He has say, just zero control.
That is, he can tell Hextall why he doesn't think a player belongs, or what he'd like added, he just can't make it so.

Hextall hired Hakstol to install a certain philosophy and develop the young players he's acquired.
But Hextall is a strong GM with a coach with no leverage.
We're not talking Trotz coming off a Cup or Lavi in Nashville, coaches with leverage who have to be promised real power over their programs to get them to sign. In those cases, GMs will be far more deferential.

Every player that this board has declared a Hakstol "favorite" has been gone within a year or two of that label being applied.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad