6th D (Pateryn vs. Barberio vs. Redmond)

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
Markov, the guy who got 44 points last year , 1 more point than he got 2 years ago , during an awful season for the team , is now only good to anchor Pateryn ?

Thank god you didn't said, Pateryn will help him on the ice....

Markov is a liability defensively against top lines. He needs to be moved to the third pairing and can still play on the top PP unit.

Not crazy about Pateryn as his partner as they are far too slow to be paired together.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Markov, the guy who got 44 points last year , 1 more point than he got 2 years ago , during an awful season for the team , is now only good to anchor Pateryn ?

Thank god you didn't said, Pateryn will help him on the ice....

Markov played close to 6 minutes a game on special teams the last two years and close to 7 minutes the year before that. He's still an excellent player but if we can limit his even strength minutes to keep him around 20 minutes a game total, he's going to be fresher as the season goes on. Plus if we need offense late in games he can also be moved up with Weber or Petry.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
I wouldn't be surprised to see Mikhail Sergachev playing on the right side 3rd pairing, my pick was Redmond as a partner for Emelin. That depends upon how Markov is used though, Beaulieu has developed his game very well, so he may be on the 1st pairing quite often. (Beaulieu has played with Gonchar, Subban, Petry and now Weber.) That type of experience would make most defence prospects envious, not to forget a much better defenceman, expect Beaulieu to blossom this year. Markov & Petry will make for a 1B defence pairing, behind Weber & Beaulieu, while Emelin & Redmond could be a very good 3rd pairing. Emelin played very well with added icetime last year, 22 mins. per game is 2nd pairing mins., adding the smooth skating Redmond whose also capable of adding offence, gives the Habs huge depth of PMD's. Barberio earned at least 7th dman in the rotation, his skating & offence will work well with the Habs up tempo offence this season. Mobility from the backend in transition will not only help in 5 on 5, but also on the PP from both units. Having a Barberio or Redmond with fresh legs can really be an asset on the PP or late in games, keeping all the Dmen in the rotation, will benefit everyone's game come playoff time.(Truly hope Sergachev can break into the lineup, certainly has the size & skills necessary, especially when the long playoff series kick in!!)

The Habs defence corps that Bergevin has put together, will be tough to beat, of course adding Weber whose considered to be the world's best Dman & toughest to play(defensively & his offence his huge also) All teams will be forced to play their top defensive unit against Weber, otherwise they may as well mail the points into the Habs.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Besides being so upbeat or bragging about our defence, I'm flat out ecstatic with how great our forward corps will be this year. With great scoring & tenacity on our top six, teams can look forward to more of the same from the bottom six. No rest or quarter given on any shift from any line, a practice that has become routine for Habs players, all character types that thrive on competition and want to be the best in their role as a Hab. A practice that was also routine for those SC Championship teams in the past, no passengers on any of those teams, toughness was rampant throughout the Habs lineups in those teams. Henri Richard was one of the toughest competitors, he was also one of the smallest in the NHL.(Desharnais size, players that can play against NHL sized giants, have huge desire & heart, IMHO)

Those smaller players are great leaders, teammates have to admire the tenacity of these men, besides wanting to give their best each shift also, as their teammates do. Captain Pacioretty may be 6'2 & 213 lbs. but any person that can rebound from an injury like his, from the Chara hit into the post, which required surgery(Neck vertebrae) then comeback to star in the NHL, like Gary Roberts did, has to be inspiration to every player that knows him, I know I'm impressed to the nth degree!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

This Habs team reminds this lifelong Habs fan of all those great Habs teams, I've witnessed since the 50's, glorious teams with huge character & skills. Not just offensively but complete players, which was the biggest reason the Habs have won so many SC's, against other great teams. Talent & great skating only take teams so far, heart & the desire to be the best team alongside being the best at their roles in the team, is paramount in being Champions. Go Habs Go!!!...:handclap::handclap::handclap:

Having Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk and now Weber & Radulov leading our team up front. While Carey Price holds the fort on the backend, of course having one (If not the best defence in the NHL.) helluva Defence corps helping, should see Carey leading our team to the Finals, & hopefully the 25th Stanley Cup Championship, next spring (2017, barring any serious injuries, like last season.)

Don't forget the Habs have probably the deepest strength in the NHL, in their bottom six forwards, a trait that's prevalent on all Stanley Cup Championship teams. Scoring needs to come from every line & defence pairings, that puts huge pressure on the opposition, not to forget it demoralizes the opponents.:yo::yo::yo:

Go Habs Go!!!...:nod::yo::handclap::popcorn:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
People on here have a very uninformed opinion of Weber. He is a very good passer and skates much better than they think. He is a well above average "puck mover" and is not just some giant slug with a big shot.

I don't think he's a bad skater, but I cannot be convinced that we didn't lose something in terms of puck moving ability going from subban to weber.

Weber is just different. His ability to move the puck on a breakout is not going to be something that will jump out at you. That doesn't mean he's terrible at it either.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Emelin is making far to much money to sit, so he's playing for sure.
The questions are...
1)- Does Emelin play 2nd or 3rd pairing?
Assuming answer is 2nd pairing
--- 2a)- Who best fits with Beaulieu on the 3rd? (IMO, Pateryn)
Assuming answer is 3rd pairing
--- 2b)- Who best fits with Emelin on the 3rd? (IMO, Barberio)

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Thread should be titled

6th D (Pateryn vs. Barberio vs. Redmond vs. Sergachev)

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Best Case Scenario:

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Barberio - Pateryn
Redmond, Emelin

Worst Case Scenario:

Markov - Weber
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Pateryn
Barberio, Redmond

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
really? what's he like? i feel like I don't even know what type of player he is?

Redmond has the size that Barberio lacks and the skating that Pateryn lacks. If he can get right between the ears then he could be the best option of the three.

I don't think he's a bad skater, but I cannot be convinced that we didn't lose something in terms of puck moving ability going from subban to weber.

Weber is just different. His ability to move the puck on a breakout is not going to be something that will jump out at you. That doesn't mean he's terrible at it either.

Weber is a smarter player than P.K. and is very good on the breakout. Subban mindlessly carries the puck too often with no apparent plan or purpose. Weber is great in transition with crisp accurate passes to the forwards. He understands systems and how to play as a 5 man unit. It is P.K's lack of understanding of this part of the game that is keeping him off of team Canada. He was embarrassing at the Olympics in his one game with his complete lack of understanding of Babcock's system and his incessant waiving of his stick in order to call for a pass.

I will take Weber over Subban any day as would most if not all NHL coaches. We certainly know where Babcock, Therrien and Trotz stand on that question.....

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Redmond has the size that Barberio lacks and the skating that Pateryn lacks. If he can get right between the ears then he could be the best option of the three.

Weber is a smarter player than P.K. and is very good on the breakout. Subban mindlessly carries the puck too often with no apparent plan or purpose. Weber is great in transition with crisp accurate passes to the forwards. He understands systems and how to play as a 5 man unit. It is P.K's lack of understanding of this part of the game that is keeping him off of team Canada. He was embarrassing at the Olympics in his one game with his complete lack of understanding of Babcock's system and his incessant waiving of his stick in order to call for a pass.

I will take Weber over Subban any day as would most if not all NHL coaches. We certainly know where Babcock, Therrien and Trotz stand on that question.....

You said NHL coaches, but referenced Therrien who, while he might have a job as one, is far from an NHL caliber coach.
As for Subban vs Weber. It is a lateral move on the Habs part. PK was a dynamic player until Therrien and his so called system changed the way he played the game.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Best Case Scenario:

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Barberio - Pateryn
Redmond, Emelin

Worst Case Scenario:

Markov - Weber
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Pateryn
Barberio, Redmond

I don't think under any scenario is Emelin off the starting roster. He'd have to play really, really bad to start the year.

I feel like sometimes Emelin is almost under rated around here, he's pretty solid defensively albeit very unspectacular.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I don't think under any scenario is Emelin off the starting roster. He'd have to play really, really bad to start the year.

I feel like sometimes Emelin is almost under rated around here, he's pretty solid defensively albeit very unspectacular.

I agree with you, I find him expendable but he absolutely deserves to be on the starting roster unless he's playing like complete dog **** during camp.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I agree with you, I find him expendable but he absolutely deserves to be on the starting roster unless he's playing like complete dog **** during camp.

The thing with Emelin is he is a premium bottom pairing guy in a perfect world. Generally, even a great bottom pairing guy shouldn't really be above 2.5M.

But the fact he can slot in to the second pairing for extended periods and not hurt us is a huge asset that people tend to overlook.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Best Case Scenario:

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Barberio - Pateryn
Redmond, Emelin

Worst Case Scenario:

Markov - Weber
Emelin - Petry
Beaulieu - Pateryn
Barberio, Redmond

I disagree with you on this one. I think come opening night this is the best line up MT can put on the Ice. I get that Markov is getting older and MT will need to rest him but come on this is the beginning of the season. Points are too important to lose and Markov is the best option.

I agree that MT should try and rest Markov but only later in the season, when maybe Beaulieu is playing good hockey and Markov is getting tired.

82 games is a long season but if Markov is feeling healthy and rested he should be on are top pairing D with Weber. Only wild card I truly see might be the youngster Sergachev but in all honesty, I don't think he will crack the line up this year.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
If the want to actually be consistent with having a meaner D core, dress Pateryn. MT likes Barberio more and likes to play players on offside so I'm sure it'll be him.

Beaulieu - Weber
Emelin - Petry
Markov* - Pateryn

*heavy powerplay and ES min, 0 PK time.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
How long can Markov last?
He's lasted longer than we could've hoped. Seriously after all those knee problems it's been the absolute best case scenario for him.
If the want to actually be consistent with having a meaner D core, dress Pateryn. MT likes Barberio more and likes to play players on offside so I'm sure it'll be him.

Beaulieu - Weber
Emelin - Petry
Markov* - Pateryn

*heavy powerplay and ES min, 0 PK time.
It sure seems like sandpaper is the way the team wants to go.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Pateryn and Weber make the Habs difficult to play against no doubt. Greg has arrived. Good bottom pairing Dman

HugoLalumiere

May 20, 2013
Montreal, Quebec
MT loved Barberio last year, I'm sure he will give him the start at the beginning of the season.

This. Not as a knock against Barberio because he did show good things so far but he is also a local boy and we all know that can muddle the perspective in this city. I'm just hoping Therrien gives Barberio ice time because he deserved it and not because he needs another DD on D.

As most people, not very high on Emelin but last year he did have a physicality few others could bring. Now, with Weber, things should change and Pateryn definitely looks like he could bring what Emelin brings but a bit better and cheaper. So basically, Emelin should feel some pressure for the bottom pairing and if he falters, I expect Barberio AND Pateryn to pick it up. We are lacking on the shot-blocking D but then again that gives Price a clearer view of the play and fewer deflections so maybe it's not all bad. I figure Emelin will be moved under the right circumstances i.e. Barberio and Pateryn are playing well and somebody shows interest in him.

Redmond simply strikes me as a career #7 or 8. He might be a late bloomer but he's nearing 30 and can't seem to stick around long enough to convince people to give him a permanent spot. As was mentioned in this thread, he's a wild card. Might surprise us and we don't have much to lose.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I don't think folks realize how good Redmond will be. He has good size and skates well. He will move up the depth chart

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
I'd prefer to see Barberio, Pateryn and Redmond ahead of Emelin. Don't know enough about Redmond to place him ahead or behind Barberio and Pateryn but I do know the Emelin probably shouldn't be on this hockey team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad