Prospect Info: 68th Scott Walford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They can make trades, I don't think Reilly is back. They don't have much depth at all at LD in Laval. So far just Alzner and Sklenicka.

I think Benn walks cause he had a solid year and will be looking for a AAV/term that we prefer not to give him and some team will. I know Bergevin wants him back but he better be careful with overpaying to keep him. I Also think Reilly and Quellet might be back. Bergevin loves depth on D. So if all 3 of these guys are let go (Benn, Reilly, Quellet), he will sign others to replace them.

As far as Laval.. LW options are Alzner, Sklenicka, Olofsson, Leskinen, Reilly, Quellet. The options are there for sure and bringing in another rookie like Walford, might not be something they want. Takes up a contract and he might play ECHL in the end.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Leskinen, Ouellet and Olofsson.

D in Laval looks to be shaping up well IMO... Where would you fit the rookie Walford? Bump down Olofsson and Sklenicka and not sign Ouellet? Is it smart to sign him to ELC and play him ECHL where he takes up a NHL contract?

Leskinen / Brook
Alzner / Fleury
Olofsson / Lernout

Sklenicka, Ouellet,

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
D in Laval looks to be shaping up well IMO... Where would you fit the rookie Walford? Bump down Olofsson and Sklenicka and not sign Ouellet? Is it smart to sign him to ELC and play him ECHL where he takes up a NHL contract?

Leskinen / Brook
Alzner / Fleury
Olofsson / Lernout

Sklenicka, Ouellet,

The best would be a 1-year AHL deal for Walford...

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
They also have Leskinen and they might bring back Ouellet.

I forgot about Leskinen, but i was talking about players under contract so far. We'll know a lot more over the next 4 weeks on what their plans are for other guys. Either way I would have signed Walford but don't think it's a big deal as I was never a big fan. I like Tyszka a lot more but if they have concerns over his concussion then it makes sense.

I do like Sklenicka a good bit, not sure he can ever be an NHLer but he plays a good physical and defensive game at least so if he can progress they might have something there.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I'm certain that Walford will get, at the very least an AHL deal.
He'd be much better off going back in the draft and then sign an entry-level deal with whomever drafts him.
I'd sign the guy and then figure out where he should play. Trading his ights would be better than letting him go for nothing. Such bad asset management... Why accumulate picks and draft a bunch of d-men if they're all lettting them go for nothing?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He'd be much better off going back in the draft and then sign an entry-level deal with whomever drafts him.
I'd sign the guy and then figure out where he should play. Trading his ights would be better than letting him go for nothing. Such bad asset management... Why accumulate picks and draft a bunch of d-men if they're all lettting them go for nothing?

As it stands right now, we have 39 contracts in the books and it's tracking to be 47 after the RFA guys are signed and the AHL roster is complete. And there is no room for Walford both in the contract limit and AHL roster.

How do you know that Bergevin has not tried to trade his rights but he is getting no bites?

Reactions: Vachon23

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
As it stands right now, we have 39 contracts in the books and it's tracking to be 47 after the RFA guys are signed and the AHL roster is complete. And there is no room for Walford both in the contract limit and AHL roster.

How do you know that Bergevin has not tried to trade his rights but he is getting no bites?
From all accounts, Walford had a very good second half and was trending upwards in his development. Not signing him makes no sense. Even if he ends up in the ECHL, that's not entirely a bad thing. He can also be loaned to another AHL team or somewhere in Europe. If we sign Lernout and not this guy, I'll be dumbfounded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stive Morgan

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
From all accounts, Walford had a very good second half and was trending upwards in his development. Not signing him makes no sense. Even if he ends up in the ECHL, that's not entirely a bad thing. He can also be loaned to another AHL team or somewhere in Europe. If we sign Lernout and not this guy, I'll be dumbfounded.

Lool where talking about 3rd pairings AHL guys calm down

Reactions: TooLegitToQuit

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
If the Habs don't sign him it must mean that they like other guys more than him, and that they don't see a role for him in the organization going forward.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Such bad asset management... Why accumulate picks and draft a bunch of d-men if they're all lettting them go for nothing?
Because that's how you increase your odds of hitting a homerun. The further in the draft the more it's about luck rather than scouting and development.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

They're going to have to make a decision: who has more NHL potential, guys like McCarron and Lernout, or Walford?

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa
They're going to have to make a decision: who has more NHL potential, guys like McCarron and Lernout, or Walford?

They also need to decide if they want Laval to make the playoffs next year, McCarron is a good AHL player (and doesn't count as a vet), Walford would probably start the year in the ECHL. The other issue is that ELCs are for 3 years, maybe the Habs think there will be a contract crunch in 2020 (Ylonen, Ikonen, Romanov, ...).

Chet-Nick

Feb 28, 2005
Ontario
Second pairing AHL

I thought the politics of Walford being the draft pick - from Buffalo - in the Beaulieu trade would have dictated a contract.

After the failed experiment. The Sabres dealt Nathan to Winnipeg for a 6th rounder. Curious who picks Scott up and how he fares next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad