GDT: #66 – Sabres at Penguins – Sun Mar 5, 5:00PM ET – MSG-B/NHLN

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Someone posted the officials tonight were involved in something like an 8-9 Buffalo record the past games they officiated and a 14-1 Penguin record. That means nothing, since the two teams have pretty different records.

More relevant would be something like the number of standard deviations the officiated W-L record in 1-goal, 2-goal, etc., games was relative to the team's overall record in 1-goal, 2-goal, etc., games.

Frankly, I'd be shocked if there was a large enough sample size within a single season, let alone 2-3 seasons, to make a statistically valid conclusion.

Both erroneous and biased officiating happen, and both will be more impactful to game outcome for the League's less-talented teams. If you want officiating errors or bias to influence fewer game outcomes, the solution is "easy": become a better team.

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
I think this is way too harsh on Dan. This team has got me excited to watch the Sabres again after years of "face palming". These guys have the stuff, maybe it is all the Enzo sauce they are eating! The only thing that they need to have is a come-to-jesus meeting on is how to keep the lead, even build on the lead, late in the game. There are still some echoes of the turtling of years past but this can be worked on and fixed; the skill is there in most places. Blame for the missing pieces can not be all pushed onto Dan.

Losing 2 goals leads multiple times in the past week CAN be pushed on him. It is his JOB to get the team ready and teach them how to hold a lead. And he is FAILING at it.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Someone on twitter said the guy from tonight also officiated the game against Dallas where we scored more goals and lost. It might just be incompetence.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Nothing is going to change with the refereeing. This is Gary Bettman's and Colin Campbell's NHL. They believe in things like "evening it up" and "swallowing the whistle" - under the guise of "letting the players decide the game," of course, while ignoring the huge impact this allows referees to have on games by calling it pursuant to a "code" rather than the actual rulebook. At this point, coaches and players feel entitled to PP's when they are at a multiple PP deficit in a game. We all know it. When a team has had multiple PP's more than an opponent, you can predict with 90+% accuracy who's getting the next PP. That's "just the way it is," and Bettman, et al. aren't willing to change it - they think the game is better than it's ever been.

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Nothing is going to change with the refereeing. This is Gary Bettman's and Colin Campbell's NHL. They believe in things like "evening it up" and "swallowing the whistle" - under the guise of "letting the players decide the game," of course, while ignoring the huge impact this allows referees to have on games by calling it pursuant to a "code" rather than the actual rulebook. At this point, coaches and players feel entitled to PP's when they are at a multiple PP deficit in a game. We all know it. When a team has had multiple PP's more than an opponent, you can predict with 90+% accuracy who's getting the next PP. That's "just the way it is," and Bettman, et al. aren't willing to change it - they think the game is better than it's ever been.

Which is ****ing stupid and why I've been watching less hockey. "Blatant trip missed against X team I guarantee you the other team gets the next powerplay" never fails. Then make up calls shouldn't exist if you knew you screwed up you should be able to fix the problem. Not make two problems instead, not all powerplays or penalty kills are created equal.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Crosby wasn't invisible but if you were a casual or new fan to the game he sure didn't look like the best player in the sport. It's an inherent problem for hockey in marketing itself - the superstars don't stand out as much as in other sports.

Afino

The Juice
Dec 2, 2003
Orchard Park, NY
Crosby wasn't invisible but if you were a casual or new fan to the game he sure didn't look like the best player in the sport. It's an inherent problem for hockey in marketing itself - the superstars don't stand out as much as in other sports.

Implying that the NBA stars don't take "off" for a Tuesday night in Milwaukee.

It's a Sunday night game against a team that sucks and you dominate regularly. I think Crosby gets a pass.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Can't decide which is more hilarious/pathetic: Sam's coverage or Guentzel writhing in pain on the ice figuring that he'll probably draw another penalty.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Can't decide which is more hilarious/pathetic: Sam's coverage or Guentzel writhing in pain on the ice figuring that he'll probably draw another penalty.

The diving and selling being done by Pittsburgh tonight was truly pitiful, I've seen Euro soccer with less guys going down like they were shot left and right.

905PENS

Oskee wee wee
Apr 9, 2013
Hamilton Ontario
The diving and selling being done by Pittsburgh tonight was truly pitiful, I've seen Euro soccer with less guys going down like they were shot left and right.

There was a few dives from both. The one call against penguins was a pretty bad dive. Before ya judge me because of my name. Know im a hockey fan before a penguins fan. I enjoy chatting on other boards. As a whole, the reffs this year have been so terrible. For example, that hit malkin made a few weeks ago should have had him sit a few games. I just wish there was consistency. I promise you, the reffs are not bias and favor penguins. Players take liberties on him all the time. Things often never get called.

Ps seems your fans are pretty smart. Minimum Crosby bashing. I hope your star stays healthy and wins a cup. I love watching him play

Last edited:

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Losing 2 goals leads multiple times in the past week CAN be pushed on him. It is his JOB to get the team ready and teach them how to hold a lead. And he is FAILING at it.

So Babcock is a bad coach and should be fired then, given that the Leafs have blown more 2 goal leads than any other team?

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
So Babcock is a bad coach and should be fired then, given that the Leafs have blown more 2 goal leads than any other team?

The Leafs finished DFL last season and have an insane amount of rookies in their lineup. And they are ahead of Buffalo in the standings. This argument really has little merit when it comes to Bylsma. A young team loaded with rookies who were the worst team just last season should be expected to blow leads. A team on an "accelerated" rebuild paying big money to vet leaders like RoR, Okposo and Gionta, not so much. Especially since these leads we have blown have literally come in crunch time when the whole roster and coaches and GM have said these our must win games and we are still in it.

Guess that locker room talk Murray gave wasn't that special. Considering it was against Arizona at home it shouldn't have been a big win to break out of a tie game late in the third against them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad