Post-Game Talk: #63: Oilers at Flyers, Thursday, March 3, 2016

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Yeah, I don't know that we have anyone that could effectively counter McDavid. Maybe Ghost could read the play well enough and use his speed to keep up, but he had a way less than stellar defensive night.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
To be honest, Edmonton isn't the same team we saw a few months ago, they finally have a real HC, they made some deadline deals to add some guys who play hockey instead of figure skate, and they have some really talented young players who can fly. This could be a really good team in a couple years if they actually develop players.

But that 2nd period was crazy, two posts then they get burnt.

Some games just happen like that.

But it did expose what we knew, that Hextall has a lot of work to do, which he knows, which is why he's been preaching patience. This team simply isn't deep enough to lose a top 4 defenseman (MDZ) and a 1st line winger (V) and play consistently good hockey.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
One thing to take solace in, is that Edmonton has all their future talent (minus their pick this season) already on the team. Most of our future is a year or two away. Its not like we currently have our finished team and we're trying to contend right now but cant beat the Oilers or play consistent hockey. If we're playing like this when all our D prospects and forward prospects are on the team, hit the panic button. Until then, understand that every once in a while, we're gonna get beat badly.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
One thing to take solace in, is that Edmonton has all their future talent (minus their pick this season) already on the team. Most of our future is a year or two away. Its not like we currently have our finished team and we're trying to contend right now but cant beat the Oilers or play consistent hockey. If we're playing like this when all our D prospects and forward prospects are on the team, hit the panic button. Until then, understand that every once in a while, we're gonna get beat badly.
Still should have been ready to play against an average team at best. I don't care if we win or not right now because we won't beat the best in this league but the ****ing periods missed and last night the 1st and 3rd missed is ******** and that's been going on for 4 years now. Leafs are terrible but the effort is there every night and you can barely beat them.

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
Still should have been ready to play against an average team at best. I don't care if we win or not right now because we won't beat the best in this league but the ****ing periods missed and last night the 1st and 3rd missed is ******** and that's been going on for 4 years now. Leafs are terrible but the effort is there every night and you can barely beat them.

For at least the first two periods, i thought the effort waa there but they weren't executing. Pucks slipping off their sticks, firing high and wide, errant passes. They looked like they did at the beginning of the year where nothing was going right. I think we'll see better execution in the next game.

I was a little distracted during the 3rd so i dont have any comments on that

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The fact that White is on the PP over Laughton and Cousins should be ringing a lot of alarm bells. White belongs nowhere near the PP in any circumstance. AMac should also be replaced by Meds. No ****ing idea why Meds wasn't on the PP.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
For at least the first two periods, i thought the effort waa there but they weren't executing. Pucks slipping off their sticks, firing high and wide, errant passes. They looked like they did at the beginning of the year where nothing was going right. I think we'll see better execution in the next game.

I was a little distracted during the 3rd so i dont have any comments on that
I hope they come out with more fire then that. Calgary game was the same where they just quit in the 3rd and almost blew it. No coach is teaching that. That's the players attiude I think.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
The fact that White is on the PP over Laughton and Cousins should be ringing a lot of alarm bells. White belongs nowhere near the PP in any circumstance. AMac should also be replaced by Meds. No ****ing idea why Meds wasn't on the PP.
Mac to the minors. He looks so bad and brings nothing good to this team. Hate him paired with our young dman that's in a learning curve himself.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
Haven't heard anything about Brayden Schenn which pretty much confirms what I've suspected all along: He clearly has an adamantium skeleton and the Wolverine franchise was loosely based off him.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Haven't heard anything about Brayden Schenn which pretty much confirms what I've suspected all along: He clearly has an adamantium skeleton and the Wolverine franchise was loosely based off him.

There is an optional practice today and the likelihood an update coming at the earliest later this afternoon, it wouldn't surprise me if the team released as few details as possible until some point tomorrow.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I just posted in the GTD.

He's possibly questionable tomorrow, team will have update then. What team has an update if the player isn't injured?

If he does have a concussion, he's probably gone for a week.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I just posted in the GTD.

He's possibly questionable tomorrow, team will have update then. What team has an update if the player isn't injured?

If he does have a concussion, he's probably gone for a week.

An indicator will be if there is an AHL callup or perhaps the activation of Jordan Weal which is expected within the week. For a singular game, there is the availability of Umberger but for practice purposes, there is the general desire to have a spare forward. Right now, Umberger is the 13th forward and lone reserve at the position.

Last edited:

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
When I saw him get up and just sit on the bench for his next shift, I was like "my god, he's made of concrete"

Seriously, most guys would need to be carried off the ice. That was brutal.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
On the goal yes but the other odd man rushes no. Coots line shouldn't have bee out against a great player like that. G line should have went head to head.

Couturier is good enough to shut down all of the other top players in the world, why not McDavid? It's probably a learning experience. Next time will be better.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
There's also a solid chance that there isn't anybody who can really shut down McDavid. That speed is overwhelming. You can be in the right position on a rush, and you'll soon be out of position because he will get around you much faster than you can keep up. Even if you hold against him on a cycle, on the rush he's just lethal. Like I said last night, he reminds me of young Ovechkin with the way he can overpower a team with sheer speed.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Our team can't shut him down yet but in time he will. All great players get shut down but it's wether the great players throw in the towel while being shut down or do they keep going hard to the finish.

TheLegendkiller

Sep 2, 2009
There's also a solid chance that there isn't anybody who can really shut down McDavid. That speed is overwhelming. You can be in the right position on a rush, and you'll soon be out of position because he will get around you much faster than you can keep up. Even if you hold against him on a cycle, on the rush he's just lethal. Like I said last night, he reminds me of young Ovechkin with the way he can overpower a team with sheer speed.

Somebody should just peel his muffin-cap back blue. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad