6th overall 2014 vs 10th overall 2013

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006
With the Canucks taking Jake Virtanen with the 6th overall I can't help but see the similarities between him and Valeri Nichushkin. Both big guys with skating ability who can shoot. That's the poll in a vacuum.

But it also gets me thinking about the possibilities. Considering we took a player comparable to Horvat in McCann with our second 1st round pick this year in hindsight would Nichushkin, Ehlers/Nylander, McCann have been a better use of picks vs Horvat, Virtanen, McCann? This is just for discussion, the poll it's self is Virtanen vs Nichushkin as players.

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
With the Canucks taking Jake Virtanen with the 6th overall I can't help but see the similarities between him and Valeri Nichushkin. Both big guys with skating ability who can shoot. That's the poll in a vacuum.

But it also gets me thinking about the possibilities. Considering we took a player comparable to Horvat in McCann with our second 1st round pick this year in hindsight would Nichushkin, Ehlers/Nylander, McCann have been a better use of picks vs Horvat, Virtanen, McCann? This is just for discussion, the poll it's self is Virtanen vs Nichushkin as players.

I like the way our team has made picks the last couple of years. Nichushkin is kind of a go big or go home type of player, whereas Horvat will be a serviceable NHL guy for many years, even if he doesn't become a good top 6 guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Are you trying to hurt us? Nichushkin is better but Virtanen could close the gap being so young. But any reasonable combination, heck, I'd include taking Fabri over Virtanen, is better than Horvat over Nichushkin.

member 202355

Take off the homer glasses people.

Nichushkin > Virtanen AINEC.

EDIT: My god, why can't people ever spell Nichushkin's name correctly?! There's an 'H' in it damn it!

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
Nichzzdlasldkj (sp?) is/was more NHL ready when drafted, and has had an outstanding start to his career, but Virtanen's skill set is at least equal, so compare them in 5 years.

Horvat has a competely different skill set and will play a completely different role.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Contrary to popular belief they have similar skill sets. Nichushkin gets overrated on here, but it's probably him. That being said suggesting that it isn't even close is laughable.

Iridescent*

Contrary to popular belief they have similar skill sets. Nichushkin gets overrated on here, but it's probably him. That being said suggesting that it isn't even close is laughable.

It's not really. Virtanen has a brick for a brain, but all the tools. Where to brickheads with wheels, tenacity, and a good shot usually end up in the NHL?

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
It's not really. Virtanen has a brick for a brain, but all the tools. Where to brickheads with wheels, tenacity, and a good shot usually end up in the NHL?

I don't think the hockey IQ disparity between Nichushkin and Virtanen is particularly large. I also think that Virtanen has more one-on-one moves than Nichushkin. Where I would give Nichushkin some advantage is creativity and size. While Virtanen is heavy, Nichushkin just has a massive frame which really helps him to protect the puck.

I don't think the gap is big, either way. Horvat is more valuable than both.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Btw way to find a creative way to pit yet another Canuck pick against the always-fun-to-talk-about Valerie Nichushkin. Not even same draft year or any real reason to bring him up and yet here we are again.

I salute your Machiavellian mind good sir.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad