Post-Game Talk: #63 | Panthers 1 at FLYERS 2 (2-1 in SO)| Thursday, March 2, 2017

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The top 9 forwards all had at least twice as much ES ice time as the 4th line. Hopefully it continues.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
The top 9 forwards all had at least twice as much ES ice time as the 4th line. Hopefully it continues.

Well to be honest, most of them deserved it. They all played well. That Couturier line was out all the time it felt like, I didn't check the TOI, but Hakstol was really riding them.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I do see a big ole issue.

MacDonald led the team in TOI.

edit: nevermind, I was looking at something wrong. Provorov did. By a lot.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I still turn off the game before the SO and declare the Flyers the loser.

It's worked a lot.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
40-28-17
10-51-93
11-14-25
76-78-24/22

I think swapping 11 for 24 doesn't hurt the 3rd line that much defensively, and certainly helps offensively. Its too bad 12 is injured because 11-14-12 would be a very nice line.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I like Raffl and what he brings, but he's such a zero in the scoring department, I really don't mind him not being around the Top 3 lines anymore. We need guys that can score. That 3rd line has Couts/TK so that's a good start, Cousins is a nice agitator, but he's similar in the Raffl mold.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I like Raffl and what he brings, but he's such a zero in the scoring department, I really don't mind him not being around the Top 3 lines anymore. We need guys that can score. That 3rd line has Couts/TK so that's a good start, Cousins is a nice agitator, but he's similar in the Raffl mold.
Yep, I mean 3 assists? That's laughable. He's spent most of the season on the top line as well.
Without his little hot streak he wouldn't even have 10 points. Right now he's a 4th line player.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'll take these numbers any time. Zero OZ faceoffs, too.

Bellemare: 8CF 9CA in 7:07 of ES ice time
VdV: 8 CF 8CA in 6:19 of ES ice time

http://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20162017&game=20938

Don't look now, but we're up to #13 in PK %.
Somehow the wonder twins get the job done.
Maybe because the defensemen and goalies are playing better?

When TK comes back, this will be their normal usage, I don't think Hakstol ever wanted to use them more than this, but when you only have 6 reliable forwards (at best, G and Schenn haven't been that reliable this season), you don't have good decisions. Schenn at RW >> Schenn at C.

Please don't tell me Luby has a role, I've never seen anyone touch the puck as much and do so little, at least Weise sets screens in the crease. I'm starting to wonder if Luby can improve, he hustles, but just seems to pass to empty ice or shoot at the crowd. The downside of promising a roster spot to a Russian b/c he really needs a year in the AHL.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Wasn't sure where to put this - my brother is a big Flyers fan. Heading to the 3/16 game in NJ for his birthday, and I'm looking to get him a Filppula shirt to go along with the tickets.

I know it's been like 36 hours since the trade, but where can I expect to find one? I may live in Philly but I sure as hell don't buy Flyers gear, so anything helps. thanks

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Wasn't sure where to put this - my brother is a big Flyers fan. Heading to the 3/16 game in NJ for his birthday, and I'm looking to get him a Filppula shirt to go along with the tickets.

I know it's been like 36 hours since the trade, but where can I expect to find one? I may live in Philly but I sure as hell don't buy Flyers gear, so anything helps. thanks

Dicks Sporting Goods or Modells would be the easiest place.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hmmmmmmmmm I just realized...

Filppula jumped in to the lineup a day after coming here...

But I've been told by a certain poster that guys can't just jump into Hakstols system and that's why Lyubimov was benched for so long at the start of the season.... he had to learn the system by practicing and not playing...

Almost as if that's not true and was just a pathetic excuse...

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Or maybe a solid 10 year NHL veteran can adjust to any system?
Versus say a marginal KHL player?

Flipper looks much like the forward version of Provorov, that innate sense of the game where you know to cover for your teammates instinctively. Watched him cycle behind the attacking D-man a couple times.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Do you constantly just drum things up to try and prove your point? It is ok to be wrong.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Describing Lyubimov as a marginal KHLer is pretty ridiculous.

He was one of - if not the - premier defensive winger in the league over the last two years and a shoe-in for team Russia all last season.

If he were on pretty much any team but CSKA he would have been on the 2nd line at worst... it tells you a lot about CSKA that Lyubimov got more TOI when he played for Russia. They are like the Rangers before salary cap.

Flyerfan4life

Jun 9, 2010
Richmond BC, Canada
Hmmmmmmmmm I just realized...

Filppula jumped in to the lineup a day after coming here...

But I've been told by a certain poster that guys can't just jump into Hakstols system and that's why Lyubimov was benched for so long at the start of the season.... he had to learn the system by practicing and not playing...

Almost as if that's not true and was just a pathetic excuse...

more like Filp jumped in and did his own thing as he knows how to play..

im sure Haks will change how he plays and neuter him in no time like hes done with everyone else

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Please don't tell me Luby has a role, I've never seen anyone touch the puck as much and do so little, at least Weise sets screens in the crease. I'm starting to wonder if Luby can improve, he hustles, but just seems to pass to empty ice or shoot at the crowd. The downside of promising a roster spot to a Russian b/c he really needs a year in the AHL.

Sheer nonsense.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
If Lyubimov wasn't resigned I wouldn't cry, but I like the guy, he's better than VDV. I wouldn't mind if he and PEB stuck around on the 4th line and maybe added Leier/Laughton or maybe Raffl/Read can pick up that wing.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If Lyubimov wasn't resigned I wouldn't cry, but I like the guy, he's better than VDV. I wouldn't mind if he and PEB stuck around on the 4th line and maybe added Leier/Laughton or maybe Raffl/Read can pick up that wing.

I would be seriously aggravated - I already am, just thinking about it - and it would be 100% down to this dunce coach, because even though Hexy makes the decisions on signings, the dunce coach is the one who keeps benching him in lieu of his horrible son, and the coach would be the one telling Hexy we don't need him. It's irritating.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Don't look now, but we're up to #13 in PK %.
Somehow the wonder twins get the job done.
Maybe because the defensemen and goalies are playing better?

When TK comes back, this will be their normal usage, I don't think Hakstol ever wanted to use them more than this, but when you only have 6 reliable forwards (at best, G and Schenn haven't been that reliable this season), you don't have good decisions. Schenn at RW >> Schenn at C.

Interestingly enough flyers are allowing 5th least amount of shots against when shorthanded behind Washington, Carolina, LA and Boston. That is jump from 9th place last season. Provy and Simmer are definitely having impact on personnel side of things.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad