Which will happen first?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
The scariest thing about 29 + 97 carrying us into the last playoff spot is how much easier it would make it for Nicholson to rubberstamp Keith Gretzky, Edmonton Oilers General Manager.

Reactions: McCupofOil

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else but I'd rather see us finish 5-7 than to be embarrassed in the first round.

To be fair. If they Oilers pull off the unbelievable and make the playoffs it would likely mean they would have just completed a pretty remarkable 23 game stretch and be one of the hottest teams going into the first round. Any of the top 4 would certainly be a tough out, but the pressure would be on those teams as the Oil would basically be playing with house money. If it's Calgary, how many times have they choked away the first round in the last 15 years.... well 5 of 6 times, so the pressure on them would be huge, could they handle it.....

the mcdavid era

Jul 10, 2017
I've been watching more basketball lately. It's amazing how much a superstar can carry a team in the NBA. In his prime, Lebron was able to carry his team to 8 straight finals as the best player in the world. Michael Jordan won 6 championships, and the list goes on and on.

Meanwhile, in hockey, McDavid's team will likely miss the playoffs in 3 of his first 4 years. Hockey really is a team sport like no other. No wonder, superstars don't command the same kind of salaries or fame in hockey, as they do in basketball.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I don't know about anyone else but I'd rather see us finish 5-7 than to be embarrassed in the first round.

Embarrassed by Calgary, I doubt that.we may not win the series but it will be closer than you think. Sharks could be ugly. Maybe we can get Koalabear to come and coach them for the first round.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I know its a free country and all but your opinion is wrong and you should feel bad.
My opinion is not wrong.

The team doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs. We have 9 4th line players up front. Special teams are abysmal, goaltending is inconsistent, defense provides very little offense and multiple breakdowns a game.

There will never be another season like this where teams as bad as us might squeak in.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
My opinion is not wrong.

The team doesn't deserve to be in the playoffs. We have 9 4th line players up front. Special teams are abysmal, goaltending is inconsistent, defense provides very little offense and multiple breakdowns a game.

There will never be another season like this where teams as bad as us might squeak in.

The team needs to actually build confidence and skills by, y'know, winning games. Playoff experience is invaluable. Another top 5 draft pick isn't going to save the day.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
My opinion is not wrong.

Connor and Leon deserve it, screw all the other guys. There will never be another season where to players so greatly outperform the rest of their team.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
The team needs to actually build confidence and skills by, y'know, winning games. Playoff experience is invaluable. Another top 5 draft pick isn't going to save the day.
Getting swept in the first round would build confidence? Especially when this is a group that went to Game 7 of the second round two years ago?

The team will gain confidence when we have a manager who can build a team. I don't think making the playoffs would make anyone more confident.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Getting swept in the first round would build confidence? Especially when this is a group that went to Game 7 of the second round two years ago?

The team will gain confidence when we have a manager who can build a team. I don't think making the playoffs would make anyone more confident.

The team isn't built well enough, yes, but absolutely more playoff games will build confidence for players - Koskinen will get used to seeing what playoff goalie interference looks like, Connor and Leon get another shot at trying to carry the team past the first round, and maybe we have a call-up or two take a crack at making a playoff lineup. I'm done with cheering for losses for a higher pick. Who are you even hoping to pick up at 5-7 that's going to make a difference next year?

Reactions: MikeFLB

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
The team isn't built well enough, yes, but absolutely more playoff games will build confidence for players - Koskinen will get used to seeing what playoff goalie interference looks like, Connor and Leon get another shot at trying to carry the team past the first round, and maybe we have a call-up or two take a crack at making a playoff lineup. I'm done with cheering for losses for a higher pick. Who are you even hoping to pick up at 5-7 that's going to make a difference next year?

The only thing I see that a 5-7 (or lottery win) could help with in the short term is possibly an opportunity to offload Lucic with the pick for someone that can still at least play the game for a reasonable price. This would be nice. But I'd rather cheer for wins.

Reactions: Aerrol

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Everything screams we should win. Incoming 5-1 loss. Spooner with that hatty.

North

Jun 25, 2009
My opinion is not wrong.

Your opinion isn’t right though.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
gagner has got 8 pts in a game before so i dont see why he wouldnt do it again

ElysiumAB

Sep 12, 2013
The opinions in this thread about the Oilers going to the playoffs are appropriately divisive.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
If the Oilers make it into the playoffs, they will deserve it maybe more than any other team that makes it. It will have taken an historic run by a roster that isn't even close to being capable of that. To me that's deserving.

I'm excited because we do have a bit of a perfect storm scenario brewing up here. Minnesota playing Tampa, and the Oilers playing three weaker teams, means they actually have a realistic shot of getting within 3 points. That's fun, I don't care what you think about the team. It would also wrap up another Hart for McDavid.

Lose tonight (and let's be honest, this is exactly the type of game the Oilers tend to lay down for), and my optimism will be gone.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
We’re out of it where in it I can’t keep track anymore.

Like it’s been said if we sneak in we will be doing so on a hot streak. We are the last team Calgary will want to play.

Reactions: Louis Cypher

space321

May 11, 2011
All of you talking about playoffs lol, let's not get too ahead of ourselves. Beating the nucks isn't a certain thing.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
My opinion is not wrong.

No chance this team makes the playoffs, we have 11 wins this calendar year and people think we can now win 12 in a month? It’s hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad