GDT: #63: Sabres at FLYERS, Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Those who think Myers has played 'too well' to become a scratch are setting themselves up to be outraged on purpose.

Except he has played too well to be scratched, save for incompetence, which no one ruled out. He’s been demonstrably better than Hagg and MacDonald, two fringe NHL players; he’s been very good on his own merits too. People are not setting themselves up for anything. They’re speaking the truth. It’s worthy of outrage.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Why JVR on the 4th line?

A series of adjustments. The first line wasn't clicking to the staff's dismay. Patrick was to be rewarded for his recent play. Simmonds and JVR on the same line may not have worked. He was demoted to a fourth line earlier in the calendar year and had a discussion with the head coach about certain expectations. My guess is they hoped for a similar rebound with the demotion similar to when it happened prior.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Except he has played too well to be scratched, save for incompetence, which no one ruled out. He’s been demonstrably better than Hagg and MacDonald, two fringe NHL players; he’s been very good on his own merits too. People are not setting themselves up for anything. They’re speaking the truth. It’s worthy of outrage.

Yeah, it’s nice to think about. There’s a difference in getting spontaneously outraged in something you should expect to happen.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Looking forward to having Myers in the lineup again. That kid can play. Just imagine where the Flyers would be if they'd had Hart and Myers from the get-go this season.

The exact same place.

Hart clearly wasn't ready, he had a rough start in LHV and only turned it around his last few games before he was recalled.
Myers didn't stand out in TC the way he should, the extra half year helped him become more consistent.

Hextall and Fletcher seem remarkably consistent in being patient with prospects at the AHL level.
Then again, what prospect, other than Sanheim after he was sent down last year, has been so dominant they had to promote them? Even Lindblom last year had just started to turn the corner when he was promoted.

NHL scoring tends to be about 1/2 AHL scoring, so if a forward is putting up 0.5 ppg at ES, he's going to be 0.25 or less at the NHL level (since he's going to play fewer minutes and forget PP points) - so we're talking 20 points a year or 3rd/4th line production.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Morin won’t play this game. Gordon won’t put in someone with 2 NHL games and coming off of a major injury in the middle of a playoff hunt against teams ahead of them in the standings.

Only way Morin gets in the lineup is if they’re out of the playoffs. I’m ok with that too.

Well I think he has to be on the team at least at some point. He can only stay with the phantoms if he clears waivers and he won’t. So it’s benched or play but it’s with the Flyers. I would think they’d have him play. Only one way to get to game shape afterall

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Well I think he has to be on the team at least at some point. He can only stay with the phantoms if he clears waivers and he won’t. So it’s benched or play but it’s with the Flyers. I would think they’d have him play. Only one way to get to game shape afterall
Oh I agree. Sadly, I don’t know when “game shape” will be perceived ready by Gordon. I don’t think Gordon gives him time over the likes of Amac and Hagg. Myers has been the best Dman play-wise the first 2 games he played and it was like pulling teeth just to get him in the lineup.

Reactions: TheKingPin

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Oh I agree. Sadly, I don’t know when “game shape” will be perceived ready by Gordon. I don’t think Gordon gives him time over the likes of Amac and Hagg. Myers has been the best Dman play-wise the first 2 games he played and it was like pulling teeth just to get him in the lineup.
Yea seen that now over and over with the last two coaches. They have to be so patient and then the player kills it as soon as they get in. Morin will do the same. Hope for a trade for now and may need a injury if nothing happens there.

Reactions: CapnZin

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Those who think Myers has played 'too well' to become a scratch are setting themselves up to be outraged on purpose.

And what about those who claimed Ghost-Myers would be used as the 3rd pairing the last two games by Gordon? What were they doing?

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yea seen that now over and over with the last two coaches. They have to be so patient and then the player kills it as soon as they get in. Morin will do the same. Hope for a trade for now and may need a injury if nothing happens there.

I really don’t know what makes you think Morin is ready to kill it in the NHL after playing two AHL games in the past 10 months. He’s way behind where he would be in October after a full preseason and training camp, and the best thing they can do is go easy on him.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I really don’t know what makes you think Morin is ready to kill it in the NHL after playing two AHL games in the past 10 months. He’s way behind where he would be in October after a full preseason and training camp, and the best thing they can do is go easy on him.
I didn’t say he’s ready to play right now. I said when he gets in he will kill it. And it’s obviously a different scenario vs Myers.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Morin still has a game left in the AHL before the Flyers have to activate him. I can’t imagine he gets any NHL games until later on when the organization admits the games are totally meaningless if he does at all.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
This is definitely a must win. Sabres have been better the last couple of games but I hope this also means that Myers stays up. Seriously, Myers has been really good.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
And what about those who claimed Ghost-Myers would be used as the 3rd pairing the last two games by Gordon? What were they doing?

Falling into a false sense of security that someone finally forced A-Mac or Hagg into being the 7th defensemen

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Sadly, when it comes to generating legit outrage, this team is top notch.

Reactions: Philly Phish

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Myers will be scratched. Lockerroom dynamics mean more to the Flyers than playing the best players.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018

The Flyers trailed in both of those games, though. The first game was a 5-1 (3-0 with 10min gone in the first). In the second, the Flyers trailed since the half way thru the 2nd period. You put your better offensive players when you're losing.

But that doesn't mean that Gordon did not plan to play Myers/Ghost as the 2nd pair.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
The Flyers trailed in both of those games, though. The first game was a 5-1 (3-0 with 10min gone in the first). In the second, the Flyers trailed since the half way thru the 2nd period. You put your better offensive players when you're losing.

But that doesn't mean that Gordon did not plan to play Myers/Ghost as the 2nd pair.
Who knows what Gordon will do? Trying to read his mind is like trying to read a badly written comic book.

Reactions: VladDrag

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

Morin still has a game left in the AHL before the Flyers have to activate him. I can’t imagine he gets any NHL games until later on when the organization admits the games are totally meaningless if he does at all.

Morin recalled!

Reactions: BiggE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad