GDT: #64 Red Wings @ Bruins (12:30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
He's a great 4th liner.

Who cares what ****ing line he plays on? He brings it every game and does everything he's asked to and more. Coach wants him on the top line? Good. He'll score a goal and drill ginormous Chara every chance he gets too. Play on the 4th line? You got it. Play goalie? Sure, why the **** not?

How can you not like that?

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
If you don't love Luke, there's something wrong with you.

I like Glendening, and his story from being undrafted to becoming a permanent fixture in Red Wings is great. BUT, I don't really care that much for 4th line grinders in the end. They are the most easily replaceable component of a hockey team.

And with Babs' unconditional love for stonehanded grinders you always kinda worry about these Glendenings and Clearys doing well 'cause you know it means they will find their way to a role they are not capable of playing (read: top 9) :laugh::laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Who cares what ****ing line he plays on? He brings it every game and does everything he's asked to and more. Coach wants him on the top line? Good. He'll score a goal and drill ginormous Chara every chance he gets too. Play on the 4th line? You got it. Play goalie? Sure, why the **** not?

I do. We all do. You should.

He's a good 4th liner, but that doesn't mean you can slot in anywhere. Stop being ridiculous.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit

A lot of posters subscribe to the 'all skill and no sandpaper' philosophy. You don't see a lot of those teams win Stanley Cups.

Slick13

Nov 22, 2013
Sorry. I forgot the sarcasm smiley there.

I realize this but I don't understand why this team would be much worse off spending four million dollars on our goaltending tandem instead of eight. There are clearly other glaring needs on the team and since "everyone" agrees Howard is middle of the road he clearly isn't good enough to make up for the defensive deficiencies of this team. So why spend the money?

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia

okay.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
I realize this but I don't understand why this team would be much worse off spending four million dollars on our goaltending tandem instead of eight. There are clearly other glaring needs on the team and since "everyone" agrees Howard is middle of the road he clearly isn't good enough to make up for the defensive deficiencies of this team. So why spend the money?

Howard lets in one as opposed to gustavssons four and you're talking about getting rid of.... howard.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
A lot of posters subscribe to the 'all skill and no sandpaper' philosophy. You don't see a lot of those teams win Stanley Cups.

Last time we won a Cup we were pretty damn skilled in the top 6..........

Can't remember any Glendening's up there in the line-up, that's for damn sure.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I do. We all do. You should.

He's a good 4th liner, but that doesn't mean you can slot in anywhere. Stop being ridiculous.

I'm saying, why does the line that he plays on matter when it comes to loving the player? He's doing everything his coach wants AND MORE, regardless of where he plays.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
So how is the game going, guys?

giphy.gif

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Putting Glen on a scoring line significantly hurts your shutdown, defensive 4th line while not really helping your scoring line. You are making one component significantly worse and not making a different component marginally better. It's an opportunity cost that doesn't make sense.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I love the fact that people are *****ing about Glendening being on the first line after he's scored a goal.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

Because the goaltending tandem would be a dumpster fire if Mrazek ever had a prolonged slump.

As you might have noticed this past free agency period, we weren't lacking for money to offer guys. 7yr, 38M for Niskanen, 2/10M for Boyle, etc.

Hell, we were looking to trade for Dion Phaneuf who is making a buttload of money. Yeah, we were trying to get Toronto to pick up part of the deal, but money's not been an issue for the Wings since 2011.

So, it completely is inconsequential whether we spend 8M on 2 goalies or 4M.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Last time we won a Cup we were pretty damn skilled in the top 6..........

Can't remember any Glendening's up there in the line-up, that's for damn sure.
And that was 7 years ago. Different roster. Franzen actually used his size and was a monster. Teams change.

I don't foresee Glendening being a mainstay on the top line, posters just love to ***** about something.

iDangleDangle

We Like Our Team
Jan 2, 2014
A bar
Putting Glen on a scoring line significantly hurts your shutdown, defensive 4th line while not really helping your scoring line. You are making one component significantly worse and not making a different component marginally better. It's an opportunity cost that doesn't make sense.

As a BBA student, I love the opportunity cost analogy :laugh: Spot on!

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
And that was 7 years ago. Different roster. Franzen actually used his size and was a monster. Teams change.

I don't foresee Glendening being a mainstay on the top line, posters just love to ***** about something.

We're going to lose this game regardless so who cares. As long as he doesn't stay there, I don't care.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad