Post-Game Talk: #63 | Panthers 1 at FLYERS 2 (2-1 in SO)| Thursday, March 2, 2017

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
What a ****ing onslaught. How is it that we get stoned night after night?
shotLoc-2016020938-PHI-EV.png

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Ive complained about shot quality a lot this season, but last night that wasn't the problem. if they keep playing like that, the floodgates will open

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
What a ****ing onslaught. How is it that we get stoned night after night?
shotLoc-2016020938-PHI-EV.png

Well, our shot quality typically isn't that good :laugh:

It looks like our centers are definitely more active lately. Giroux is making appearances in the slot again, Couturier is around the net, and Bellemare isn't playing as much like a 1920s rover.

Thank God. They badly needed to take some risks to create better chances. Hopefully it keeps up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Describing Lyubimov as a marginal KHLer is pretty ridiculous.

He was one of - if not the - premier defensive winger in the league over the last two years and a shoe-in for team Russia all last season.

If he were on pretty much any team but CSKA he would have been on the 2nd line at worst... it tells you a lot about CSKA that Lyubimov got more TOI when he played for Russia. They are like the Rangers before salary cap.

He didn't score until last season in the KHL, before that he was an offensive cipher. Thought maybe he had turned the corner, but watching him here I don't get any sense that he has playmaking skills or much in the way of hockey IQ. He has shown zero scoring skills this season, nor is he a great defensive player.

His strong point is skating, hustle and willingness to go into corners, but jeez, make a play once a week, will ya?

Now I'm willing to accept this is growing pains, but he's no youngster. Kinda like Raffl lite, very lite.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
He didn't score until last season in the KHL, before that he was an offensive cipher. Thought maybe he had turned the corner, but watching him here I don't get any sense that he has playmaking skills or much in the way of hockey IQ. He has shown zero scoring skills this season, nor is he a great defensive player.

His strong point is skating, hustle and willingness to go into corners, but jeez, make a play once a week, will ya?

Now I'm willing to accept this is growing pains, but he's no youngster. Kinda like Raffl lite, very lite.

He makes more plays than the wonder twins

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com

He scored at a higher rate in 14-15 than 15-16.

Did you watch him for CSKA, or Russia? He was the premier 3rd liner in the league playing behind basically an All-star group of forwards. He played vs the best lines the other team had every night and generally came out on top.

Hence why he was playing for the Russian national team! No-where near a fringe KHLer.

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Hopefully, the number of shots Filppula took is a good sign of him looking to be a scorer rather than solely a playmaker. In the main-board discussion of the trade, there were several comments by Lightning fans that Filppula was a pass-first forward to a fault.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

I'm not sure there is an accurate statement in any of this word salad.

Flyerss

Jun 23, 2013
q8RVz8d.png

I'll never forget that shot circled in red for the rest of my life. Schultz almost took someone heads off everybody was ducking to avoid it.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hopefully, the number of shots Filppula took is a good sign of him looking to be a scorer rather than solely a playmaker. In the main-board discussion of the trade, there were several comments by Lightning fans that Filppula was a pass-first forward to a fault.

Indeed. Most indeed. The team needs more shooters, and we have since parting with Gagne and Carter.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
He scored at a higher rate in 14-15 than 15-16.

Did you watch him for CSKA, or Russia? He was the premier 3rd liner in the league playing behind basically an All-star group of forwards. He played vs the best lines the other team had every night and generally came out on top.

Hence why he was playing for the Russian national team! No-where near a fringe KHLer.

Then why is he so bad here?
Nor was he that great in Russia
2014-15 46g 6-7 13
2015-16 52g 7-7 14
Now the weird thing is he played better in the playoffs
2 years 27g 8-6 14
Since playoff hockey at all levels is more intense and against better competition (you've eliminated the weak sisters), it's usually a better indicator of a player's upside than regular season performance. This is why I expected more from him.

He's got good size, he skates well, he goes into the corner after the puck, but it's not just that he's not scoring, he's not even making plays. Right now he reminds me of a slower Rinaldo. He's got 1 assist in 45 games.

Weird thing is he does put up good CorsiRel and GFrel numbers.
And his scoring per60 5x5 is bad, but not Weise bad.
But you should get a half dozen assists just sending it back to a defenseman at the point.

If he was 21, I'd say, ok, he's probably struggling with a higher level of play and needs to work on his game, but he turned 25 in January. How much upside does he have?

I think for him to stick he has to be a PK guy, where I think he could excel given his size and speed, harassing defensemen at the point and chasing the puck.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
2014-15 46g 6-7 13
2015-16 52g 7-7 14
2 years 27g 8-6 14
Since playoff hockey at all levels is more intense and against better competition (you've eliminated the weak sisters), it's usually a better indicator of a player's upside than regular season performance. This is why I expected more from him.

He's got good size, he skates well, he goes into the corner after the puck, but it's not just that he's not scoring, he's not even making plays. Right now he reminds me of a slower Rinaldo. He's got 1 assist in 45 games.

But you should get a half dozen assists just sending it back to a defenseman at the point.

If he was 21, I'd say, ok, he's probably struggling with a higher level of play and needs to work on his game, but he turned 25 in January. How much upside does he have?

I think for him to stick he has to be a PK guy, where I think he could excel given his size and speed, harassing defensemen at the point and chasing the puck.

Does. Not. Compute.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
2014-15 46g 6-7 13
2015-16 52g 7-7 14
2 years 27g 8-6 14

He got more TOI in the play-offs as the opponents best players played more. So his coach used him more to match them off the ice.

Firstly no-one on the team is scoring well, secondly playing with PEB and VdV surely has not helped. He cannot get an assist to save his life for good reason! Hence the 4 goals and 1 assist.

He has been put with the lowest scoring forward in the NHL over the last 3 years and the 13th lowest (out of 289...).

Without Lyubimov PEB and VdVs Corsi drops by 4% in VdV's case and 2% in PEB's case.

And yeh, he should be on the PK.

I mean, I don't think he is anything special. I would have been very happy had he shown to be a good ~20 point 4th line wing who could bring value on the PK. I don't think he has really been given the chance to show much though. He excelled on the PK for Russia and CSKA, yet has never been given PK minutes!

But he was no-where close to being a fringe KHLer, which was my original point of contention. You dont play for Russia when you are a fringe KHLer... or play key minutes on the best team in the KHL.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I agree with everything. I don't think Lyubimov is anything special and he's replaceable, but for the life of me, I cannot fathom how a player who plays for Team Russia, and has shown no issue playing the NA game, can be in and out of the lineup and not given much of a chance but Chris VandeVelde -- AHL talent, career journeyman, and nepotism extraordinaire -- can be absolutely irreplaceable. It's just awful. Just like Medvedev and Manning last year, if I'm a Russian free agent I look elsewhere to sign in the NHL as long as Hakstol is here.

If we somehow got a Panarin talent, I'm convinced Hakstol would misuse him and send him packing back to Russia after the year.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Amazing that he's going to complain about Lyubimov's lack of offense and completely ignore both who he plays with and how much he plays...

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I doubt he gets re-signed.

There's enough new blood coming next year and Hakstol has made it very clear that he doesn't plan to use him on the PK for some stupid reason. So if he doesn't PK or put up a 3rd line level of points there's really no reason to keep him in the lineup over guys like Lindblom, Leier, Laughton, or even a long shot like NAK. .

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It may well be that he struggled in practice, there's a lot we don't see, how good is his english? Did he grasp the team concepts? Once the ST units were set, and started to play well (they've gone from #20+ to #13 on the PK the last month or two) Hakstol may not have wanted to mess with what was working.

If Luby returns, I'd suspect it would be a clean slate in TC, with a year of NHL hockey under his belt, he'd get a chance to win a steady job on the 4th line and the PK. His competition will probably be Leier, Laughton and Weise/Read, depending on the ED and if they add a forward to the top 9 (or keep Weal/Cousins for that role). He'd have an edge as a PK guy over this group.

Even if they resign VdV, it won't guarantee him a job, he only got paid $700K this year and anything under a million means he can be sent down to the AHL with no cap ramifications. Hextall might bring him back as the "14th forward" in LHV, and he might be willing to take that role for a NHL contract.

Delete99991

May 9, 2013
Lub hasn't been given an honest chance this year.

He brings energy and terrific forechecking but needs more time to find his game in the NHL. Shame that some other team will probably give him the ice he needs next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad