GDT: #7 | Edmonton Oilers @ New York Islanders | Oct 17th | 7PM | F/W 3-2

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
image_zps6c1c64d2.jpg

Not a bad view for $13.50..

Bailey, Frans and Grabner have looked really damn good since the start of the season and tonight it continued. Grabner and Bailey are playing physical multiple times, especially bailey, they were laying down solid hits.

Hickey, Moulson and Bouchard play soft but we all know that.

I'm really loving the energy the fourth line brings right after the Isles score I'm very happy Capuano throws them out after every goal.

The penalty kill was great tonight love seeing grabs and Frans out there I'm very confident with that pair out there.

I miss that building. For the price can't go wrong.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Bailey, Frans and Grabner have looked really damn good since the start of the season and tonight it continued. Grabner and Bailey are playing physical multiple times, especially bailey, they were laying down solid hits.

When that was a line (the first four games, before the shakeup) it was easily the teams best line, shutting down the other teams top lines and scoring 15 of the Islanders first 30 points, it may have been the NHL's best all around line. It was the one line that should not have been touched... of course cappy messes with it in an attempt to first get Moulson going (didn't work) and now using it to try and get PMB going (that wont work either).

Free Brook and re-unite Grabner-Nielsen-Bailey

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
So, to sum up this thread:

Okposo, Tavares, Bailey, Donovan, Hamonic, and the energy unit were good.

MacDonald. Moulson, & Nabby were the bad.

I concur. One thing I would say though is that vs. the rest of the league I doubt they win this one. They still look disorganized.

I thought about the dump and chase approach and why they cling to that instead of stringing a bunch of passes into the offensive zone... You have to wonder if the home ice surface is so bad that they figure with 41 games on that crap they can't effectively rely on lot's of puck movement and collection. The odds are too great that many passes wind up in a turnover because of the bouncing puck. That ice is putrid in fact. It is a wonder the league doesn't fine them for its normal condition.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
I agree with your assessment of Donovan. He had one little faux pas in the form of a weak clear in the 1st, but other than that, he was very strong the entire game.

I'm really enjoyed watching him play tonight he looked confident in both zones and I really like his instincts with the puck.

225 Row A? That's where I sat for Tuesday's game. Great seats!

Haha yeah seats 1 and 2 awesome view of everything.

scott99

May 13, 2005
He is a 20 year old kid, he has some maturing to do, but that certainly doesn't mean you cant win with him. Sure he may not be a franchise player, but he can definitely be a 40/40 guy in the future.
A 40/40 guy IS a franchise player. You just don't give up on such a talented stud like Yakupov. Unless you get something back that is special, you don't do it. Look at Bailey, a decent amount of us were ready to trade him a few years ago. Now he's playing with so much confidence, he knows he can succeed in this league. A lot of the time it's just all about confidence. Let Yak score some goals, and his confidence will shoot through the roof.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Overall a solid performance, need to build off this. Clearing the puck is definitely their weakest area. Nabokov gave up a huge rebound on the 2nd goal, that can't happen on a soft shot like that. Didn't like what I saw from PMB, Nelson needs to be in there.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
So, to sum up this thread:

Okposo, Tavares, Bailey, Donovan, Hamonic, and the energy unit were good.

MacDonald. Moulson, & Nabby were the bad.

I concur. One thing I would say though is that vs. the rest of the league I doubt they win this one. They still look disorganized.

I thought about the dump and chase approach and why they cling to that instead of stringing a bunch of passes into the offensive zone... You have to wonder if the home ice surface is so bad that they figure with 41 games on that crap they can't effectively rely on lot's of puck movement and collection. The odds are too great that many passes wind up in a turnover because of the bouncing puck. That ice is putrid in fact. It is a wonder the league doesn't fine them for its normal condition.

Amac's clearing has been awful, Idk why he's getting 26 minutes of ice time, 4 minutes more than Hamonic and Visnovsky.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Amac's clearing has been awful, Idk why he's getting 26 minutes of ice time, 4 minutes more than Hamonic and Visnovsky.

I feel bad constantly ripping AMAC every night because he isn't a terrible hockey player. It's just that he isn't a particularly good one either and is vastly overused and miscast. He is exploited on a nightly basis. He can't handle the others teams best players, that's not his fault, he is marched out there, just because at this point. He's a fine Penalty killer and I'm okay with him being on PK1, but his even strength ice time is out of control and he should NEVER, EVER see powerplay time EVER in the NHL...EVER EVER EVER.

Yes I know AMAC gets the tougher assignments but this is a drastic disparity...

AMAC Even Strength Minutes 145 Even Strength Goals Scored against 8

Visnovsky Even Strength Minutes 127 Even Strength goals scored against ONE (Hickey is nearly as good)

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
I feel bad constantly ripping AMAC every night because he isn't a terrible hockey player. It's just that he isn't a particularly good one either and is vastly overused and miscast. He is exploited on a nightly basis. He can't handle the others teams best players, that's not his fault, he is marched out there, just because at this point. He's a fine Penalty killer and I'm okay with him being on PK1, but his even strength ice time is out of control and he should NEVER, EVER see powerplay time EVER in the NHL...EVER EVER EVER.

Visnovsky Even Strength Minutes 127 Even Strength goals scored against ONE (Hickey is nearly as good)

Exactly, I think he's a solid top 4 dman, but Capuano is using him as a #1 and he isn't. Hamonic needs a better partner. I thought Hamonic had a very solid game, and he was out there for both goals against, which wasn't his fault. First goal, terrible clearing by Amac and then Hamonic had to pickup Amac's guy in front of the net, which led Hall wide open. The 2nd goal was just Nabby's terrible rebound control.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Real nice to get the win. For the most part, the boys looked pretty good tonight. KO is forechecking like a bull - a dmans nightmare. I know I'm in the minority, but I love seeing him on the top line when he's playing like he has these past few games.
Also Bailey is lookin real good. So slick.
Hopefully they can keep it going.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Exactly, I think he's a solid top 4 dman, but Capuano is using him as a #1 and he isn't. Hamonic needs a better partner. I thought Hamonic had a very solid game, and he was out there for both goals against, which wasn't his fault. First goal, terrible clearing by Amac and then Hamonic had to pickup Amac's guy in front of the net, which led Hall wide open. The 2nd goal was just Nabby's terrible rebound control.
Donovan just may win that job by the end of his rookie season.... if he is allowed to.
I'd call him a #4, and have this entire time. You gentlemen hit the problem on the head though. Part of it is lack of other choices at the moment, and the other part of the problem is coach Bean Pot.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011

Honestly, watching him makes me wanna break stuff. Poops his pants every time he gets the puck in his end. Cannot make a play to get it out if his life depended on it. I don't think he completed 1 pass tonight.

And you know Cappy is gonna keep playing him like crazy lol makes things waaayy worse

So far, the play of Amac and our moody PP just make me shake my head. Don't get me wrong, I love watching this team but man...they can really get the blood boiling

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
Nice to see a win at the barn tonight. I thought Okposo played really well tonight, JT was his amazing self, and Bailey's moves were sick. Also, thanks to Stubhub I had the best seats I've ever had for a game and for a reasonable price.

Also, if any of the guys who were watching the Rangers fan get arrested after the game (yes a Rangers fan at an Oilers/Isles game) are on HFBoards, it was nice talking to ya!

Mustang2750*

I just want to say that the booing of Smyth was beyond stupid. And that being the case, it was most assuredly instigated by those mental midgets up in Loudsville. Those guys are beyond annoying.

He left the Islanders to sign for less money somewhere else.

Perfect reason to boo someone. Isles fans on this board suck :help:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
He left the Islanders to sign for less money somewhere else.

Perfect reason to boo someone. Isles fans on this board suck :help:

He left the club because it sucked and had no future at the time. I have a hard time holding that against him.

Does it even matter though? So he left - big deal. Our team's owner can't even be bothered to pay for a real coach, a real goaltender, or a real wing for Tavares. All of that makes me forget whatever slight I felt over Ryan's departure.

BTW - Here is a must read for Isles fans. It is a thread showing the angst of Oiler fans.

Same ****. Different day. Oilers lose 3-2

I didn't throw this up there for gloating or trolling so please be kind. We share some similar problems so I found this cathartic. Misery loves company I suppose.

Last edited:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
In hindsight, the crybaby did us a FAVOR by not signing here. Not only would that contract have hurt us..... but the rebuild wouldn't have started when it did, and we wouldn't have Tavares to show for it.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island
I was gonna spend $6 to go but I brought my lady so "splurged" for the $13 seats :laugh:

And I caught my first t shirt so there's that to go with the 2 points.

i thought it was a mistake when i saw how cheap the tickets were. I dont think ive ever got seats that good before

deff going to at least 10 games this year

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
A 40/40 guy IS a franchise player. You just don't give up on such a talented stud like Yakupov. Unless you get something back that is special, you don't do it. Look at Bailey, a decent amount of us were ready to trade him a few years ago. Now he's playing with so much confidence, he knows he can succeed in this league. A lot of the time it's just all about confidence. Let Yak score some goals, and his confidence will shoot through the roof.

I disagree. Do you consider Kessel a franchise player? He is a great forward, but I wouldn't want to build a team around him. To me a franchise player is someone you can build a team around and can carry a team deep into the playoffs. I think there are maybe 10-20 players out there I consider franchise players.

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
the stubhub prices are depressing, but i've been trekking out to the old barn way more than usual because of them.

I'm taking advantage of them while we still can.. I've got one of those stubhub rewards today so I get $10 off next order. Saturdays prices are starting around $8 looks like I'm going for free!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Caught a bit of the game tonight -- you guys should thank me. It was 2-1 Edmonton when I tuned in and saw both Isles' goals in the 2nd to go ahead 3-2 -- and I have to say the Isles just looked like a much more cohesive unit. Everything, from positional play, to puck support, to gaps between the defense and forwards, were in the Isles' favor.

Edmonton looks very, very disorganized. They look like a team that, when the puck is bouncing for them, and the highlight reel goals are available, they can blow teams out of the water. But if the other team is playing any semblance of defense, they simply cannot generate many scoring opportunities that require crashing, banging, or mucking around the crease.

Nice to see Bailey playing with confidence. I've been a big proponent (and defender) of his during his struggles, so it's nice to see he's turning into a pretty effective player at both ends of the rink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad