6'2"+ vs. 6'1" and under current/all-time team.

Who wins?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Well, you could probably just cross Messier off, he'd be suspended after his first accidental elbow, same with Stevens and Pronger.

I think the second team wins if the first team actually plays by todays rules.

Depends which era's rules we play with. It's always tricky when comparing 2 different eras, it was a completely different game back then. If we play with the old rules Pronger/Stevens/Messier would probably injure half the team by themselves

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Depends which era's rules we play with. It's always tricky when comparing 2 different eras, it was a completely different game back then. If we play with the old rules Pronger/Stevens/Messier would probably injure half the team by themselves
its not like they couldnt adjust their game.... Stevens and Pronger were still some of the most dominant defensive Dmen of all-time, let alone two of the greatest playoff performers ever, "illegal hits" or not.

Reactions: authentic

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Gretzky + Howe + Orr on one team, with Hasek in net? Not close. 2nd best Defenseman all time is a nice bonus too.

Why do people keep bringing up the "old" rules and ignoring Gordie Howe and Chelios are on the small team? There really isn't that many goons on the bigger team, some mean players, but not like Probert or the Boogeyman are lacing up. A lot of the guys on the smaller team played in the 80's/90's and DPE and weren't repeatedly stretchered away.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why do people keep bringing up the "old" rules and ignoring Gordie Howe and Chelios are on the small team? There really isn't that many goons on the bigger team, some mean players, but not like Probert or the Boogeyman are lacing up. A lot of the guys on the smaller team played in the 80's/90's and DPE and weren't repeatedly stretchered away.

HF has this weird notion that any skill guy from today's game wouldn't survive in the rough and tumble 80's and 90's, ignoring the fact the vast majority of the "elite" guys from those eras were in the 5'11 to 6'1 range. And a lot of them were non-physical, too. So it's not like every star running around was a Messier or Trottier.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Too many all-time greats in the 5'11-6'1 range. 6'1 and under wins even with a couple generous round ups for guys like Messier and Roy.

joe-sakic-patrick-roy-josh-kroenke-nhl-colorado-avalanche-patrick-roy-press-conference.jpg

2eb0fdd36aebe39254d9051c06179957.jpg

Reactions: Howe Elbows 9

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
It depends on what the refs are willing to let the refs getaway with. :sarcasm: ... Honestly, it's a wash. The taller team, it's more dynamic when it comes to not only player roles but physicality as well. I feel the taller team would have better special teams overall. I also feel like Roy is a mentally tougher goalie over a 7 game series. So I just went with the taller team.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
Imagine somehow managing to generate a good chance against that team tall D and looking up and seeing prime Roy. Would love to have them mic'd. :laugh:

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
I'd give it to the tall team, but only by a hair.

Skill-wise, it's a wash but playoff attrition is a thing and if they were to play a tight defensive system it'd be tough for the small team to have sustained success and not get battered (now of course smaller guys like Sid, Datsyuk and Kane have done well against rougher teams like the Flyers who are known for team toughness, but it's another level when there's 4 lines of heavy guys who can take away your ice in a hurry).

Agreed with someone else that there should be a sub-6' team, which would still be pretty good.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Average American male is 5'9" tall.

For anyone thinking height does not matter anymore, try compiling teams from both 5'9" and under versus players over 5'9". There are probably kids on both sides with equal skill, but taller players perform better in games.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

I know this is an exaggeration and that team would likely fair better if this was the 90s, but watching a lot of old games featuring these players it's not like they were consistently injuring everyone. Gretzky and many other players of his stature survived just fine for the most part during the 80s and 90s.

I think these teams would be a good match no matter the era and rules they played with, I don't believe it would be nearly as simple as "Team A has 3 of the big 4 so of course they would win", that size and toughness would be a massive chore to go up against in a 7 game series and they clearly do not lack speed and skill either, just as the other team still has players like Forsberg and Howe. I still am unsure of who I think would win. It would probably go the distance anyway.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
I'll go with the smaller team. They have 4 of the top 5 best players of all time. And it's not like they wouldn't play a tough, gritty game that stacks up well against the bigger team. Guys like Howe, Orr, Forsberg, Crosby, and Potvin would be right at home playing grinding playoff-style hockey.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Put the guy with the best goals per game % in on the 2nd team...

I take the 2nd team's skill.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Too many all-time greats in the 5'11-6'1 range. 6'1 and under wins even with a couple generous round ups for guys like Messier and Roy.

joe-sakic-patrick-roy-josh-kroenke-nhl-colorado-avalanche-patrick-roy-press-conference.jpg

2eb0fdd36aebe39254d9051c06179957.jpg

Mess and Gretz are the same height lol. These two should be together.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I just noticed that. Why is Messier listed among the 6'2+ crowd? He's always been listed at 6'1 in every publication I recall reading.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I just noticed that. Why is Messier listed among the 6'2+ crowd? He's always been listed at 6'1 in every publication I recall reading.

He's listed as 6'2" on nhl.com, I just gathered all the heights from there. Scott Stevens is listed as 6'0" on hockey db, but I swear he seemed 6'2". 6'1" seems about right for Messier.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
The scouting list for Team Tiny seems truncated (sorry). With the exception of Howe and Orr, it doesn't really go back that far. Richard or Shore would be interesting, and they'd add some insurance against the giants getting too frisky. I'd also put a pure defensive guy with Coffey to let him do his thing. Not sure who that would be though.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Pronger - Lidstrom

Upgrading from Niedermayer to Lidstrom here.
That defensive pairing is the most intriguing line combination out of both teams for me.

Reactions: authentic

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
The scouting list for Team Tiny seems truncated (sorry). With the exception of Howe and Orr, it doesn't really go back that far. Richard or Shore would be interesting, and they'd add some insurance against the giants getting too frisky. I'd also put a pure defensive guy with Coffey to let him do his thing. Not sure who that would be though.

Chelios was an absolute beast defensively...

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
Chelios was an absolute beast defensively...
You're not wrong. But as a guy who put up nearly 1000 points as a defenceman, I wonder if he'd be content to sit back all the time while Coffey flew around the ice, though he certainly had the ability to keep things cool in his own zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad