Post-Game Talk: #69 | Hurricanes at Flyers | March 18, 2023

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Foerster is making it hard to send him down and a good case for starting next season.
Cates not only got a goal, but great pass after wining a board battle behind the net to set up a goal.
Frost is solidifying his position, he's a solid 3C but right now a marginal 2C.
Tippett makes plays.

The last two games it has all been about the core kids, no TK, no Couts, Hayes and JVR are being carried.

If you're a NAK fan, how can you not like Lemieux?
Same combination of speed, a modicum of skill, physical play and a dollop of stupidity.

Reactions: macleish1974

Chicken N Raffls

Here for the chaos and lolz
Nov 7, 2022
Douglassville
I don't think a single person here desires consistently visionless, incompetent tanking.

You're right that it's not a single person. It's actually everyone on this board. That's what I've heard through the grapevine at least.

Missed the last two periods, but caught the highlights after reading a bit here about the epic loss. Sucks about the loser point, but losers know how to be losers, no,? Can't lose them all in regulation

My one comment on the game. You know how you watch a breakaway replay in a hockey game and the pbp guy points out that the guy on the breakaway recognized that the guy playing D on him is a forward? Often happens in shorthanded breakaways. I always thought that had to be at least somewhat bullshit, just because of how fast this sport moves. Like, maybe, if you're that good, and at that level, you can recognize that and also react accordingly in a split second. But still. Still stretches believability for me. After watching the replay of OT and the way Aho went right at Tony D, I'm a believer

Reactions: Magua

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Culture goodness is positively correlated with the talent a team has. A good team could have a bad culture though, for example the 2011 Flyers, a great team with a completely fractured locker room.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
It is not wise us getting these points...we are back to 6th overall last...however it is nice to see some of these young guys looking decent for the future.....we need to get a stud or two in this upcoming draft and they we can be going places....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
You don't need to tank to do a proper rebuild, in fact, I'd say if you're tanking, you're not doing it the right way.
Because if you focus on the tank, and lose the lottery, you can suck for a very long time.

A proper rebuild focuses on adding assets, getting younger, clearing cap room and getting value for players who don't fit the rebuilding timeline. One result is you may suck for a year or two, but not because you're trying to suck, but because when you trade some veterans for picks and prospects, a younger, more talented team may still struggle for a couple years. Experience matters.

You can't count on being lucky like Edmonton or NJ, even if you finished last for 2-3 years, the odds are about even of picking #1 even once.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
You don't need to tank to do a proper rebuild, in fact, I'd say if you're tanking, you're not doing it the right way.
Because if you focus on the tank, and lose the lottery, you can suck for a very long time.

A proper rebuild focuses on adding assets, getting younger, clearing cap room and getting value for players who don't fit the rebuilding timeline. One result is you may suck for a year or two, but not because you're trying to suck, but because when you trade some veterans for picks and prospects, a younger, more talented team may still struggle for a couple years. Experience matters.

You can't count on being lucky like Edmonton or NJ, even if you finished last for 2-3 years, the odds are about even of picking #1 even once.
Tough to add assets when you trade all your picks for shitty players

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
just checked the scores from last night and thank god that Arizona and Vancouver are also intent on ruining their draft positions as well.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Water under the bridge, Chuck is gone, the three amigos are on their way out.
Hopefully, they'll get some new blood in the scouting department.

You can turn on a dime, Rangers traded four 1st rd picks trying to be competitive, a couple years later picked up 3? 1st rd picks rebuilding.

I expect the Flyers to pick up at least a half dozen 1st and 2nd rd picks the next two seasons.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Foerster is making it hard to send him down and a good case for starting next season.
Cates not only got a goal, but great pass after wining a board battle behind the net to set up a goal.
Frost is solidifying his position, he's a solid 3C but right now a marginal 2C.
Tippett makes plays.

The last two games it has all been about the core kids, no TK, no Couts, Hayes and JVR are being carried.

If you're a NAK fan, how can you not like Lemieux?
Same combination of speed, a modicum of skill, physical play and a dollop of stupidity.

Wait, why would Foerster be sent down? This is supposed to be the Revolving Door Era you promised us. We are supposed to be deep into it.

Were you wrong?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Torts seems to like Foerster. He has been good with the puck on his stick or not. Good hockey sense
He made real strides since the beginning of the season, guess AHL coaching isn't quite as bad as advertised.
Still want Foerster to work on his skating this summer, but he's got the complete package for a PF, 6'2 194 when drafted, figure he'll fill out to about 210-215 lbs when he grows up.

You can find big bois with skills, Kaplan looks like another, Allison if he could stay healthy.
Those clever skilled smurfs need someone to pass to.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Water under the bridge, Chuck is gone, the three amigos are on their way out.
Hopefully, they'll get some new blood in the scouting department.

You can turn on a dime, Rangers traded four 1st rd picks trying to be competitive, a couple years later picked up 3? 1st rd picks rebuilding.

I expect the Flyers to pick up at least a half dozen 1st and 2nd rd picks the next two seasons.

Wait, I thought those picks don't matter because they're not a sure thing?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He made real strides since the beginning of the season, guess AHL coaching isn't quite as bad as advertised.
Still want Foerster to work on his skating this summer, but he's got the complete package for a PF, 6'2 194 when drafted, figure he'll fill out to about 210-215 lbs when he grows up.

You can find big bois with skills, Kaplan looks like another, Allison if he could stay healthy.
Those clever skilled smurfs need someone to pass to.

What specifically has Lappy done to help him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad