GDT: #66| New York Islanders @ Calgary Flames | March 7th | F/L 4-3

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Bailey is like a black hole of anything good. Ever. Stuff just dies around him.

Josh Bailey The Friendly Ghost.

Casper_the_Friendly_Ghost.jpg

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
If by Laviolette you mean Doug Weight, then yes absolutely.

Charles Wang is our owner. If it costs money and makes sense it doesn't happen.

Weight is seen as a legit candidate around league, he isn't going to be cheap like Capuano is. I really also believe Wang is going to sell this team now with Barclay's in future and this team has some building stability now. He should be able to sell and recoup some money. Wang will also be 70 this year, does he really want to do this longer?

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine
Where's the accountability? Okposo and Hamonic trying to fight after the game pisses me off. You got your ass handed to you during final six minutes of the game so you feel compelled to "make a statement" by fighting somebody on the team that just humiliated you? Here's a better idea: stop blowing two-goal leads!

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Nilsson isn't very good, probably not better than Poulin who also isn't very good. This team needs a legit #1, boatloads of cash for Ryan Miller? The tying goal simple shoot in that Nilsson flubbed into corner where he should have just grabbed it and froze.

I know we all like different flavors, but I don't want anything to do with Miller, at least not on the contract I think he'll want. We need a goalie who can be counted on for the next 5-7 years. Some may disagree. I just don't think we need a better and slightly younger Nabby. I am not even sure why I am saying this, though, as I probably should be begging for a few good years of Miller. We probably won't come out of the offseason with anything to speak of.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Doug Weight is the only option. Staple already said it.

Pathetic. Normally there are interviews, and the other guy has a resume. Weight has a gum wrapper and 0 head coaching experience.

This organization is such a laughingstock.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Weight is seen as a legit candidate around league, he isn't going to be cheap like Capuano is. I really also believe Wang is going to sell this team now with Barclay's in future and this team has some building stability now. He should be able to sell and recoup some money. Wang will also be 70 this year, does he really want to do this longer?

Wait, what?

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

I think Weight would be ok running show, he is fiery and obviously eventhough he is part of this staff now he can't be worse than Capuano. The lead blowing thing is nuts, its totally mental at this point. They also don't seem to get the goaltending in third, they need a save and they never get it.

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny
Nilsson isn't very good, probably not better than Poulin who also isn't very good. This team needs a legit #1, boatloads of cash for Ryan Miller? The tying goal simple shoot in that Nilsson flubbed into corner where he should have just grabbed it and froze.

Nillson is a joke out there. He doesn't look like he even feels like he belongs out there. He's not ready as a technically sound goalie to be here. It's kind of sad for him too that he's getting thrown in net, without getting time in at Bridgeport. I doubt Miller will come here, once he hits the open market. The Isles had their chance when they traded Moulson, but picked Vanek instead. It's gonna be tough to convince a younger goalie to come here.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island

Staple didn't say that. Out of everything he talked about today, the coaching situation was the one he seemed not to have much of a clear take on. He said Weight would be a likely candidate but did not rule out someone from outside the organization.

I have to be honest, after the first few minutes and the shorthanded goal, I decided not to watch today. It hurts that I've reached that point, but I just can't do it. Especially on these Western Canada swings, I can see why Howie doesn't go.

Content to see that we lost. Need to keep moving downwards at this point.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Nillson is a joke out there. He doesn't look like he even feels like he belongs out there. He's not ready as a technically sound goalie to be here. It's kind of sad for him too that he's getting thrown in net, without getting time in at Bridgeport. I doubt Miller will come here, once he hits the open market. The Isles had their chance when they traded Moulson, but picked Vanek instead. It's gonna be tough to convince a younger goalie to come here.

I think, with the season over, they want to see if they have anything in Nilsson to consider keeping him next season. I bet they are not even expecting him to do that well, only to show that he has some pulse (COULD be a decent prospect). That...and the tanking thing...

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island

They didn't "pick Vanek instead." They tried to get Miller, but he would not waive his no trade clause to come to the Islanders. That's been out there for a while.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island

There aren't alot of teams looking for a #1, unless he stays in St. Louis and we need to spend some money to at least get to cap floor so we could overpay him.

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Weight is a respected ex-player, if he doesn't get this job he will get another. Pierre Mcguire has talked him up alot as another big candidate. I think what is unknown is does he want to be head coach or a GM.
Maybe before this years PP. Only HC job Weight will ever sniff is here.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I think, with the season over, they want to see if they have anything in Nilsson to consider keeping him next season. I bet they are not even expecting him to do that well, only to show that he has some pulse (COULD be a decent prospect). That...and the tanking thing...

That's exactly why he is playing, trying to see what they have.

Tpkc2

Jul 19, 2013
Weight has been running the power play! It's dead last!! 0 for 4 tonight with over a minute of 5 on 3 and throw in a short handed goal!!

KasparsHipCheck

Feb 9, 2013
upstate ny

What gets me is that the Isles picked him just because he's a huge goalie. That's a trend around the league these days, but they're not all technically sound. With Nillson the way he scrunches down and plays on his pads to take away the lower part of the net, its just a waste of the one positive thing he has--covering the net. If he stood up more and didn't look so flustered on every shot, he'd have a better chance of making a save. Somebody with the Islanders has to be working with him on that at least.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Where is Eric Fichaud....

Speaking of him, I almost miss the days before the Internet got so big when we could get lost in our own fan-world of believing our prospects would "skate" in to save the day.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
Maybe before this years PP. Only HC job Weight will ever sniff is here.

You may be right but i disagree just on the standpoint of his playing career has built him a nice pedigree in the league. Power play was good before this year, losing Streit hurt as that is what Streit did best. My bet is he doesn't get this job and someone like Laviolette is coaching this team next year.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
What gets me is that the Isles picked him just because he's a huge goalie. That's a trend around the league these days, but they're not all technically sound. With Nillson the way he scrunches down and plays on his pads to take away the lower part of the net, its just a waste of the one positive thing he has--covering the net. If he stood up more and didn't look so flustered on every shot, he'd have a better chance of making a save. Somebody with the Islanders has to be working with him on that at least.

I know you didn't ask me, and I'm not a goalie coach, so I don't know a lot about the technical aspects of playing goalie. I think, from what I've read, that he lost a lot of development with his year lost to sickness. I actually have more hope that he might develop than Poulin, although I'm not convinced about either of them. We need a young-ish goalie badly.

DerekKingSnipes

Feb 20, 2013
Long Island
I know you didn't ask me, and I'm not a goalie coach, so I don't know a lot about the technical aspects of playing goalie. I think, from what I've read, that he lost a lot of development with his year lost to sickness. I actually have more hope that he might develop than Poulin, although I'm not convinced about either of them. We need a young-ish goalie badly.

They need to spend to get a goalie, its biggest hole this team has and with the money they need to spend to get to cap floor next year it has to be used 1st on a goalie. I personally would be ok with same forwards next year and bring in one legit veteran defenseman because while we do have good young D coming they need a mentor so these kids aren't rushed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad