Post-Game Talk: #68| Stars at FLYERS | Tue., Mar. 10, 2015

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The top five this year is pretty firm. It'd be highly unlikely for any of them to fall.

And my point is that it may not even make a difference whether we have #7 or #10. Like when we took Morin, we were going to pick him whether we were 6th or 11th. I get what you're saying about picking the one out of a handful of players who all seem to have similar upside, and you're right, but it really comes down to what our draft board looks like.

If the scouts have lots of separation between, say, 8 and 9, then it may make a big difference. But it's also entirely possible that they have minimal separation between Rantanen, Barzal, Crouse, etc. and would be content to simply let the chips fall.

At this point I want the highest pick possible because then there's a greater chance they get the player they want, even if it's a situation like you said where they'd pick the same person at 6 or 11.

For example, what if in 2013 they wanted Morin no matter where they picked but instead of picking 11th they ended up picking 12th and whoever was 11th took him before they had a chance? Like this year, what if there's someone in the 7-10 range they really love but being one or two spots later makes them miss out on that player? That's the only reason I care about draft position, not because I think we're going to get a radically better player at 7th than 10th.

Either way, I'm not going to complain if they win a bunch at the end of the year and pick a few spots later. It's not like we're Buffalo and we're going to rob ourselves of McDavid by picking 3 spots later by winning a few games.

Mayo Masseuse

Tinariwen Riddum
May 16, 2010
The Dunes of Neptune
I'd actually be amused. Then all the insufferable whiners who complain about this team getting hot when it doesn't matter would have an existential crisis. :laugh:

You'd be amused at missing out on McDavid by a slot?
And I'm not sure you know what an existential crisis means but I dig the sarcasm.

I think the argument against it is increasing odds. I like it when the players do have the pride to win though. Just hate to see a ten game win streak when it doesn't matter. It just shows their lack of grit/competitive edge when it matters.

flyerstime

Dec 11, 2013
Philly
was at the game tonight. if it wasn't for being with a bunch of friends I probably would of fell asleep. Crowd was pretty full but dead; just like the team. They looked awful except for Mason who was awesome tonight. Lehtonen getting first star was a joke but the 3 stars usually are anyway.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
There is variation. But for some reason many HF posters think the top 5 is the 3 you mentioned plus Marner and Strome and any other variation is wrong.
People would never admit publicly that a guy that goes by the initials of LC might actually go in the top 5.

This time in 2007 Jake Voracek was the #1 ranked player by ISS and was considered a lock for the top 5 if not first overall...he went 7th.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
People would never admit publicly that a guy that goes by the initials of LC might actually go in the top 5.

This time in 2007 Jake Voracek was the #1 ranked player by ISS and was considered a lock for the top 5 if not first overall...he went 7th.

Yeah, I don't presume to know what the top 5 will be, but if you look at 2007, it's pretty clear that JVR and Turris weren't 2 and 3, as they were locks to be acc. to all the experts that year. How the heck did LA take Hickey 4th?

What do you think? Kane, McDonagh, Subban, Voracek, Couture?

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2007e.html

This year, some team might love Zacha's potential, or whomever. Crouse could go 4th and change the whole dynamic.

I haven't seen all this year's class, but in the Prospects game I was impressed by Marner, not by Strome at all. Provorov was probably the best player on the ice, and Meier wasn't far behind.

Given the emphasis the Flyers have placed on the U18 performance, it might be worth just waiting to see who stars unexpectedly for Canada and pencil him in for our pick in the 7-12 range.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
This team is by far the most boring team I can recall and I have been following the Flyers since the mid 80's.

Their brand of No Frills hockey this year has been outright painful. One of the softest and easiest teams to play against bar none.

I can't wait until this season is over.....

Thanks Holmgren for another year of no cup and post season futility....

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
At this point I want the highest pick possible because then there's a greater chance they get the player they want, even if it's a situation like you said where they'd pick the same person at 6 or 11.

For example, what if in 2013 they wanted Morin no matter where they picked but instead of picking 11th they ended up picking 12th and whoever was 11th took him before they had a chance? Like this year, what if there's someone in the 7-10 range they really love but being one or two spots later makes them miss out on that player? That's the only reason I care about draft position, not because I think we're going to get a radically better player at 7th than 10th.

Either way, I'm not going to complain if they win a bunch at the end of the year and pick a few spots later. It's not like we're Buffalo and we're going to rob ourselves of McDavid by picking 3 spots later by winning a few games.

Can't argue with any of this. I guess all I'm really saying is that I won't get worked up over draft position because I personally don't see much disparity between the prospects we'll likely be choosing from. Whether our scouts do or don't obviously makes draft position a lot more important.

You'd be amused at missing out on McDavid by a slot?
And I'm not sure you know what an existential crisis means but I dig the sarcasm.

I think the argument against it is increasing odds. I like it when the players do have the pride to win though. Just hate to see a ten game win streak when it doesn't matter. It just shows their lack of grit/competitive edge when it matters.
I don't think you understood that exchange.

I'd be amused if a team above us in the standings won the lottery because that would suggest that we would have gotten McDavid if we had only won another game. All the whiners constantly cry about how we could have had Jones if we had only continued losing. Well, I'd love to see what those people would have to say if we lost the lottery because we finished with too few points this time around. Hence the "existential crisis".

Regardless, it's still terribly unlikely that we win the lottery, so there's no use getting worked up about it regardless of who wins (unless it's NJ, **** them). So, yeah, I'll probably be amused no matter what.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The only thing left really in this season for me is rooting against Tampa Bay in round 1. I'm not only scoreboard watching for our draft status but also in hope they don't get the #1 seed drawing an easier opponent (they're currently 1 point behind Montreal in the Atlantic after beating them tonight).

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The only thing left really in this season for me is rooting against Tampa Bay in round 1. I'm not only scoreboard watching for our draft status but also in hope they don't get the #1 seed drawing an easier opponent (they're currently 1 point behind Montreal in the Atlantic after beating them tonight).

Yeah I don't want Tampa going anywhere.......I don't feel like seeing Carle or Coburn win a cup but it's been an all too common trend with former Flyers. I certainly don't want the Rangers to win either.....

Random Forest

May 12, 2010

There is variation. But for some reason many HF posters think the top 5 is the 3 you mentioned plus Marner and Strome and any other variation is wrong.

If the top four is not McDavid, Eichel, Hanifin, and Marner, I would be absolutely shocked. I could see Strome falling, but not the others.

And regarding Voracek, there was never any doubt that Kane was going #1. And JVR and Turris were expected by most to go #2 and #3. There is always variation among scouting services, but generally leading up to the draft, there is a sense for where the top chips are going to fall even if each service has it slightly different.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yeah I don't want Tampa going anywhere.......I don't feel like seeing Carle or Coburn win a cup but it's been an all too common trend with former Flyers. I certainly don't want the Rangers to win either.....

It has nothing to do with seeing them win the cup for me, I couldn't care less about that. It's all about getting higher picks.

If they get knocked out in the first round our 1st & 3rd pick from them the latest they could be is the 22nd pick in those rounds.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
It has nothing to do with seeing them win the cup for me. It's all about getting a higher pick. :laugh:

If they get knocked out in the first round our 1st & 3rd pick from them the latest they could be is the 22nd pick of those rounds.

Yeah that too...but at this point let the chips fall as they may. So glad they battled all season to be a .500 team....:shakehead

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Yeah that too...but at this point let the chips fall as they may. So glad they battled all season to be a .500 team....:shakehead

You seem surprised by this. We've known all along this team would be a bubble team this year, and that's exactly what they are. We were never going to be as bad as Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona nor as good as the contenders.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
You seem surprised by this. We've known all along this team would be a bubble team this year, and that's exactly what they are. We were never going to be as bad as Buffalo, Edmonton, Arizona nor as good as the contenders.

Nope..I called it as well. Just a frustrated fan despite the obvious outcome which surprisingly wasn't obvious to some in that TSN rating thread...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1746713

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Nice! That single game might mean the extra draft spot and 0.5% chance at McDavid!

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
We'll get a high pick, I'm not worried about that. Losses like last night are more important in making sure Berube doesn't come back.

Akanon

Apr 15, 2012

Mason's post-game interview. He looks like he just wants to explode.. I'm glad he decided to call out his teammates and it's not just about what happened yesterday. There's been way too many times when the team has looked absolutely garbage. I just want this season to end, and to see Berube to get the **** out.
[NHL]776545[/NHL]
http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=776545&catid=771

Simmonds agrees that the team effort wasn't there.
[NHL]776551[/NHL]
http://video.flyers.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=776551&catid=771

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Mason needs to calm down and stop trying to inspire this team to win. I want as close to a top 5 pick as possible! Lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad