6th D (Pateryn vs. Barberio vs. Redmond)

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Assuming the top 5 D stay as expected with Weber, Markov, Petry, Emelin & Beaulieu and Sergachev doesn't make the team, which player would you like to see starting as our 6th D next season?

Pateryn looked very good to end the year last year, brings a lot of physical play and has a very hard shot.

Barberio was a pleasant surprise last year before getting injured, can move the puck well and helps provide some offence.

Redmond is a bit of a wildcard, didn't play much last year but had a decent year in 2014-2015 with 20 points in 59 games.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I think it comes down to chemistry on that 3rd pairing and if any of those guys can play on the opposite side of how they shoot. Do the Habs carry 8D and only one extra forward?

Emelin (L) / Barberio (L)
Pateryn (R)

Emelin (L) / Pateryn (R)
Barberio (L)

Barberio (L) Pateryn (R)
Emelin (L)

Can Redmond (R) play his way on the team in camp? He does have to clear waivers so if he is sent down and there is an injury, he may or may not get claimed when called up. Also, I don't know much about Redmond but he does seem to be a good depth addition in case of injuries.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015
I have to lean towards Pateryn.

We know MT loves Barberio though. I guess the chemistry and ability to move the puck as a team will decide things.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
It will be Pateryn at first but he'll be on a very short leash and at the first errant pass he'll sit some games out . I predict Redmond will impress a lot of people at camp with his skating and Barberio has a lot of sympathy going for him. All three will probably end up playing games in the end.

lynx

Oct 18, 2005
IMO Pateryn has looked great from the start, of course Therrien disagrees with me, but what does someone like me know?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
MT will have to wait to see what the A/C guys say, and then he will make his choice...look for da guy who is da bedder person...and we should have our answer!!

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
I think you should put Emelin's name instead of Pateryn. Pateryn has played too well for me, even after sitting out 1/4 of the season at first. He is our #5.

Emelin is #6. And if Barberio has a good camp and chemistry with Pateryn, Emelin could find himself in the stands to start off, or maybe traded.

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Barberio - Pateryn
*Redmond/Emelin

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I think you should put Emelin's name instead of Pateryn. Pateryn has played too well for me, even after sitting out 1/4 of the season at first. He is our #5.

Emelin is #6. And if Barberio has a good camp and chemistry with Pateryn, Emelin could find himself in the stands to start off, or maybe traded.

Beaulieu - Weber
Markov - Petry
Barberio - Pateryn
*Redmond/Emelin

I can twist it around and say the exact same thing about Emelin you know... He had a relatively solid second half where he averaged 22+ mins a night.

As for the topic at hand, I think Pateryn is a lock to at least start the season as a regular. He gained Therrien's trust when injuries came and was playing close to 20 minutes a game. Barberio will most likely start the season as the #7 and rightfully so. Therrien has always put emphasis on handedness and this goes in Pateryn's favor.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
MT loved Barberio last year, I'm sure he will give him the start at the beginning of the season.

I'm really intrigued by Redmond though, I think he could be a great surprise if he stays healthy

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Assuming the top 5 D stay as expected with Weber, Markov, Petry, Emelin & Beaulieu and Sergachev doesn't make the team, which player would you like to see starting as our 6th D next season?

Pateryn looked very good to end the year last year, brings a lot of physical play and has a very hard shot.

Barberio was a pleasant surprise last year before getting injured, can move the puck well and helps provide some offence.

Redmond is a bit of a wildcard, didn't play much last year but had a decent year in 2014-2015 with 20 points in 59 games.

Not answering because I want Sergachev to make the team, learn from his mistakes this year, and be a real contributor by latest next year.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
I think pateryn and barberio make the team and rotate as rd on the bottom pair. Barberio has shown he can play either side. Might make a call depending on the opponent. Barberio is a better puck mover, pateryn brings more physicality.

Still unsure who the other d man will be on that bottom pair. Could be Emelin or Beaulieu or maybe even Markov. That may play into who gets into the lineup.

I think Redmond is a first call up unless pateryn has a terrible camp. Could see Emelin traded in season. Barberio and pateryn are both capable everyday players

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
Depends of our transition game from the D and how much offense we've lost from our backhand with Subban gone. Also depends if Beaulieu steps it up offensively. Therrien might decides to put Barberio with Weber on the first pairing and tell Mark to help with the offense leaving Markov with Nate on the second pairing.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Someone last year in some thread said something along the lines that Barberio could be better then Beaulieu. I thought it was crazy at the time and that's coming from someone that has said since his early days in Hamilton that many would be disappointed in him. But now I do wonder, as Barberio played a lot better then I thought he would. I'm not suggesting that he will or could be paired with Weber, but we clearly need someone to step into that role and if Beaulieu isn't ready then we have a major problem on our hands and in the mean time since it will likely take time to find a solution via trade, I do wonder if they would try Barberio since Emelin needs to be in a lesser role to be better imo and Markov-Weber would be painfully slow. Plus you would want the 2 vets to work with some of the younger and or inexperienced guys like Beaulieu/Barberio/Redmond/Pateryn.

Last edited:

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Someone last year in some thread said something along the lines that Barberio could be better then Beaulieu. I thought it was crazy at the time and that's coming from someone that has said since his early days in Hamilton that many would be disappointed in him. But now I do wonder, as Barberio played a lot better then I thought he would. I'm not suggesting that he will or could be paired with Weber, but we clearly need someone to step into that role and if Beaulieu isn't ready then we have a major problem on our hands and in the mean time since it will likely take time to find a solution via trade, I do wonder if they would try Barberio since Emelin needs to be in a lesser role to be better imo and Markov-Weber would be painfully slow. Plus you would want the 2 vets to work with some of the younger and or inexperienced guys like Beaulieu/Barberio/Redmond/Pateryn.

Kinda sounds like what I have for lines...

Beaulieu - Weber
Emelin - Petry
Markov - Pateryn

Barberio/Redmond

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

I was really impressed with Barberio. He's obviously not your first choice but he's an option. Skates very well he can create things.

I'd just rather MT try these guys instead of just handing over that top spot to Markov which you know he'll do. I at the very least want to see NB get a good look there.

I don't hate MT the way most do. I even kind of like the way he handles the young kids and doesn't give them top spots right away but he just way over does the whole giving prime time to his pets and vets.

Like Galchenyuk has turned out well and maybe just maybe MT gets a bit of credit for bringing him along slowly but my god if DD doesn't get injured then does Galchenyuk play on the 3rd the whole ****ing year? That's really effed up.

Sure bring the kids along slowly but my god you just can't over do it like that. Not with ****ing Galchenyuk. His player usage just drives me batty.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
I like both Barberio and Pateryn. They bring different elements to the table and will probably be shuffled in and out of the line-up accordingly.

I don't know enough about Redmond to know where he fits in.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
With a physical presence in weber coming and a puck mover in subban going out, I think it hurts pateryn. If barberio can limit his brainfarts, he has a pretty good chance to be a full time guy.

I like pateryn better overall, but when I think of need, barberio's chances of becoming a full timer increase.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
With a physical presence in weber coming and a puck mover in subban going out, I think it hurts pateryn. If barberio can limit his brainfarts, he has a pretty good chance to be a full time guy.

I like pateryn better overall, but when I think of need, barberio's chances of becoming a full timer increase.

People on here have a very uninformed opinion of Weber. He is a very good passer and skates much better than they think. He is a well above average "puck mover" and is not just some giant slug with a big shot.

bloudy

Feb 12, 2015
East Vancouver
Kinda sounds like what I have for lines...

Beaulieu - Weber
Emelin - Petry
Markov - Pateryn

Barberio/Redmond

I vote this exactly. Petry's mobility will cover for Emelin's lack there of; Markov, with reduced minutes due to slowing down, can anchor/mentor Pateryn.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I vote this exactly. Petry's mobility will cover for Emelin's lack there of; Markov, with reduced minutes due to slowing down, can anchor/mentor Pateryn.

Markov, the guy who got 44 points last year , 1 more point than he got 2 years ago , during an awful season for the team , is now only good to anchor Pateryn ?

Thank god you didn't said, Pateryn will help him on the ice....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad