Post-Game Talk: #67| Saturday, Mar 11 2017| Flyers 1 at Bruins 2

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
The Claude Lemieux goal is my all-time Flyers horrorshow moment.

That said, I'm just old enough to remember late 80s Hextall. He was the consummate Flyer, in many ways up there with the Clarkes and Bernies (not in talent, but in attitude and overachievement). He was awesome.

yeah I was just going to bring that up. slapshot from the blueline and Hextall just whiffed on it.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
Bam.

Two Thursdays ago a teammate of mine had the puck hit his stick. I looked at him as more of a "did that go off of you" type thing

He hung his head in shame and that was my answer.

Thank god i don't have this board over analyzing it.

Better strip the C from you, just in case.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Mason didn't play his ass off except for a couple games this year, in the last stretch, his ass was saved on a number of occasions by his defensemen, including Manning, clearing rebounds that he left in front of the net (no, good goalies don't do that, and even Mason didn't do that last year).

Manning screwed up, but Mason of all people shouldn't have a bone to pick, for one thing, if you watch the play, Mason was slow to react, it wasn't moving very fast and he just froze. Which is typical of his entire season.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Lol, people are really pissed st Mason for giving Manning that stare? You people are ridiculous. Mason played his ass off and Manning had no business touching that puck, he absolutely deserves every second of that stare. And it was just that, a stare. Some people are so damn sensitive. Having played goalie for 20 years, if that happened to me, your damn well right I'd stare down my defenseman.

Thanks. I dont get why being pissed after a stupid mistake has to be kept somewhere deep within the stadium. "Oh no, he ****ed up and made me concede a game losing goal, I better not do anything"

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Yeah, I think the argument's swung too far both ways here.

I went back and looked at the replay. Mason's glare was harsh but understandable given the circumstance, and he actually didn't hold it as long as I initially thought - just a long second or two.

That said, his play has been uneven this year and at the very least you'd say there's evidence that his temperament might not be ideal.

When you add in that he's probably a $4m/yr-plus guy at this stage, re-signing him gets an easy pass from me.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
yeah I was just going to bring that up. slapshot from the blueline and Hextall just whiffed on it.

Not this again. That shot dropped about 6 inches, likely because it tipped off Svoboda's stick, iirc. Not really Hexy's fault although many others were.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Manning is a perfectly decent 5/6 defenseman. The hysteria on this board is ridiculous sometimes.

Maybe an ideal 7-8 Dman. Can fill a hole for a short term injury call up but never a regular for a contending team.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
So someone posts a link of Berube being an ******* and blames that on Mason?

Remember when that wad initially posted and we all agreed Berube was an *******.

Mason was put in a game while injured, which we all agreed is one of the reasons Reese left, and now we're blaming Mason?

I can understand people hating the glare, but anything else is absolute bull crap.

Plain and simple. This is arguably the third best goaltender in team history and some people want to run him out of town.

Let me use a popular colloquialism... "this is why we cant have nice things."

Some of you are nitwits.

I also wanna make clear that this isnt directed at Captain Dave, but some of the other kids in here.

Just went back in the thread. Excellent post! I think Mason's there with Cechmanek for 4th.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hexastate, it's pretty clear that there was something festering behind the scenes with Mason that caused Berube to be pissed.
You really think it was a one-way street of Berube just deciding out of the blue to act pissed at Mason for no reason?
This is a player who has pulled himself from starts at the last second; stormed out of an interview; said he was on the verge of quitting; etc.
There's been enough of these circumstances with Mason to infer that he is moody, petulant, and not particularly loved by the organization.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Berube was a bad coach. He made bad, stupid decisions. Suddenly he was in the right?

Nah. Don't buy it. I think the media is just foaming at the mouth to manufacture controversy, as they are known to do. Goalies are an easy target. They tried it with Giroux a few years ago and thankfully it failed.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016
It's not exactly his fault that he's on with 5 seconds left of a crucial tied game. That's our bumbling buffoon of a coach.

this. yet another game that hak fails to put his players in the best position to win the game. it has been a very common theme this year. people can say the team isn't talented enough to make playoffs but this coach has failed to put his team in the best spot to win constantly this season. they may not have the talent but the coach also fails to optimize the talent on the team that he does have. it's made a difference this year.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Some times the guy's behavior brings it on themselves?

Amazing how often their behavior only brings it on themselves here after the media manufactures drama and then never again elsewhere. Why anybody here believes them ever is beyond me. They're not sports journalists. They're TMZ wannabes.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hexastate, it's pretty clear that there was something festering behind the scenes with Mason that caused Berube to be pissed.
You really think it was a one-way street of Berube just deciding out of the blue to act pissed at Mason for no reason?
This is a player who has pulled himself from starts at the last second; stormed out of an interview; said he was on the verge of quitting; etc.
There's been enough of these circumstances with Mason to infer that he is moody, petulant, and not particularly loved by the organization.

Maybe there was **** festering behind the scenes because:

Berube was at the root of firing Reese.
Berube started Mason when he was hurt.

Maybe he pulled himself from starts because he was not 100% and Berube was ignoring that and was starting him anyway....risking Mason's health.

As for him thinking about quitting.....that was over 4 years ago. Maybe it's time to let that excuse go.

It's as if people like you completely forgot how he stood on his head behind a **** defense for 3+ years with a **** coach in Berube AND even though it is not talked about, dealt with his wife having a miscarriage.

If they chose to move on from Mason, so be it. But no need to distort things and try and turn them into "alternative facts" like you are doing.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I don't remember all the details, but Mason was hurt and was supposed to be unavailable to play. To save cap $ (or was it contract #s?), he agreed to serve as backup. Then Berube put him into the game early, totally unnecessarily, putting his health at risk. Reese flipped out and got himself fired, or quit to avoid having to work for an idiot - either way he would not stand for his goalie's longterm future being put at risk by a moron.

Mason's a very good goalie, and always has been for the Flyers. A few bad games here and there, but over the course of his career in Philly, he's been one of their best players.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Justice for Cricket
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
It's not exactly his fault that he's on with 5 seconds left of a crucial tied game. That's our bumbling buffoon of a coach.

yeah, I am not on the I hate Hakstol bandwagon as some are around here, but Manning and AMAC both being out there in the closing seconds was a stupid decision. What was he saving Provorov for? Have him out there for the final 30-45 seconds. It probably goes OT and Provorov gets his rest for the OT period still.
ridiculous bad decision.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
yeah, I am not on the I hate Hakstol bandwagon as some are around here, but Manning and AMAC both being out there in the closing seconds was a stupid decision. What was he saving Provorov for? Have him out there for the final 30-45 seconds. It probably goes OT and Provorov gets his rest for the OT period still.
ridiculous bad decision.

Provorov and Gudas are his two best defensemen and happen to play opposite sides.

You'd think he would have them out there together in crunch time, rather than the teams two worst defensemen.

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Provorov and Gudas are his two best defensemen and happened to play opposite sides.

You'd think he would have them out there together in crunch time, rather than the teams two worst defensemen.

Was Vandevelde and Bellemare out there too and we just didn't notice? Seems like a good spot for them to do nothing.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
According to the NHL shift charge, VDV & PEB were stapled to the bench 50 minute mark.

I think PEB got 1 shift after that. But nothing for VDV

Bravo! Hak is only half of a numb-skull instead of a full one. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad