GDT: #67 ⋅ ANA @ WPG ⋅ 5:00 PM PDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
heyyyyyyyyyyy now. We don't need to add an extra game of disappointment. This is game 67. We have 15 more games left.
it’s crazy that we are the hardcore fans who keep coming back for this misery… I’m sure most of the regulars here will watch most of those 15 knowing the futility…. There might be only one or two good wins to carry us over to the draft…

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
At this point, they need to sit whoever is fighting through an injury and prepare for next year.

There is little to be gained and much to be lost if playing injured players and lose them for part of next year.

John

Reactions: JabbaJabba

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I don't necessarily agree. Those things in the quote are all about as intangible as it gets. And they're all things that are much better gauged internally than externally. Of course, at some point, the internal progress needs to result in external gains, otherwise it's meaningless. But I don't think we've reached that point.

In other words, there might be practice habits, workout habits, and other improvements that aren't showing up on the ice. If we look the same next year, then I think it's fair to question whether this is pure BS. And it might be pure BS now. But I don't think we're far enough into Cronin's tenure to determine that definitively. I know some people have questioned the team's compete level this year, but I think it's been mostly good.
I just can't agree. I can't buy that there's better accountability in the room when this team looks this lost and unmotivated while the coach looks exasperated and dumbfounded at the on ice results. I just don't see a team that is doing what they need to off the ice to be ready to compete in games. I can accept losses just fine. I'm not watching this year to see the team win games. I know the roster sucks. I'm specifically watching to see how the team is improving on the little things to eventually be more of a threat to eventually go on a run of success. With every passing week this team just gets farther and farther away from that. The only real difference from last year is they're not getting carpet bombed with 40-50 shots on goal every night.

But going from a historically bad season to just normal lottery bad doesn't really scream to me that the team has figured their shit out off the ice. If the team could show more fight and focus in their losses that'd be enough for me to feel good about where the team is going even if they lost every game, but I don't even see that.

I think those Verbeek comments are horseshit. Even if his metric is jumping from tirefire horseshit to pretty bad, I don't think that's a noteworthy improvement.

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
it’s crazy that we are the hardcore fans who keep coming back for this misery… I’m sure most of the regulars here will watch most of those 15 knowing the futility…. There might be only one or two good wins to carry us over to the draft…
The few fans left this season showing up in the gdt for game 82:

8e4651546bd8ab0c3f0de3851951460fdd7c5c20bef13235a9bafe0d1737a0be_1.jpg

JAHV

Sponsor
Oct 3, 2023
Anaheim, CA
I just can't agree. I can't buy that there's better accountability in the room when this team looks this lost and unmotivated while the coach looks exasperated and dumbfounded at the on ice results. I just don't see a team that is doing what they need to off the ice to be ready to compete in games. I can accept losses just fine. I'm not watching this year to see the team win games. I know the roster sucks. I'm specifically watching to see how the team is improving on the little things to eventually be more of a threat to eventually go on a run of success. With every passing week this team just gets farther and farther away from that. The only real difference from last year is they're not getting carpet bombed with 40-50 shots on goal every night.

But going from a historically bad season to just normal lottery bad doesn't really scream to me that the team has figured their shit out off the ice. If the team could show more fight and focus in their losses that'd be enough for me to feel good about where the team is going even if they lost every game, but I don't even see that.

I think those Verbeek comments are horseshit. Even if his metric is jumping from tirefire horseshit to pretty bad, I don't think that's a noteworthy improvement.
We disagree then. I saw a team tonight that fought hard for 40 minutes but didn't have the skill to complete good plays and didn't get any bounces before being overwhelmed. That's way better than last year. I'm on board with Verbeek's comments with the caveat that we need to see a big step forward next year.

• Haha
Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal

But going from a historically bad season
to just normal lottery bad doesn't really scream to me that the team has figured their shit out off the ice. If the team could show more fight and focus in their losses that'd be enough for me to feel good about where the team is going even if they lost every game, but I don't even see that.

Eakins purposely changed how we played to allow more SOG's in order for us to generate more points. No one believed me when I noticed the pattern last year b/c it was just easy to rag on Eakins. We didn't have the man power to play good defense, but our defense was made mostly of OFD's. The team took it's chances trading shots in a specific way. I've got the receipt for proof below with the SOG chart split and the Record split.

Ducks SOGs2022-23 Splits
Game SetSFSASD
Total
28.4​
39.1​
-10.7​
1 to 25
30.24​
37.8​
-7.6​
26 to 49
28.67​
40.13​
-11.5​
50 to 61
26.55​
43.09​
-16.5​
62 to 82
25.95​
37.67​
-11.7​

Ducks 2022-23Record Splits
Game SetGamesWLOTLPtsPts Pct
Total
82​
23​
47​
12​
58​
35.4%​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
30.0%​
26 to 49
24​
9​
13​
2​
20​
41.7%​
50 to 61
12​
5​
5​
2​
12​
50.0%​
62 to 82
21​
3​
13​
5​
11​
26.2%​

Please note when our Shots Against went up, so did our Points %. Then the TDL happened and we lost two of our OFD's in a trade as well as lost Rico for a long spell just before the TDL. Rico was out for 19 games. Our defensive talent was terrible weak before the TDL, but it got significantly worse when we lost two of our top-4D (well to us they were our top-4D even they they were third pairing Ds in Kulikov and Klingberg).

Now, flashforward to today and people keep citing the high Shots Against, but not realize last year's team has outproduced this year's club in points. Last year's club literally clawed their way to OT to earn more points.

Ducks2022-23SplitsEakins
Game setGamesWLOTLPtsPts %
Total
67​
22​
35​
10​
54​
0.403​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
0.300​
26 to 49
24​
9​
13​
2​
20​
0.417​
50 to 61
12​
5​
5​
2​
12​
0.500​
61 to 67
6​
2​
1​
3​
7​
0.583​

Ducks2023-24SplitsCronin
Total
67​
23​
41​
3​
49​
0.366​
1 to 25
25​
10​
15​
0​
20​
0.400​
26 to 49
24​
7​
15​
2​
16​
0.333​
50 to 61
12​
5​
6​
1​
11​
0.458​
62 to 67
6​
1​
5​
0​
2​
0.167​

If last year was historically bad, then this year's club is even worse! This year's club had a far better defense, better PP, and better PK, but it cannot put it all together to generate more points than last year's club.

• Since Mar 8, TDL
    • Games = 5 games
    • Record = 0-5-0 (0 pts)
    • GF = 5
    • GA = 27
    • GD = -22

That goal differential (GD) gap between last year and this year is shrinking very fast!

• Ducks Shutout offensively
    • Last year = 5 times in 82 games
    • This year = 8 times in 67 games

I don't think many realize just how bad this year has been. Most are still stuck on Eakins' narrative of being a terrible coach and they simply cannot wrap their minds around the fact this Cronin lead group is worse.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
Depresssing.

It wasn't until the 3rd period. The first two periods were boring, but it we were only down 2-0 and SOG was Ducks 17, Jets 21. Then the wax melted off of our Icarus Wings that kept us somewhat afloat and we proceeded to screech across the media air waves bursting into continuous explosions and flames. Not even WPG took pity on us with the score 5-0 and they had a PP in the waning moments of the game. We were bludgeoned.

Reactions: Kalv

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Eakins purposely changed how we played to allow more SOG's in order for us to generate more points. No one believed me when I noticed the pattern last year b/c it was just easy to rag on Eakins. We didn't have the man power to play good defense, but our defense was made mostly of OFD's. The team took it's chances trading shots in a specific way. I've got the receipt for proof below with the SOG chart split and the Record split.

Ducks SOGs2022-23 Splits
Game SetSFSASD
Total
28.4​
39.1​
-10.7​
1 to 25
30.24​
37.8​
-7.6​
26 to 49
28.67​
40.13​
-11.5​
50 to 61
26.55​
43.09​
-16.5​
62 to 82
25.95​
37.67​
-11.7​

Ducks 2022-23RecordSplits
Game SetGamesWLOTLPtsPts Pct
Total
82​
23​
47​
12​
58​
35.4%​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
30.0%​
26 to 49
24​
9​
13​
2​
20​
41.7%​
50 to 61
12​
5​
5​
2​
12​
50.0%​
62 to 82
21​
3​
13​
5​
11​
26.2%​

Please note when our Shots Against went up, so did our Points %. Then the TDL happened and we lost two of our OFD's in a trade as well as lost Rico for a long spell just before the TDL. Rico was out for 19 games. Our defensive talent was terrible weak before the TDL, but it got significantly worse when we lost two of our top-4D (well to us they were our top-4D even they they were third pairing Ds in Kulikov and Klingberg).

Now, flashforward to today and people keep citing the high Shots Against, but not realize last year's team has outproduced this year's club in points. Last year's club literally clawed their way to OT to earn more points.

Ducks2022-23SplitsEakins
Total
67​
22​
35​
10​
54​
0.403​
1 to 25
25​
6​
16​
3​
15​
0.300​
26 to 49
24​
9​
13​
2​
20​
0.417​
50 to 61
12​
5​
5​
2​
12​
0.500​
61 to 67
6​
2​
1​
3​
7​
0.583​

Ducks2023-24SplitsCronin
Total
67​
23​
41​
3​
49​
0.366​
1 to 25
25​
10​
15​
0​
20​
0.400​
26 to 49
24​
7​
15​
2​
16​
0.333​
50 to 61
12​
5​
6​
1​
11​
0.458​
62 to 67
6​
1​
5​
0​
2​
0.167​

If last year was historically bad, then this year's club is even worse! This year's club had a far better defense, better PP, and better PK, but it cannot put it all together to generate more points than last year's club.

• Since Mar 8, TDL
    • Games = 5 games
    • Record = 0-5-0 (0 pts)
    • GF = 5
    • GA = 27
    • GD = -22

That goal differential (GD) gap between last year and this year is shrinking very fast!

• Ducks Shutout offensively
    • Last year = 5 times in 82 games
    • This year = 8 times in 67 games

I don't think many realize just how bad this year has been. Most are still stuck on Eakins' narrative of being a terrible coach and they simply cannot wrap their minds around the fact this Cronin lead group is worse.
I mean I'm critical of Cronin but even assuming that this really was the case and Eakins was intentionally sacrificing defense to the point that it was historically bad (for the entire league, not just the franchise) you still ended up with the team having the second least goals for while having the worst shots allowed stat in league history since the stat started being recorded.

I'm with you that outside our hot start we haven't seen much improvement from last year, but I don't know if I can agree that the dip in goal scoring relative to the improvement in shot suppression makes this team much worse than last year.

Reactions: Kalv

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
I mean I'm critical of Cronin but even assuming that this really was the case and Eakins was intentionally sacrificing defense to the point that it was historically bad (for the entire league, not just the franchise) you still ended up with the team having the second least goals for while having the worst shots allowed stat in league history since the stat started being recorded.

I'm with you that outside our hot start we haven't seen much improvement from last year, but I don't know if I can agree that the dip in goal scoring relative to the improvement in shot suppression makes this team much worse than last year.
We were healthier last season than this season. Zegras has played like 25 games, Carlsson 35. We traded Drysdale for a guy in college. Killorn has missed time. Mintyukov missed a good chunk. McTavish and Terry have been banged up

I’m not sold on Cronin at all, but it’s impossible to judge him entirely after this season. We will see next season

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA

Everyone keeps talking about shot suppression like that’s a coaching thing not a roster thing. We iced a defense that would be considered poor for a 90’s expansion team. And the team is still playing man to man, and still has no idea what they’re doing.

Fowler 82GP
Benoit 78
Shattenkirk 75
Kulikov 61
Belieau 52
Klingberg 50
White 46
Vaakanainen 23
Harrington 17
Drysdale 8

Almost half of those players are AHL players, Vaakanainen wasn’t very good in between repeated injuries, the veteran guys are all (generously) bottom pairing, and Fowler was a 3D. Scotty Bowman couldn’t make that into a functional D corps.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Everyone keeps talking about shot suppression like that’s a coaching thing not a roster thing. We iced a defense that would be considered poor for a 90’s expansion team. And the team is still playing man to man, and still has no idea what they’re doing.

Fowler 82GP
Benoit 78
Shattenkirk 75
Kulikov 61
Belieau 52
Klingberg 50
White 46
Vaakanainen 23
Harrington 17
Drysdale 8

Almost half of those players are AHL players, Vaakanainen wasn’t very good in between repeated injuries, the veteran guys are all (generously) bottom pairing, and Fowler was a 3D. Scotty Bowman couldn’t make that into a functional D corps.
That's fair. But I haven't really been arguing like it's some crowning achievement for this team. I see problems from the players and sure the injuries haven't helped but what's striking to me is in a development year, I don't see a whole lot of development.

Reactions: Ducks DVM
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad