Post-Game Talk: #65| Blues at FLYERS | Thu., Mar. 5, 2015

SgtJoseph*

Yea we are what we are...a bubble team. By tanking to get a better pick you are no better than a welfare scrub or someone taking advantage without any pride. I am happy with every win that we are still in contention. A reg win Saturday could have us within a point of the playoffs. Whats the point of sports if you don't root for the long shot?

Well said !

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I hope they make the playoffs and win the Cup.

But let's be honest, with this coach, bottom 6, and defense that's as close to impossible as it gets.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
so we make the playoffs.... u think we run the table and win the championship?

At 7 we have better odds at getting mcdavd a generational talent. Talent wins stanley cups.

Of course not. But its not so cut and dry that we don't try unless we are first in the conference. Every year a team goes further than they should, some years they win. This is not basketball. And you really can't undermine the value of playoff experience and playoff losing to a player. I imagine it makes you much hungrier. In fact I have heard quotes from guys like Jagr that they didn't realize how much a playoff win meant until they lost a few times. Success is always a good thing. The hawks and Kings took 6-8 years of drafting and developing to be where they are now. We aren't going to do that. We don't need to do that. Get the experience now to make gain some real leadership.

Speaking of which the Flyers offered 50% of merchandise at the fan zone for those of us that made it to the game. I got a Simmonds jersey and it feels great! I am officially retiring my Primeau jersey after many years of service...

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
So then there is nothing to lose then . Why not have a go at it and let the chips fall where they fall . Personally i enjoy playoff hockey much more if the Flyers are in it .

true, i hate the playoffs when the flyers aren't in it on those rare occasions. But this draft is stacked, and it could be just what the doctored ordered for this really bad roster we have.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
you're right. we should obviously trade them both for for a bag of pucks.

Just saying that they are not in the top 5 category that some put them in. They are high end of course just not deserving of over 7 mill IMO. Again they are paramount to this team and among the best of the league but not best of the best type players that make their own space and create their own chances. The guys that you can try and contain but likely not stop.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012

But let's be honest, with this coach, bottom 6, and defense that's as close to impossible as it gets.

Flyers win cup, A Mac wins Conn Smythe. God would I love to see the reaction from this board

... and the Islanders board :laugh:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Some here are rooting for the long shot ... just in the opposite sense :laugh: a single digit percent chance at the #1 overall pick. Feasibly the absolute best chance we would have is 6.5%. Give me the playoffs anyday.

Theres nothing like Flyers playoff hockey. Its a huge event for me most every year and I love it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Flyers win cup, A Mac wins Conn Smythe. God would I love to see the reaction from this board

... and the Islanders board :laugh:

For the Flyers to win the Cup Mase would need to win the Vezina to get us into the playoffs, and then the Conn Smythe as well.

The national media would still start next season's Flyers previews asking if Philly needed to upgrade in goal.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Well said !

:yo:

Of course. I hate their D. And I envy a team like the Blues hard core. But do you really think we can't beat the Habs and Pitt to get to the conference finals with Mason as well as G and Jake? I think its a real possibility.

I for one am die hard. People have said before that to be die hard does not mean you have to be all in, and that may be true, but IMO it has a lot in common. You root for your team to do well even agains he biggest of odds.

I mean look at what most are complaining about. We lose to trash like Buffalo and the canes but beat the preds, caps and blues. But in the playoffs we won't be playing trash. Seems root-able at least.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Yea we are what we are...a bubble team. By tanking to get a better pick you are no better than a welfare scrub or someone taking advantage without any pride. I am happy with every win that we are still in contention. A reg win Saturday could have us within a point of the playoffs. Whats the point of sports if you don't root for the long shot?

Calling anyone who's on welfare is not only insensitive but ignorant.

We are not the players. We are not part of the organization. We want a Cup after not having one for half a century. We're tired of being mediocre. We're tired of ****-ups like Homer and Berube being handed key positions on a platter.

We are simply voicing frustration and anyone who wants a better pick rather then missing out on the playoffs by a hair is voicing the logical opinion towards what is best for the franchise long-term. A fan who didn't care about the team wouldn't care about the long-term health of it.

There's also a very easy difference between a fan wishing the team lost when a championship is clearly not possible and wishing the team would flat-out tank and quit. The former is frustration and rooting for the long-term view, the latter is more along the lines of what you're describing.

Just saying that they are not in the top 5 category that some put them in. They are high end of course just not deserving of over 7 mill IMO. Again they are paramount to this team and among the best of the league but not best of the best type players that make their own space and create their own chances. The guys that you can try and contain but likely not stop.

If Giroux isn't worth 7 mil then there's like four forwards, max, league-wide who deserve seven mil. Which is ludicrous to say considering how high the cap is and that the highest cap hits in the league are at 11.5 mil each.

Saying Giroux isn't worth 7 mil is the silliest thing I've seen posted on here in a long time.

Your description of them in those last lines also makes zero sense. No player in the league, no matter how freaking good, can summon some utterly unstoppable talent that wins games completely on their own. Ovechkin and Crosby and Malkin have been considered the three best players in the league for many, many previous seasons and the Pens have been a playoff laughingstock for years and are now not at the top of their division. The Caps have been largely a non impact team in terms of the playoffs for years.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
I mean look at what most are complaining about. We lose to trash like Buffalo and the canes but beat the preds, caps and blues. But in the playoffs we won't be playing trash. Seems root-able at least.

Like Curu has said many, many times our home record is great. Our road record is atrocious. You're making your argument weaker here because if we make the playoffs (which is a much, much larger if then anyone here ever seems to admit) then it's as a road team. No home-ice advantage, necessitating winning on the road. So, if anything, our record says we cannot win any round with how big the discrepancy is between home and road records.

It also shouldn't have to be pointed out that the regular season and the playoffs aren't exactly the same.

MadFerIt95*

Well it's been 5 months but its nice to see Matt Read finally play the game of hockey at a pretty high level again.

It will probably be too little too late, but if things go our way we could make the playoffs. I don't care where you stand on tanking/ the draft, this is at least exciting hockey.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Calling anyone who's on welfare is not only insensitive but ignorant.

We are not the players. We are not part of the organization. We want a Cup after not having one for half a century. We're tired of being mediocre. We're tired of ****-ups like Homer and Berube being handed key positions on a platter.

We are simply voicing frustration and anyone who wants a better pick rather then missing out on the playoffs by a hair is voicing the logical opinion towards what is best for the franchise long-term. A fan who didn't care about the team wouldn't care about the long-term health of it.

There's also a very easy difference between a fan wishing the team lost when a championship is clearly not possible and wishing the team would flat-out tank and quit. The former is frustration and rooting for the long-term view, the latter is more along the lines of what you're describing.

If Giroux isn't worth 7 mil then there's like four forwards, max, league-wide who deserve seven mil. Which is ludicrous to say considering how high the cap is and that the highest cap hits in the league are at 11.5 mil each.

Saying Giroux isn't worth 7 mil is the silliest thing I've seen posted on here in a long time.

Your description of them in those last lines also makes zero sense. No player in the league, no matter how freaking good, can summon some utterly unstoppable talent that wins games completely on their own. Ovechkin and Crosby and Malkin have been considered the three best players in the league for many, many previous seasons and the Pens have been a playoff laughingstock for years and are now not at the top of their division. The Caps have been largely a non impact team in terms of the playoffs for years.

To your first point.

We are not a bottom five team. There is a minuscule chance that we get the top pick in the lottery. We are bubble team. We have top end guys and great goalie. That does not make us the buffalo sabers etc. So as a bubble team you are looking at a difference of a few draft pick positions in making the playoffs and our likely pick if we made the playoffs. Considering how our team drafts, well and usually off the board, that is not a big enough jump to say you are rooting for a long term solution. If we draft a guy that was going to be there at 15 anyway then why not make the playoffs? If you think the only way we are competitive is but getting a top three picks, well thats not going to happen anyway. Just as you are not a player or management the best you can hope for as a fan is some measure of success this year, usually meaning the playoffs. NOTHING is in our control, such is sports. When you take a step bake you will see this.

Second point.

I said G is not worth over 7 mill. I think he is worth about 7 million. He had his biggest year to get his deal. The players that should be worth over 10% of the cap are: Crosby, Malkin, OV, Stamkos. These are they guys that you try and contain but can break free and hurt you with one play. Thats why they are only containable. G and Jake, IMO, are with Tavares and backstrom. Great players just not tops.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Like Curu has said many, many times our home record is great. Our road record is atrocious. You're making your argument weaker here because if we make the playoffs (which is a much, much larger if then anyone here ever seems to admit) then it's as a road team. No home-ice advantage, necessitating winning on the road. So, if anything, our record says we cannot win any round with how big the discrepancy is between home and road records.

It also shouldn't have to be pointed out that the regular season and the playoffs aren't exactly the same.

First off I am not saying we win any playoff games at all. Just saying that making the playoffs is good not matter what IMO and that we play well, really well, against the top teams in the league and that we have the number of several current east playoff teams. Just need to win one road game to win a series...

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
To your first point.

We are not a bottom five team. There is a minuscule chance that we get the top pick in the lottery. We are bubble team. We have top end guys and great goalie. That does not make us the buffalo Sabres etc. So as a bubble team you are looking at a difference of a few draft pick positions in making the playoffs and our likely pick if we made the playoffs. Considering how our team drafts, well and usually off the board, that is not a big enough jump to say you are rooting for a long term solution. If we draft a guy that was going to be there at 15 anyway then why not make the playoffs? If you think the only way we are competitive is but getting a top three picks, well thats not going to happen anyway. Just as you are not a player or management the best you can hope for as a fan is some measure of success this year, usually meaning the playoffs. NOTHING is in our control, such is sports. When you take a step bake you will see this.

Second point.

I said G is not worth over 7 mill. I think he is worth about 7 million. He had his biggest year to get his deal. The players that should be worth over 10% of the cap are: Crosby, Malkin, OV, Stamkos. These are they guys that you try and contain but can break free and hurt you with one play. Thats why they are only containable. G and Jake, IMO, are with Tavares and backstrom. Great players just not tops.

I'm in bed heading to sleep and on my phone so I'm not really going to address this further, but I quite literally never used the term top three pick. I never even used a specific number.

I also quite literally never said anything contrary to the team not being in our control. I actually already referenced that. Obviously if we had control of the team the frustration wouldn't be with the team but with ourselves.

I definitely don't need to take any step in any direction either. Aside from you stuffing words everywhere that I never even said, I accepted what this team is about twenty to thirty games ago. Only thing that annoys me is the holier then thou attitude some people have about making the playoffs.

Your description of what Giroux should make is also still absurdly silly. "About 7 mil" includes numbers above 7 mil. And if Giroux makes 7 mil exactly is that fair while if he made 7.1 mil is that undeserved? Because that's the level of deflection and nitpicking you're making.

According to you only four players in the entire league deserve over 7 mil. The highest cap hits in the league are 11.5 and neither of them belong to any of those four players. There's also a hell of a lot more then four players making over 7 mil currently. Even just looking at Giroux he's been at the top of league scoring for several years now and with a sub-par team mostly. He had a Hart nomination last season. His playoff PPG is silly high. I can't check the numbers now and I honestly don't care to talk about this anymore, but I'm also relatively confidant Giroux has outscored at least half of those four players at different points throughout the last few seasons. He's also been a leader in knocking out Crosby/Malking out of the playoffs (both of them, together) before. Ovechkin barely has any playoff credibility to his team in recent seasons. SRamkos isn't terribly far ahead in that regard. Malkin/Crosby play on the same freaking team and are known as a joke of a choking team that's regressing lately and nobody takes seriously as a Cup threat anymore. That's the four players you describe as "you can only hope to contain".

Your description of those four players and of who deserves over 7 mil is not only factually incongruent with the reality of the contracts out there but illogical and absurd.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Making the playoffs after trading our two best defensemen for picks at the deadline would be hilarious.
When was the last time that happened?

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Well, if nothing else, the game on Saturday should be exciting. Unless of course they lay an egg like we all know they're capable of doing.

Also, Couturier's been good recently. Yeah he may not be finishing like we all hope he would, but it will come. I believe that.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I don't know...Hextall echoed similar sentiments in a recent interview how they beat good teams and lose to bad ones and it was frustrating to him. The home vs away record is just part of it...although I hope it continues since I'm going to the Chicago game

they are capable of beating anyone at home.
they are capable of losing to anyone on the road.

Have to think that a win in regulation should be considered a must on Saturday considering the games in hand Boston and Ottawa have on the Flyers. I think Boston plays Florida 3 more times and Ottawa twice down the stretch which could complicate things if they have any intention of stealing that 8 seed

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
2/5 3-2 SOL Islanders
2/8 3-1 W Caps
2/10 2-1 SOL Habs

2/13 4-3 OTL CBJ
2/15 2-1 W Sabres
2/17 5-2 L CBJ
2/19 3-2 SOL Sabres
2/21 3-2 SOW Preds
2/22 3-2 W Caps

2/24 4-1 L Canes
2/26 3-2 L Leafs
2/28 4-2 W Rangers
3/3 3-2 OTL Flames
3/5 3-1 W Blues

Playoff Teams

Record against playoff teams month of Feb and March

5-0-3

Record against non-playoff teams month of Feb and March

1-3-2

SchennSational1022*

LOL at this guy saying OV is worth 7+ though. If you think Ovechkin is a better player than Giroux you're ****ing lost my friend

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad