Prospect Info: 64th Overall, Mattias Norlinder LD

Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So in none of these kids am I reading about their great IQ. So they could all have these great attributes, but all be Beaulieu's. Is this coincidence , is IQ not an important factor when we draft. it it a function of where we draft ( I say BS other teams score smart D in the 2nd and below ) these guys ( use 1sts )

I clearly saw issues with Beaulieu's IQ from early on but with Norlinder I'm just not sure yet one way or the other. Harris has great IQ imo.

Reactions: yianik and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I clearly saw issues with Beaulieu's IQ from early on but with Norlinder I'm just not sure yet one way or the other. Harris has great IQ imo.

Nice that you knew about Beaulieu's IQ issues early on. Did you have any reservations about McDonagh, Subban, or Emelin early on?

Reactions: tazsub3

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
The original article is behind a pay wall and the articles quoting doesn't mention any sources, other than that he has verbally said no to Luleå and yes to Frölunda.
Those of you not fully up to speed on swedish geography, Frolunda is from Gothenburg, the secong largest city in Sweden while Luleå is basically Winnipeg...
As I understand it, he is still under contract with Modo next year and if they advande to SHL he'll stay there, Modo is then basically Calgary or Edmonton.

As you probably already know, all games in Sweden are postponed two weeks.

*I hope I didn't offend any Swedes in Luleå, Ö-vik or Gothenburg.
Or anyone in Calgary, Edmonton or Winnipeg, for that matter.
You're right, which is why I didn't feel comfortable enough saying anything more than ''according to this guy'' . You're also right about Luleå , it's WAY up north, like about as far as anyone would ever want to go . You have to be a bit crazy to live there :laugh:

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Nate and his dad were getting into fights after his junior games, outside the rink. Anyone who didn't spot issues drafting this kid isn't fit to be a scout. Oh wait, nevermind, business as usual in this organization.

Reactions: Tyson and Dutronc

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
You're right, which is why I didn't feel comfortable enough saying anything more than ''according to this guy'' . You're also right about Luleå , it's WAY up north, like about as far as anyone would ever want to go . You have to be a bit crazy to live there :laugh:
A huge number of swedish boys were sent to Boden, another 30 minute drive north of Luleå for military service.
But they produce good hockey players!

yianik

Jun 30, 2009

Struble I am guessing you need to see more of, but what about Brooks and Romanov ?

Reactions: 26Mats

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Struble I am guessing you need to see more of, but what about Brooks and Romanov ?

yes I need to see more of Struble, there were some very questionable plays that made me think oh shit he's got IQ issues but it was just too small a sample size. But in watching Harris at the same age in the same league and coming from the same prep league, I never saw him make plays that had me question his IQ so it's at least concerning at this point.

Brook has certainly been a massive shock at how badly his IQ is at least in his own end. The good thing is that he's made a lot of improvement throughout the season whereas someone like Beaulieu just repeated the same mistakes over and over.

Romanov has very impressive IQ, like Harris you just don't see either make many mistakes. Their IQ is elite level.

Reactions: Fenris

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
yes I need to see more of Struble, there were some very questionable plays that made me think oh shit he's got IQ issues but it was just too small a sample size. But in watching Harris at the same age in the same league and coming from the same prep league, I never saw him make plays that had me question his IQ so it's at least concerning at this point.

Brook has certainly been a massive shock at how badly his IQ is at least in his own end. The good thing is that he's made a lot of improvement throughout the season whereas someone like Beaulieu just repeated the same mistakes over and over.

Romanov has very impressive IQ, like Harris you just don't see either make many mistakes. Their IQ is elite level.
How was Brook IQ when playing in junior league ? if i am correct, you used to be very high on his game, no ?

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal

i agree on Harris, he always makes the right play, feel like he won't bring much offense but play a very steady reliable game, good thing is he also plays both side very well! I watched alot of Brook but not in the AHL, i'm realy surprise about people saying he has huge defensive issues, he was very good defensively in junior, was smart, only thing about him is i felt he needed to execute a little faster because he wouldn't always have time to make the plays he was making, i'm not sure if that's why he isn't having success right now! good thing is he's very young, he was a late birthday and we can take our time with him since he's draft exempted!

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
How was Brook IQ when playing in junior league ? if i am correct, you used to be very high on his game, no ?

I didn't think his IQ in junior was an issue, I saw some minor issues with his defensive play but clearly I was wrong there. We'll see how it goes for him next year, if it was more of a lack of physical strength and confidence (Bouchard said he thinks his issues were from a lack of strength mostly).

i agree on Harris, he always makes the right play, feel like he won't bring much offense but play a very steady reliable game, good thing is he also plays both side very well! I watched alot of Brook but not in the AHL, i'm realy surprise about people saying he has huge defensive issues, he was very good defensively in junior, was smart, only thing about him is i felt he needed to execute a little faster because he wouldn't always have time to make the plays he was making, i'm not sure if that's why he isn't having success right now! good thing is he's very young, he was a late birthday and we can take our time with him since he's draft exempted!

I'm not expecting a lot of offense from Harris but he's so smart and he does have some skill so I would need to see how much his game continues to progress as he's made big strides since last year in terms of his offensive game.

Brook was a mess early on at times, he's still no where near playing the kind of game I think he can play but the mental mistakes have really slowed down as he was making a noticeable amount early on in the season but you could see him improving over time and now that he's been on the top pairing his game just went up to another level. The points haven't been there but the defensive game has looked much better.

He went from a -7 in his first 19 games to a +4 in the next 41 games. (in his last 18 games he's a +7)

Reactions: Tyson and HOPE

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Stauble started the year with major questions regarding his decision making but ended up playing a more conservative game. Part of me thinks these kids should play uninhibited to develop their offensive instincts while they are learnable. He can be reigned in in the ahl.

I think coaching will be a downfall of Canadian hockey. We are too system oriented and it obstructs talent development. I let my boys free wheel (9 year olds)

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009

If teams stay where they are, then expect Norlinder to sign with Frolünda.

Correct, Modo will not be promoted so he will likely trigger the SHL-clause in his excisting contract.
There has, however, not been any additional report on the destination.
And it's Frölunda... ;)

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Correct, Modo will not be promoted so he will likely trigger the SHL-clause in his excisting contract.
There has, however, not been any additional report on the destination.
And it's Frölunda... ;)

English speakers trying to pronounce Frölunda be like...

1000-cat-meme.jpg

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
They used to be called Västra (Western) Frölunda, be thankful they took off the geographical part of it. :)
As a north american interested in the language, Frölunda only has the ö sound that is a bit tricky, try växjö or skellefteå or even luleå to a certain extent are hard to pronounce for french/english people... Not trying to be cocky or a smartass, just having fun discussing a point of interest... Sorry i meant to reply to the "westerners trying to pronounce Frölunda" poster... No harm meant anyways ... No hockey... Bored lol

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
As a north american interested in the language, Frölunda only has the ö sound that is a bit tricky, try växjö or skellefteå or even luleå to a certain extent are hard to pronounce for french/english people... Not trying to be cocky or a smartass, just having fun discussing a point of interest... Sorry i meant to reply to the "westerners trying to pronounce Frölunda" poster... No harm meant anyways ... No hockey... Bored lol

You should try my last name

Sjöblom

I found it online but with a female first name but the pronunciation is correct.

Lisa Sjöblom pronunciation: How to pronounce Lisa Sjöblom in Swedish

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
Every time I make a reservation or have to give my name over the phone I am already prepared to spell. Only one time did I not have to spell my name and that was a woman who had a Swedish mother and who had spent quite a lot of time in Sweden.

Otherwise it is S like in Sam J like in Juliet and so on. :)
I feel you.
It's also been a strugle for me as well.
My name is Diogo but always end up being called Diego. Even if they start the right way It usually takes only but a few hours to revert back to Diego. At that point I am done corecting people.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
Point taken. :D
It's basically Froelunda.
Unless you're actually from Gothenborg, then its "FRRöööLunda-enna"!

Just stick to Froelunda and go soft on the L and the D.

I'll never forget how my Swedish teacher pronounced Frölunda. Both Frölunda and Djurgårdens tend to be pronounced terribly by North Americans. I used to pronounce it D-Jur-Gardens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad