GDT: #66 – Sabres at Penguins – Sun Mar 5, 5:00PM ET – MSG-B/NHLN

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I was wondering about this... I know you can't play the puck with a broken stick but can you not play it if you're holding a broken stick?

The only player who can play with a broken stick is the goaltender. You have to drop your stick immediately if it breaks. Kane knows that.

Apparently he can only process one thing at a time (drop his stick and kick/deflect the puck).

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
He 100% did. Was still holding the broken, butt-end while kicking the puck.

Exactly this. It was the correct call. You can carry the broken twig around as much as you want, but the second you participate in the play it's a penalty.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
The only player who can play with a broken stick is the goaltender. You have to drop your stick immediately if it breaks. Kane knows that.

Apparently he can only process one thing at a time (drop his stick and kick/deflect the puck).

It was a split second decision while they're pressing to try and tie a game. I'll live with that.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
That's a stupid rule. What difference does it make if Kane doesn't have the broken stick piece when he plays the puck with his SKATE?

Stupid or not, its been the rule like forever...... I'm amazed that posters on this board don't know that. (delay of game for shooting the puck out of the rink in your own end is even more stupid).

hypaspazz

Jan 27, 2017
Houston, TX
This was a masterclass of the 'league favorite' getting calls to aid them and the 'young, but not winning team' getting thrown under the bus.

I am in total agreement. Unless someone can prove to me that Schultz is 4'2", that was clearly a high stick, even with the tilted camera angles on NHL Network.

Good on the NHL for trying to perpetuate the Ol' Steel Town dynasty of the Penguins, they had a sell out crowd after all; gotta please the crowd. Maybe the NHL executives should call the NFL and see how well a certain dynasty team affected their profits.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
So done with this ****. Same result every night.

The most worrying part is what it's doing to our young players. This is what happened in Edmonton that threw them off the rails, the constant losing gets into kids heads, it kills confidence. Lehner could stop a shootout attempt from a midget player right now. We've done good fighting till the end, but how many times are you going to beat your head against a wall when it seems like it's getting you nowhere and everyone and everything is against you? We are Buffalo fans after all, we know how defeating that becomes.

Browne88

Oct 20, 2011
You can't even hold a broken stick, I don't think it even matters if you play it. Everyone should if seen that coming. ROR's only penalty one year in Colorado was because he didn't drop a stick fast enough, and it wasn't even an obvious break like Kane's was.

Got it, thanks.

ende

Dec 12, 2005
Better penalty: Knock him down a level or two(i.e. AHL or ECHL)until you can call a game right.

Absolutely. Perhaps the best check against biased and corrupt officiating is to pay attention to the analytics. Every game should be reviewed by an independent body of representatives from both the owners and NHLPA in order to rate officiating performance. Trends indicative of bias should be punished with monetary and other disciplinary punishments, including relegation to lower leagues or even termination.

Teams should also have the ability to blacklist a certain number of referees from officiating their games.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I am in total agreement. Unless someone can prove to me that Schultz is 4'2", that was clearly a high stick, even with the tilted camera angles on NHL Network.

Good on the NHL for trying to perpetuate the Ol' Steel Town dynasty of the Penguins, they had a sell out crowd after all; gotta please the crowd. Maybe the NHL executives should call the NFL and see how well a certain dynasty team affected their profits.

It's hard for me to understand why the league doesn't require each arena to install an ice level camera at each goal line that is level with the top of the net. Run it on wide angle/panorama setting.

Heck my iPhone camera has enough resolution and is small enough not to obstruct views.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Absolutely. Perhaps the best check against biased and corrupt officiating is to pay attention to the analytics. Every game should be reviewed by an independent body of representatives from both the owners and NHLPA in order to rate officiating performance. Trends indicative of bias should be punished with monetary and other disciplinary punishments, including relegation to lower leagues or even termination.

Teams should also have the ability to blacklist a certain number of referees from officiating their games.

The NHLPA has no incentive or reason to 'downrate' their own membership on performance. And bias is exceptionally difficult to prove in this realm.

The NHL will tell you that the poorly scoring officials don't get playoff assignments, and that's the 'financial penalties' that matter. Of course, that's small consolation to teams that don't MAKE it to the playoffs because of poor officiating.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo

That's what I was talking about. If the leagues not going to have a transparent review of officiating and watch every play and every call they should at least have an analytics team that can flag any official who has a record above the league norm with a certain team, and review those games. You can go a step further and review officials who have too many of a certain type of call, or who don't call something enough, like interference. it shows the league looking to improve, but still a ref who has a record above 90% for one team should be pulled away from reffing that team even if no bias is found. You just can't have a ref in any sport showing that heavily skewed results.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
It's hard for me to understand why the league doesn't require each arena to install an ice level camera at each goal line that is level with the top of the net. Run it on wide angle/panorama setting.

Heck my iPhone camera has enough resolution and is small enough not to obstruct views.

Exactly.

They managed to put cameras on the blue lines for offsides calls. It shouldn't be that difficult to put some in for that reason.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
The NHLPA has no incentive or reason to 'downrate' their own membership on performance. And bias is exceptionally difficult to prove in this realm.

The NHL will tell you that the poorly scoring officials don't get playoff assignments, and that's the 'financial penalties' that matter. Of course, that's small consolation to teams that don't MAKE it to the playoffs because of poor officiating.

Something tells me a 92% win ratio does plenty to show bias, even if unintentional.

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007
Not really.

There's a significant difference between some of their other recent losses where they dropped into a shell and deserved what they got, and being jobbed on 4 penalties plus an illegal goal allowed to stand.

yeah I have to agree, I have not posted on HF boards since tank season, and I had to look up my password to officially come on here and say that we got SCREWED by the refs this game, (I actually think that slashing call yesterday in OT was bad too) but nothing compared to the high stick goal, and the refs called a penalty on eichel after he was molested for showing a little bit of agrgression back, and the refs were falling for the Pens DIVES worse almose worse than the dives themselves.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Sensor technology exists. There is no need to rely on a human to gauge these dubious calls anymore. Why is this league not willing to invest a couple hundred dollars for each team to install post/crossbar cameras?

Hopefully drones and bots render NHL officials superfluous. Ideally, we achieve 100% unemployment in 5 years.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
That offensive zone penalty on Kane was an embarrassment. That Pen should feel ashamed of that dive.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

They had a terrific view on the pens feed from overhead - looked maybe something mounted under the crossbar. Very clear/HD (maybe the pic had some post-processing, who know?). The puck looked completely over the line, other than maybe some color bleeding off the line. I think that may also be considered part of the line, therefore the league said no-goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad