Post-Game Talk: #67| Saturday, Mar 11 2017| Flyers 1 at Bruins 2

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Berube was a bad coach. He made bad, stupid decisions. Suddenly he was in the right?

Nah. Don't buy it. I think the media is just foaming at the mouth to manufacture controversy, as they are known to do. Goalies are an easy target. They tried it with Giroux a few years ago and thankfully it failed.

No, I'm not saying Berube necessarily was in the right; but I am saying it was a two-way street. I'm doubtful Mason would have drawn Berube's ire for zero reason at all; and there are examples of Mason not acting like the kind of teammate who endears himself to the many adherents of hockey's code.

The org seemingly wanting to part ways supports the idea they don't love him.

If you think questions about Mason's likability are all imagined and fabricated, that's your prerogative, but I think there's enough there to support those who get the feeling he's not a loved teammate. Not saying he's evil. Just high maintenance.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Am I really reading an argument about a player/coach interaction that nobody here saw first-hand, which means nobody here actually knows what happened?

The only information you have is from an extremely unreliable beat writer who is basing his guess on body language he saw from afar... which are his own words.

The entire sequence last less than 15 seconds, but if body language does indeed account for the bulk of our communication, it said just about everything to this reporter watching from afar.

Of all the stupid ****ing things I've read on this board, this might be the dumbest **** yet.

Nobody has a clue what was said, which means nobody has a clue about the context of this moment or any information about their relationship off the ice. It's all 100% guessing.

What's with all the character assassinations lately? On Couturier, on Mason, on anyone you don't know personally or have concrete information on? It's insane.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Am I really reading an argument about a player/coach interaction that nobody here saw first-hand, which means nobody here actually knows what happened?

The only information you have is from an extremely unreliable beat writer who is basing his guess on body language he saw from afar... which are his own words.

Of all the stupid ****ing things I've read on this board, this might be the dumbest **** yet.

Nobody has a clue what was said, which means nobody has a clue about the context of this moment or any information about their relationship off the ice. It's all 100% guessing.

What's with all the character assassinations lately? On Couturier, on Mason, on anyone you don't know personally or have concrete information on? It's insane.

Striiker, something tells me you've formed plenty of righteous opinions based on circumstantial evidence & news reports of alleged events you didn't personally view first-hand, maybe even with politics, so spare us the lecture. It's a fan message board. If you are so personally and morally appalled by opinions based through a combination of journalist reports & first hand observations, you may be in the wrong place.

I think it is fair to conclude that Mason is moody & not loved by the team. That is based on journalist reports that are consistent with my own observations of character traits, such as: petulantly storming out on an interview; staring down teammates after mistakes & other similar body language; alluding that teammates didn't do their jobs in many post game interviews; admissions of his own that he's been close to quitting; pulling himself out of starts; talking to his parents for hours after most games; the Reese & Berube scenarios; and the fact that the Flyers re-signed Neuvirth instead.
As a fan on a message board, yeah, that's enough to believe Mason is probably high maintenance and not loved by the org. But you've never been one to understand there can be reasons for forming opinions different than your own.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Striiker, something tells me you've formed plenty of righteous opinions based on circumstantial evidence & news reports of alleged events you didn't personally view first-hand, maybe even with politics, so spare us the lecture. It's a fan message board. If you are so personally and morally appalled by opinions based through a combination of journalist reports & first hand observations, you may be in the wrong place.

I think it is fair to conclude that Mason is moody & not loved by the team. That is based on journalist reports that are consistent with my own observations of character traits, such as: petulantly storming out on an interview; staring down teammates after mistakes & other similar body language; alluding that teammates didn't do their jobs in many post game interviews; admissions of his own that he's been close to quitting; pulling himself out of starts; talking to his parents for hours after most games; the Reese & Berube scenarios; and the fact that the Flyers re-signed Neuvirth instead.
As a fan on a message board, yeah, that's enough to believe Mason is probably high maintenance and not loved by the org. But you've never been one to understand there can be reasons for forming opinions different than your own.

As usual, you're incorrect.

Will I listen to the opinions of people who watch guys on the ice if I know that they know hockey? Sure.
Will I listen to reports based only on body language? No, because that would be stupid of me.

It's so easy to misunderstand words if you don't understand the context, the same sentence could sound like two completely opposite statements depending on context of the quotes. And body language from afar is even less definitive.

You think it's fair to conclude that Mason is moody and not loved by the team? Well you'd be wrong there too. You don't know nearly enough to make a guess like that. I don't know why some people have such a big issue with admitting that they don't know something. You don't know what's really going on behind the scenes but you can't accept that and have to try to draw conclusions from 1% of the total information. Its about as fair as it would be if I tried to make a bunch of accusations about your life based only on your posts. I assume you wouldn't like that.

If you truly believe that weak set of "evidence" is enough for you to make the accusations you currently are, then that says a lot about how little thought goes into the forming of your opinions and how little other people on here should respect them.

Edit: Ill also go ahead and point out that I'm not even a big Mason fan, I don't particularly like him or dislike him. I'm not defending him with any bias whatsoever. And I actually dislike Berube, **** that guy, but I think any guesses about his off-the-ice actions/personality are equally as pointless.

Last edited:

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Maybe Mason is moody because he was rushed back from a concussion. The next logical step.

Please don't take this seriously.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
You think it's fair to conclude that Mason is moody and not loved by the team? Well you'd be wrong there too. You don't know nearly enough to make a guess like that. I don't know why some people have such a big issue with admitting that they don't know something. You don't know what's really going on behind the scenes but you can't accept that and have to try to draw conclusions from 1% of the total information. Its about as fair as it would be if I tried to make a bunch of accusations about your life based only on your posts. I assume you wouldn't like that.

If you truly believe that weak set of "evidence" is enough for you to make the accusations you currently are, then that says a lot about how little thought goes into the forming of your opinions and how little other people on here should respect them.

Edit: Ill also go ahead and point out that I'm not even a big Mason fan, I don't particularly like him or dislike him. I'm not defending him with any bias whatsoever. And I actually dislike Berube, **** that guy, but I think any guesses about his off-the-ice actions/personality are equally as pointless.
Exactly what evidence do you have to offer that Ghostisbeer's read on Mason is incorrect? He laid out some facts about a reporter covering an upset Berube concerning Mason's inability to play. That actually did occur, your dislike for Berube aside.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Exactly what evidence do you have to offer that Ghostisbeer's read on Mason is incorrect? He laid out some facts about a reporter covering an upset Berube concerning Mason's inability to play. That actually did occur, your dislike for Berube aside.

I'm not sure what instance you're talking about.

Link please?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I think it's laughable to buy into anything our media ever writes about locker room issues. They're clownshoes. All I see is people trying to find an issue and latching onto anything, no matter how thin or lacking in credibility.

Last edited:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I think it's laughable to buy into anything our media ever writes about locker room issues. They're clownshoes. All I see is people trying to find an issue and latching onto anything, no matter how thing or lacking in credibility.

Accurate

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
As usual, you're incorrect.

Will I listen to the opinions of people who watch guys on the ice if I know that they know hockey? Sure.
Will I listen to reports based only on body language? No, because that would be stupid of me.

It's so easy to misunderstand words if you don't understand the context, the same sentence could sound like two completely opposite statements depending on context of the quotes. And body language from afar is even less definitive.

Holy Mother of Irony. Only you could commence yet another sanctimonious lecture against judgmentalism with the opening line, "As usual, you're incorrect." LOL.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Holy Mother of Irony. Only you could commence yet another sanctimonious lecture against judgmentalism with the opening line, "As usual, you're incorrect." LOL.

Saying that you're incorrect isn't a judgment on your character, it's a response to your argument.

What would be ironic would be if I started off a post that condemns attacking people's character based on guesses by making an attack on your character with a wild guess.

But, since I didn't attack your character based on a wild guess, that's not the case. ;)

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I think the only issue there is or could be between Mason and the Flyers(mostly on Hextall) is if there is any contract talks. Which is only speculation at this point. We dont know if anything has been discussed. But I believe that would be the only thing where there could be any friction, or bitterness or whatever word you want to use.
I admit I am ready to move on from both the goaltenders. Of course who replaces them both is where the issue is as well. Doesnt sound like Stolarz is ready yet.

Sombastate

Jun 19, 2011
Las Vegas
Dr Leonard Orr has a theory that the mind is segregated into two separate halves with two separate functions.

The thinker and the prover. The thinker can think of absolutely anything, like the earth being flat; and the prover will organize available information to prove the thinker's thesis.

Some people on this board are making Orr look like a genius.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
I think one can easily come to the conclusion there has been some level of tension between the Flyers and Mason given the firing of Reese. How often are goalie coaches fired especially when the starter has glowing thoughts about them? Mason definitely has confidence issues also given how he almost quit playing hockey after Columbus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad