Prospect Info: 68th Scott Walford

Status
Not open for further replies.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
He turned his game around, that's for sure. Hope both Walford and Tyszka are signed, se we can see what they're made of in the pros.

Adding Brook, Walford and Tyszka to Fleury in Laval/whatever-ECHL-team would be huge for the organization.

Reactions: 26Mats

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
When you are playing for a contract the best way to do that is hit career highs across the board, which he has done so that's a very good sign for him. He's been on fire for some time now, in his first 24 games he had 11 pts, since then he's got 30 pts in 29 games. That's crazy.
Only 2 pts away from being leading scorer of his team. Impressive.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
Deadline to Sign = June 1st
Walford can play another year in the WHL as an overager - his contract would slide and not count towards our 50 limit until the following season

2018-19 Season & Playoffs looked solid with 9G, 47A in 62gp, followed by 7a in 10 playoff games

LD with size
Seems like a no-brainer to sign him unless the team knows something we don't

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Deadline to Sign = June 1st
Walford can play another year in the WHL as an overager - his contract would slide and not count towards our 50 limit until the following season

2018-19 Season & Playoffs looked solid with 9G, 47A in 62gp, followed by 7a in 10 playoff games

LD with size
Seems like a no-brainer to sign him unless the team knows something we don't

Everything points to no good reason not to sign him.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
His numbers aren't that impressive for a 20 years old, but considering the leading scorer on his team has 49 points, it certainly helps putting things in perspective.

I agree, no good reason not to sign him.

It's his age 19 season, if he were to play in the WHL next year it would be his overage season at 20.

I was never a big fan of his game, just nothing really stands out so I don't really care if they sign him or not, we need LD's so I would lean towards signing him as I do think he can be a solid AHLer, maybe spend next year in the ECHL and then a few years in the AHL. If he can continue to progress then it would be worth signing him.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

That should be a good indication he will sign with Montreal if Walford is already planning to train in Montreal with some of the NHL regulars. He did it last year before he went back to Victoria. When asked about his contractual status, he said that he would like to get it done so he can train here again this summer.

Josh Brook also said that he'll train in Montreal this summer.

Last edited:

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

That should be a good indication he will sign with Montreal if Walford is already planning to train in Montreal with some of the NHL regulars. He did it last year before he went back to Victoria. When asked about his contractual status, he said that he would like to get it done so he can train here again this summer.

Josh Brook also said that he'll train in Montreal this summer.

He may not have a very 'interesting' type of game, very 'safe' and all, but he improved on his last season. And, well, we need that depth, the kind of depth that'll free us from the need to trade for the Benn/Reilly/Olofsson of this world.

Reactions: Walrus26

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
2nd scorer on a team.

That seems like a progression to me

2017-2018
32 pts in 69 games (GF 287 in 72 games)
involved in 11% of teams goal

2018-2019
47 pts in 62 games (GF 199 in 68 games)
involved in 25% of teams goal
Well the management team is looking at more than offensive production. I was hoping he would be signed.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Fine with him not being signed. Was expected. It's not about progression. If you can't progress in juniors, you are just a player that just can't be drafted. As a 20 year old, everybody will have success. It's about what's left of your progression. I had Walford on my list to be drafted that year....but CLEARLY not that soon. Bad pick.

Strange that you pick a guy for needs....but you don't sign him even if you still have needs...lol

Last edited:

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Fine with him not being signed. Was expected. It's not about progression. If you can't progress in juniors, you are just a player that just can't be drafted. As a 20 year old, everybody will have success. It's about what's left of your progression. I had Walford on my list to be drafted that year....but CLEARLY not that soon. Bad pick.

Strange that you pick a guy for needs....but you don't sign him even if you still have needs...lol

Yeah I think I had him slotted in the 4th or 5th. I was happy we took him but kind of pissed we took him so early.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
From an interview of Trevor Timmins after the draft (Timmins fait le bilan de ses sept sélections):

«Un autre joueur qui est passé un peu sous le radar. Il a subi une sévère blessure à une jambe dès le premier match des séries éliminatoires. C’est la raison pour laquelle il a glissé (jusqu’en 3e ronde). J’y étais. Je suis chanceux, car j’étais le seul recruteur sur place. C’est un autre grand compétiteur et un excellent patineur. À Victoria,

il jouait autant au sein de l’attaque massive qu’en infériorité numérique. Il a le potentiel pour faire partie de notre top 5.»

Translation: Another player who passed a little under the radar. He suffered a severe leg injury in the first game of the playoffs. That's the reason he slid (until the 3rd round). I was there. I was lucky because I was the only scout in attendance. He's another great competitor and excellent skater. At Victoria, he played as much on the powerplay as on the penalty kill. He has the potential to be part of our top 5.

To me that reads that he was Timmins pick. It is odd that with the depth chart on the left side, they wouldn't sign someone that only two years ago they thought enough of to take early third round.

Last edited:

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
He may not have a very 'interesting' type of game, very 'safe' and all, but he improved on his last season. And, well, we need that depth, the kind of depth that'll free us from the need to trade for the Benn/Reilly/Olofsson of this world.

Disagree. The players you listed are at least replacement-level bottom pairing/reserve NHL dmen. Regardless of whether or not he signs, Walford is likely at least 2 years from being that if he gets there.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
To me that reads that he was Timmins pick. It is odd that with the depth chart on the left side, they wouldn't sign someone that only two years they thought enough of to take early third round.

Yep, especially since they used the injury to explain him being chosen late...lol.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
seems odd they wouldn't sign him with us being so thin on LD prospects. Guess it will be another Matt Bradley situation where we needed centers but they didn't sign him either.

I think the 50 contract limit is a factor and LD depth in the AHL is solid.

- Currently 36 contracts
- 37 with the back up goalie if we sign one and don't go with Lindgren
- NHL RFA's to sign (Armia, Lehkonen, Kulak, Reilly). That makes 41
- AHL RFA's to sign... Likely another 5 or 6 contracts.

That puts us at 46 or 47 and most teams don't go beyond that. Ylonen, Ikonen, Romanov to be signed next year too.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
“I was in my hometown Coquitlam during the 2017's draft. With my family and friends. Just sitting around the TV. Talked about possibilities. Then Montreal came up. And my name turn up itwas definitely a special moment. It was a lot of emotions, but I never want to get too high or too low...”

“I'm a puck moving defenseman... I like to use my skating. That's my strengh. I can play in the three zones of the ice. I'm hard to play against. If there's a player that I say I play like I could be a Ryan Suter...”

“I took French immersion for nine years... So it's funny how that works out, that I might be able to use it in the future. I had a good idea the Canadiens were interested when I got invited to their combine a couple of weeks before the draft. My meetings went really well. So I thought there was a good chance of me coming here. Iit's just about listening to everything everyone is saying. There are more people talking to you who have a say in what the Canadiens are doing. You really have to listen to that... Respect it and use it to make the Canadiens one day...”

“My goal is to play with the Canadiens... That's would be a dream come true. Talking to Montreal in every camp about the weaknesses to work on. I mean I've many friends their favorite team growing up were the Canadiens. Just because of their historical franchise. It's just an honor to go to such a storied and great franchise... It was great to experience the speed of the NHL game and see the tempo at which the pros play. When you come to these camps, you know it's going to be grueling. Because of all the physical activity. All the practices and workouts. But everything here is very scientific and they definitely calculate what they're doing. They're not overdoing it at this point in the summer. They're just trying to make sure we're working hard and learning as much as we can. That's the biggest emphasis here. tI's definitely a lot faster. Instead of being a middle-aged guy in the Western Hockey League, I was one of the younger guys at camp in the past. It was really good to learn the speed of the game and execution level... The execution level is sometimes overlooked as a factor in how good all these players are. Every player here is on a first or second line in junior or college. So there's no one you can sleep on in these camps. There are a lot of emotions when you come to your first camp... It's something you dream about your whole life... To get to this point was definitely very cool. Especially to be with a historic franchise like the Montreal Canadiens... They showed us around the Bell Centre a bit at the start of the 2017's camp. You just see how big the rink is and how special the fans are. Hockey is not just a pastime to watch. It's really a part of everyone in Quebec... It's been an amazing experience and really good experience for me so far.”

“Loved it to be a minuteman in Victoria. I feel that's as more I can play the better I can play. I'm working out in any weaknesses that I've. You know when you play in the Western Hockey League no matter what you need to work on everything to get to the National Hockey League. I'm prepared to do that. The first four games after my injury I felt good. But I wasn’t myself... I was in some places at the wrong time. Made a couple passes that maybe weren’t there. I think after I’ve been really getting back to myself. I’ve been really happy with my game... There was a lot of rehabbing. I just wanted to be out there with them. I gained weight and got faster.”

“It was a huge honour to be named on 2018 CIBC Canada Russia Series CHL Roster. You grow up and watch all the games. Dreaming to be in those games. When you sign in the WHL, that’s one of your goals to make that team. The goal after was to make the World Junior team. So for me it’s was a stepping stone. I wanted to go in there and showed my game. Quite a few actually. In Kamloops, I've about six friends and family who came up. And then in Vancouver, I've 13. It’s really cool that it was at home... It was a very special night show with all of them because they helped me get there.”

“I had to introduce myself to half the guys on this Royals team... It’s a young team now with a lot of learning to do. I remember the great older defencemen who were ahead of me in my first couple of seasons here in Victoria. And how they led and how much I learned from them... I lead through words... But more through example and action. So the biggest thing that I try to explain to my young teammates is that every 10 games the intensity gets faster and the games get harder. Teams are more in tune. Know what they’re doing. The players are more adjusted and comfortable where they’re at. So every 10 games intensity goes up. I’m trying to preach and always preached to them that the speed goes up all the time... The intensity of the game... When I came in for my preseason as a 16 year old, I thought I played hard. Then I remember my first regular season game, my eyes were wide open... Because of how fast it was... It was eye opening... So they've to make sure that in practice they're pushing themselves to be ready for the game. We’re still learning. Every day at practice trying to get better. We’re learning new things about each other. Still getting everything down path. We can definitely improve in a lot of ways. Some of our wins were a little bit too tight. Because we didn’t manage the game the way that we wanted to. But we’re a young team so we’re going learn as the seasons goes on.”

“I setted three goals for myself on the 2018/2019 year. One being team named to team WHL. The second one was to earn a camp invite for the World Juniors. The third is to sign a contract with Montreal... So for me, it was just one step closer to those goals. As a team, our goal is to obviously win a championship. We’re a young team, so we're going to keep pushing each other every day to get better. We've learn from the ups and downs, get ready for the long haul.”

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think the 50 contract limit is a factor and LD depth in the AHL is solid.

- Currently 36 contracts
- 37 with the back up goalie if we sign one and don't go with Lindgren
- NHL RFA's to sign (Armia, Lehkonen, Kulak, Reilly). That makes 41
- AHL RFA's to sign... Likely another 5 or 6 contracts.

That puts us at 46 or 47 and most teams don't go beyond that. Ylonen, Ikonen, Romanov to be signed next year too.

They can make trades, I don't think Reilly is back. They don't have much depth at all at LD in Laval. So far just Alzner and Sklenicka.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad